News:

• May 14, 2024, 02:04:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Changing Counter clockwise to Clockwise  (Read 1863 times)

Offline Leo Mehl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Changing Counter clockwise to Clockwise
« on: November 25, 2007, 12:01:17 PM »
Being a clockwise flyer I had to change the Nobler wing to fly it clockwise. I do not like to butcher wings or anything else on a model fot I believe it makes it weaker. However I bit the bullet and did just that. I cut thru the bottom near the trailing edge so I could get the pushrod to come out the otherside which is the way it has to be for clockwise flying. There was a large piece of plywood in the back end of the wing that holds that part of the wing together. I cut a hole in it so I could get the pushrod thru it, I then bent new pushrod so it would navigate the hole without rubbing. I had to take old pushrod off and put new one in which ment I had to lift the Belcrank in the air so old rod would come off and put new one in. Wa La I had a clockwise ARF. Big Deal. I have not flown this plane yet but will one of these days. It was a good experiment. I am Not sure I can do this with other ARFS or not. What I do know is if they would build these ARFs so we could put our own control systems in them they would be better.

Offline Ron King

• Commander
Re: Changing Counter clockwise to Clockwise
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:02:29 PM »
The Brodak ARF of the Strega has Tom Morris control in it. A huge step in the right direction for ARFs. #^

Amen to that.

The Strega is the first ARC/ARF I haven't had to worry about the bellcrank or leadouts. The Tom Morris stuff is what I prefer to use.

Thanks to those responsible for this decision (John and Windy?).

Ron
Ron King
AMA AVP District 4
Wannabe Stunt Pilot since 1963
 Amateurs practice until they get it right; Pros practice until they cannot get it wrong.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 10:43:21 AM »
At last I have flown my Nobler. I put a e-bay OS-FP 35 on it and ran it with a 11/4 Zinger prop at 10,000 rpm and it really flys great. I tried running the engine in a 2-4 beak but the tank kept surging on me so changed to differnt prop and now engine runs steady and it flies same speed during the whole flight. I like it and the plane did come out a little tail heavy so it needed balancing. I added extra wing weight but need to take some of it out. The control throws were about right for me. After doing the pattern a couple of times I decided it was a keeper. I think any 35 sized engine could fly this plane.  HB~> HB~>

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 05:26:52 PM »
Leo, you could have built it to fly counterclockwise and just fly with the handle upside down.  I've been doing that for 50 years until I recently accidentally built a clockwise airplane. So I am now flying both ways.  Still a little more comfortable counterclockwise.  It has been an interesting and challenging experience.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »
Leo, you could have built it to fly counterclockwise and just fly with the handle upside down.  I've been doing that for 50 years until I recently accidentally built a clockwise airplane. So I am now flying both ways.  Still a little more comfortable counterclockwise.  It has been an interesting and challenging experience.
Seeing you are now flying both ways what is your mindset when doing this. I have not had the guts to try this yet. I think i will let you do this. HB~> HB~> HB~>

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 07:36:51 AM »
I'm flying mostly OTS these days.  Flying counterclockwise I can concentrate on flying the maneuvers well more than thinking about where I am in the pattern.  Flying clockwise, I have to think more about where I am in the pattern and can concentrate less on flying the maneuvers well.  I've flown over 100 clockwise patterns and am improving, put my scores are still about 30 points down from flying the other way.  I'm much more relaxed flying counterclockwise.

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 10:07:11 PM »
I'm flying mostly OTS these days.  Flying counterclockwise I can concentrate on flying the maneuvers well more than thinking about where I am in the pattern.  Flying clockwise, I have to think more about where I am in the pattern and can concentrate less on flying the maneuvers well.  I've flown over 100 clockwise patterns and am improving, put my scores are still about 30 points down from flying the other way.  I'm much more relaxed flying counterclockwise.
WOW, would you mind changing minds with me. Mine is overused but will make you a good deal. LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:11 AM »
My pushrod came loose and almost lost this plane so soldered the pushrod after taking the covering off. Recovered it with yellow World text. I used to call it Wrinkles Now I call it Patches. Oh and I broke the tail off while recovering it. Give it a new shot at flying toay. It flys too good to throw away but who knows. Maybe I will get some more use out of it. I was thinking maybe a new fusaledge would be the thing to do. HB~> HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here