News:

• May 09, 2024, 10:35:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Consolidated list of TF Nobler ARF mods?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline Gary James

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Shredding streamers since 1971
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
Consolidated list of TF Nobler ARF mods?
« on: January 24, 2009, 01:37:11 PM »
I've got a middle-age TF Nobler ARF that I'm finally going to put together (plastic tank, wire "clips" between the bellcrank-leadouts).  I know that they need to have a bunch of parts changed out, but have not been able to find a consolidated list of required mods.  I've just written an email to Tom Morris to find out about his control package and I've heard that the white plastic hinges have to be replaced ( I just learned this after epoxying mine in... damn!)   What else to I need to do?  Anyone have a list of required mods?  It's better to replace it now than to have to rebuild it later.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:19:54 PM by Gary James »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Consolidated list of TF Nobler ARF mods?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 03:45:45 PM »
Not a consolidated list but if you go to page 3 and scroll most of the way down there is a thread on the ARF Nobler. Sorry you'll just have to read a little.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 03:52:40 PM »
Not a consolidated list but if you go to page 3 and scroll most of the way down there is a thread on the ARF Nobler. Sorry you'll just have to read a little.

Did that already, before I posted, thanks.  Also found the "take-apart" Nobler thread and photos.  That one has a LOT of good info.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 04:19:33 PM by Gary James »
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Alan Hahn

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 04:20:10 PM »
I've got a middle-age TF Nobler ARF that I'm finally going to put together (plastic tank, wire "clips" between the bellcrank-leadouts).  I know that they need to have a bunch of parts changed out, but have not been able to find a consolidated list of required mods.  I've just written an email to Tom Morris to find out about his control package and I've heard that the white plastic hinges have to be replaced ( I just learned this after epoxying mine in... damn!)   What else to I need to do?  Anyone have a list of required mods?  It's better to replace it now than to have to rebuild it later.

Thanks!
Gary James
AMA 68845

Well the original hinges are ok, but you do want to "declick" them. I took a sharp xacto blade and removed the flashing that was responsible. Sort of a pain, and I would recommend using duBro's in the first place. However once the flashing is removed the original hinges function just fine.

Offline Gary James

• Lieutenant
    • Mini-IMP Aircraft Co.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 08:35:42 PM »
Thanks Alan, that's good info.  I'll double check the hinges for smooth operation.
Gary James
Weatherford, TX
AMA 68845

Offline Neal Beekman

• AMA65006 (Neal B.)
  • Commander
  • Neal Beekman (AMA65006)
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:39:10 AM »
My changes to an ARF Nobler.
Neal Beekman

Offline Terry Bolin

• Captain
  • Havin' the time of our lives!
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:26:37 AM »
VERY NICE ! I like the yellow! As far as a "Real Nobler Cowl" , are we talking :Make a wood one or does someone else make a better FG Cowl?
T

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:03:54 PM »
I built my first using the basic modifications suggested in Flying Models and on SSW.  It flew OK, but nothing great.  I got a second from Tower as a scratch and dent salvage and stripped the covering, and made more changes.  It flies so much better then the first, there's no comparison.  What I did to the second is documented in these threads.

http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=372
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=8276
http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=10588

I ended up disposing of the ARF flaps, and in retrospect, I wish I'd tossed the kit control horns too.  The problem with the ARF Nobler is knowing where to stop correcting problems. 

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
VERY NICE ! I like the yellow! As far as a "Real Nobler Cowl" , are we talking :Make a wood one or does someone else make a better FG Cowl?

I agree, that looks great in yellow, and I am not a big fan of yellow as a base color. And it's a good color yellow, too, not to orange.

Windy used to sell a green box Nobler cowl, don't know if he still does. I would prefer a wood cowl because it's easier to make it look like an integral part of the airplane.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here