News:

• May 14, 2024, 07:54:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Covering coming off of arf's  (Read 2474 times)

Offline Gary Anderson

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Covering coming off of arf's
« on: March 15, 2011, 08:31:19 PM »
Hi guys,

I have several of the arf's and the covering is coming off. I've tried C/A, oil remover, box tape, hot glue. thumb tacks, epoxy glue. Nothing seems to work for me, SO!!!! the big question: "WHAT'S THE ANSWER, WHO KNOWS HOW TO GET THE DARN COVERING TO STICK AGAIN?????? I tried to drive nails thru the covering and that didn't work either, what the hiccup doc??????? HELP!!!!!HELP?????

NOT HAVING HEAVEN IN CLOVIS
GARY
Gary Anderson

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Covering coming off of arf's
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:10 PM »

I have several of the arf's and the covering is coming off. I've tried C/A, oil remover, box tape, hot glue. thumb tacks, epoxy glue. Nothing seems to work for me, SO!!!! the big question: "WHAT'S THE ANSWER, WHO KNOWS HOW TO GET THE DARN COVERING TO STICK AGAIN?????? I tried to drive nails thru the covering and that didn't work either, what the hiccup doc??????? HELP!!!!!HELP?????

My first guess would be heat. But I think you would do better stripping it off and covering with something better - preferably before the first flight.

Brett

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 05:09:01 AM »
sealing the "trim lines" helps too.
ARFs are typically covered with plastic film that is available on the open market...so methods to keep it adhered are the same as those suggested on the rolls at the hobby shops.

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 08:43:43 AM »
Peel and recover. Aside from that, peel back non stuck covering and spray K2R (the dry cleaning/talc in a spray can) on balsa. Remove talc dust. Do again in order to suck out fuel residue. Do again. Balsarite works better than anything else I've found. Not 100%. I've hopes for my new ARF Vector. After ironing down the covering, carefully, I have sealed and sealed again and sealed again all the covering edges with trim seal.  One fellow I met at Brodak who had a spotless prissy looking ARF said his secret was to scotch bright all the covering intersections and seal them with dope, 4 times. Another fellow, after heat sealing, sprays his new ARF with two part urethane clear. He says the covering definitely does not lift. Got to hand it to the new poisonous paints with a nuclear  half-life.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 10:29:04 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 10:28:03 AM »
Move on to ARCs. Then you only have to figure out how to hack out the bellcrank so the leadouts can be attached with wrapping wire. So that after a first rate covering job and a meticulously applied finish worthy of 19 points in Open or Advanced, the lines don't pull out splat. Also hope your given ARC has no major warps that resist EVERY METHOD you can can think of to make straight, keep straight. There is of course the time saving approach of building an actual kit, what was called a kit at one time, I think, (are they still manufactured), that box of flat stuff that somehow someway builds into 3-D. How do they do that. I am very nearly persuaded.

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:44:07 PM »
  ???  :o Maybe the use of the Monocote liquid trim sealer, can resolve the problem? I used it on my tutorII a few years ago, and the trim around the engine area, never came loose again.
  #^  y1

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 10:23:37 AM »
I think the first step in the instructions on any ARF should be the following.   1.  Scrub the overall surface with a cleanser to remove all manufacturing oils.   2.  Slightly buff the overall surface with a foam scrubbing pad.   3. Wipe down surface again.   4.  Spray or brush over coat of clear dope or automotive two part clear.   

The easier way is to just buff the edges of all the seams and brush on a coat of clear dope.   
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 07:23:28 PM »
I know that I'm not going to offer any constructive advice on this and for that my apologies.
I stopped buying the precovered ones long ago like after the second one was developing leprosy and shedding it's covering. I buy the ARC version simply because it makes it easier to inspect and redo anything that I don't like. Also I generally want a different design on mine then every other of the same arf on the fiels.
Most of the precovered models have this problem I guess simply because they allow no overlap to seal the edges. On my first one there actually was a bare spot that they apparently forgot to do.
The arc's have been useful to me for practice ships and also some were models that I would ordinarily not have built.It gave me a chance to sample them and then I bought a kit.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Vander Kuur

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
Use a Q-Tip to apply a very thin layer of MINWAX Wipe-On Poly over the plastic covering seams. Of course, it is best to do this when the plane is new.  However, you can also try it on a used plane after thoroughly cleaning the covering seams.
I've used this method on numerous models and both the seams and trim stripes are still intact after many years of service.

http://www.minwax.com/products/interior_clear_protective_finishes/wipe_on_poly.html

DennisV
Dennis L. Vander Kuur
AMA 29292

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 08:50:40 PM »
On my Score I covered all the edges of the white base color and trim colors with strips of clear Monokote. It took about a week of evenings to do this. It was a little tricky because the Score is not covered with Monokote even though it is advertised as such. The Score's covering, and especially the colored adhesives underneath it, will not tolerate the very high temperatures of Monokote. Nevertheless I eventually did it with relatively little over shrinkage and color bleed of the stock covering. The effort was worth it. After 3 seasons of flying with an ST .60 and cleaning off the heavy Castor residue, the covering is still intact. I have an ARF Flite Streak flying (a lot) since 2002 and there are no problems with the stock covering. Ditto with 3 ARF Noblers that have been flying for 6 to 7 seasons. Those early ARFs seem to be covered with real Monokote. All I did was go over the seams and any trim color lines with a hot iron and/or trim tool. On the Score and most of the Brodak ARFs except the SV-11 and T-Rex, the coloring will peal off relatively quickly unless the trim lines are sealed with clear Monokote. A somewhat easier alternative is 3M clear vinyl tape. It's good for 2 or 3 seasons but Monokote lasts as long as the model.  EWP   

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 10:16:22 PM »
Move on to ARCs. Then you only have to figure out how to hack out the bellcrank so the leadouts can be attached with wrapping wire. So that after a first rate covering job and a meticulously applied finish worthy of 19 points in Open or Advanced, the lines don't pull out splat. Also hope your given ARC has no major warps that resist EVERY METHOD you can can think of to make straight, keep straight. There is of course the time saving approach of building an actual kit, what was called a kit at one time, I think, (are they still manufactured), that box of flat stuff that somehow someway builds into 3-D. How do they do that. I am very nearly persuaded.

One way to keep these problems from creeping up on one is buy an ARC that comes with quality hardware in the first place. UHP stuff is top notch. Quit buyin' the bargain basement stuff.
Chris...

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
Some use simple hair spray on a clean model before the engine is fired.

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2011, 05:18:42 PM »
One way to keep these problems from creeping up on one is buy an ARC that comes with quality hardware in the first place. UHP stuff is top notch. Quit buyin' the bargain basement stuff.
Chris...

Chris, It was made in the same factory as all of the others and to tell you the truth the example that I got didn't impress me a whole lot.In fact there was so much wrong with it, it is still unfinished. And at the time it was the most expensive ARF on the market. You do not necessarily get the best for your money when dealing with Chinese merchandise. And to be fair the other importer stands behind his product and will replace anything deemed defective. I have no argument with Steve Moon but I also have no idea on how quality issues are addressed by him. and no I didn't contact him on my kit. Sometime I'll rebuild it. While I'm sure that he does an admirable job I have nothing but affirmatives for JB and his products.
Dennis

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
ARFs are CHEAP. The quality given the price is amazing. Lots of folks assemble and fly ARFs the way they came out of the box. Tweaking this and that. Or ignoring this and that. Imperfections drive me nuts. At least the ones I have the ability to judge and see. Especially when it comes to the straightness of the bird and durability. Hard for me to trust crimped lead outs. Period. Well, I've seen many fly crimped lead out planes for years. Warps can be difficult or not so difficult to rectify. Peeling covering can be coped with. Warps are inevitable given the balsa construction and the trip these birdies take across the ocean. After doing four or five ARFs I am begrudgingly coming to the opinion that building my own stuff will probably be the way I go.

Offline BrianW517

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 07:23:51 PM »
  S?P  D>K There are a few members in my CL Club CME that have removed the ARF covering to replace and reconstruct the ARF's so that they are comfortable in flying them. They are from the old school of show me Missouri State of mind. They are used to building from plans & sticks.  y1  H^^

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
Chris, It was made in the same factory as all of the others and to tell you the truth the example that I got didn't impress me a whole lot.In fact there was so much wrong with it, it is still unfinished. And at the time it was the most expensive ARF on the market. You do not necessarily get the best for your money when dealing with Chinese merchandise. And to be fair the other importer stands behind his product and will replace anything deemed defective. I have no argument with Steve Moon but I also have no idea on how quality issues are addressed by him. and no I didn't contact him on my kit. Sometime I'll rebuild it. While I'm sure that he does an admirable job I have nothing but affirmatives for JB and his products.
Dennis

Hi Dennis,
Oh man, too bad. Mine is straight as a string and well glued, even.
Unfortunately I won't be building it now that the AMA rules are now against using ARC's in competition. Too bad that has happened as now the event seems doomed. It also seems that kits designed for construction of other than balsa wood are systematically being negatively effected.

In 1991 the Adamisin's had a kit that was sheeted foam wing, fibreglass fuse. It was killed by what I call the "Guillows crowd". (Guillows estimates that 90% of their sales of kits are never built!!!)

I'll probably never fly Stunt again. Not enough time to build ships from sticks. He)), I can build an RC Scale model in less time, fibreglass fuse kits have been allowed for 35 years!
Chris...

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 08:47:05 AM »
Last post I read on SSW stated that if you were legal last year you're legal this year. I suppose that could mean that some planes that flew last year did not meet the standard for BOM, but were not challenged. I doubt that an ARC plane would be challenged this year. Also sounds to me as tho the Sharks will be allowed to fly.

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 04:16:45 PM »
Too late for me. With Bill's "new sheriff in town" letters and the recent news from Trostle, then my reading the AMA rule book, it seemed that there was a new backlash against progressing to newer materials and pre-fabrication. Even pre-sheeted foamers against the rules, even though they've been OK since 1966. I simply stopped construction and changed my plans.
Oh well.
Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:54:28 AM »
That means that last years planes must have the little stamp from processing, or do they do that in stunt.   I know we do it in racing and carrier.

And Chris,  if anyone still has a problem with sheeted foam wings should have spoken up many many years ago.   I know Bobby Hunt does excellent work for who ever wants one of his wings.  Presheeted wings, stabs and elevators put in a below par fuselage will not help anyone with their finish or score.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here