News:

• May 01, 2024, 11:13:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardinal Sins: Dennis-izing the ARF  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Cardinal Sins: Dennis-izing the ARF
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:27:22 PM »
Not being content with "having my way" with the recent Oriental ARF, I recently completed a Cardinal for Big Art.  Again, there are LOTS of Cardinals out there built pretty much right out of the box, and people are flying them well.  The folks at Brodak are doing a GREAT JOB with this and the rest of the ARF/ARC/Kit line-up.  But once again "I never ever do anything nice & easy...!"  Anyone who read along with the Oriental build notes will recognize that I did pretty much the same things to this Cardinal.

Big Art picked up this kit at Toledo, inspection showed all parts in great condition, aside from the usual ARF-wrinkles.  Inspection of the wing indicated a warp.  So it was wrestled back into position while shrinking the covering.  Everything else tightened up without much grief.

Biggest set of mods involved the control system.  The bellcrank is already reversed (up-line in front - whoo hoo Brodak!) and the remaining control system mods are:

* Added bearings to restrain the flap and elevator horns
* CA type hinges cut in half to reduce their stiffness
* Moneycote hinge gap seals added to flaps & elevator.
* Outer 5" of flaps cut-off and set-up as trim tabs with horns & quick links.
* Cut-into wing to move flap pushrod from innermost hole to middle output of bellcrank.  This then runs to the outermost hole in flap.
* Installed SECOND pushrod in outermost bellcrank hole, running to outermost hole on elevator horn.

My biggest knock on the two Brodak ARF's I have built is that the instructions are a little vague - I was not really sure WHAT the control ratios were SUPPOSED to be, so I made them what I thought they should be.  The resulting control system has a 2:3 ratio flap to elevator movement.  The cut-down flaps avoid the shed vortex at the wing tips to keep the control loads manageable.  (i.e, it ADDS corner)

Last, and probably most important mod was to the ARF had a rather sharp leading edge - this in my experience is a bad idea.  I removed a 3/4" wide strip of covering rounded it off, and recovered it with a chrome moneycote "de-icing boot"!

Again, not leaving well-enough alone, I routed out the fuselage to "pocket" the tank; about 1/2" deep to the inner doubler.  Then I added a 3/16" wedge to kick the outer corner of the tank out - to help generate a clean engine cut-off.

Since this bird will fly most of its flights off grass I substituted 2.5" Dave Brown foam wheels in place of the 1.75"(?) foam wheels that came with the kit.  Remarkably the larger wheels easily fit within the slick wheel-pants, once the hole in the bottoms were opened up a little.  I trial fitted 2.75" wheels and could have made them work if I had to.

Big Art intended to fly this with a Brodak 40, so he made up some custom aluminum mounting plates and affixed them in place of the universal mount clamping plates supplied with the kit.

Test flight was last Saturday, but that will wait for the next post...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: Cardinal Sins: Dennis-izing the ARF
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 03:41:37 PM »
Haven't heard of any others with this issue but I had to hollow the outboard wing tip of my Cardinal to get the tip weight down to a reasionable level. Even left the cover and screw off the weight box, just covered with a piece of tape.

Built it for a ST 46 test bed and used stock controls but did increase the elevator throw, pretty good flying airplane.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 04:16:19 PM »
Bob R:
I think mine has too much tip weight too - even though it has none added!  I am flying on .015 x 63' lines, are you flying the 46 on 018's? that might be enough to make a difference.  As for the rest of the Day 1 test flight experience:

In anticipation of a great test flight the Cardinal was fitted with a "veteran" Brodak 40 that has proved itself numerous occasions on another profile. So naturally the darned thing put up a big fight until it finally started.  Got airborne and the engine went rich.  Actually meandering between rich and REALLY rich.   Could not do much of anything, but did get it inverted and confirmed the tank was in about the right position (might have to raise it a little).  At the end of the tank the engine leaped to dead lean for about 10 laps before I shut it off in a loop.

Flight 2 starting was a-kin to flight 1.  When we finally got it going the engine went nearly dead lean as soon as it got airborne.  Managed to do a couple loops and lazy eights, basically confirming that the wing looked fairly level and suspected too much tip weight.  However at that flight speed trim problems are masked.  Engine did not sag-out but it was not running very well!  HB~>

Started checking this and that, messed around with the fuel line routing, discovered the in-line filter was installed backward, but no real smoking gun for the goofy engine runs.  ???

After battling it again on the 3rd start, I got mad & swapped plugs.  Started the 2nd flip - problem solved, right?  WRONG!  Big Art was still wrestling with it to get a needle setting, and it came off the ground a little fast but definitely better than flight 2 and flyable.  Indeed, was in the midst of doing a complete pattern when the engine burped out of fuel in the VERTICAL eight!  HB~>

Finally decided THAT was enough, that there MUST be something wrong, and since everything else was the same, the problem must be with the fuel tank - the only "new" part in the system.  Sho'nuff, discovered a MAJOR
leak along the top of the wedge at the back.  Dummy, (rather, dumb me!) should have leak-checked (and not just inspected) the tank BEFORE installing!  HB~>

MORAL OF THE STORY: The engine was TRYING to tell us something was wrong, but we just kept pushing it and forcing it to run.  Worse, because the engine was a PROVEN COMMODITY of countless successful flights on the preceding profile, we should have been even MORE suspect if it did not fire right up and run right.  BTW if you are keeping score Big Art & I total a combine 100+ years modeling experience.  Proves once again that experience is no match for STOOPID - this ain't rocket science folks!  :-[

Oh, BTW, the Cardinal really looks like a winner.  Got a great corner and the control efforts feel spot-on.  Think I might try moving the CG forward a twitch, but even as is it flattens out very well coming out of a corner - so it is not too far off.  Also might have to add INBOARD tip weight as there is none to remove from the other wing - NEVER had this happen before!

Tank is fixed, bird is ready to try again...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »
Was using .018-63's.. Adding weight to the inboard tip was the way I figured out how much I needed to take out of the outboard tip. Wasn't too keen on adding inboard weight, once I had it turning flat I set the outboard wing tip on a scale, removed the inboard weight and started cutting on the outboard tip till it weighed the same as it did with the inboard weight.

I simply drilled a couple large holes in the wing tip from the bottom side with a 3/4 inch hole saw and started carving/hollowing. At the time I didn't have any matching covering so just covered the hole with fascal. Have a photo someplace, if I find it I will post it.

The B-40 will add a little less outboard weight than a ST-46 and your 15's will need less tip weight than my 18's so my numbers won't be revelant but seems to me I removed almost 3/4 ounce.

Found the photo.. This was before the finishing touches..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 06:12:01 PM by Bob Reeves »

Offline Dick Fowler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 06:17:55 PM »
Haven't heard of any others with this issue but I had to hollow the outboard wing tip of my Cardinal to get the tip weight down to a reasionable level. Even left the cover and screw off the weight box, just covered with a piece of tape.

Built it for a ST 46 test bed and used stock controls but did increase the elevator throw, pretty good flying airplane.

Mine wasn't quite that bad, but I have no tip weight at all.
Dick Fowler AMA 144077
Kent, OH
Akron Circle Burners Inc. (Note!)
North Coast Control Liners Size 12 shoe  XXL Supporter

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 06:59:38 PM »
Didn't I read that the Brodak ARF's have a rusty hunk of Re-Bar installed in the outboard tip? Or was that the TF ARF's?  n~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 07:17:23 PM »
Steve:
Before I started the build I did a quick search here on StuntHanger and did not see (or managed to miss) anybody posting about excess tip weight.  While I was building this thing it seemed quite heavy on that side, but...  ???

First couple flights were difficult to pass too harsh a judgement on it due to the fuel tank woes - but it looked like it was hinging due to excess tip weight to me.  Bob's experence suggests that heavier lines would not make up the difference either.  Usually too much is a bother but not a barrier, but too little will make it challenging to fly!  My guess is the pre-weight would have probably been right except for the side-mounted profile engine.

No comment on the TF's... I get into enough trouble on my own!  n1  LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 07:57:08 PM »
Finally got a few detail shots to sahre.  Nothing too earthshaking here:

* First pix (file 002) Shows the last 5" of flap cut-off and turned into trim tabs.The Anchor end is a Goldberg(?) tip skid which anchors the kwiklink to the screw-on horn.  Purpose of the cut-off flaps is to reduce the control loads and improve the corner.  I thought it even more important on this bird because of the shape of the wing tips and wide flap chord.

* Second pix (file 005) shows exit of the second pushrod.  Flap rod was moved from innermost location on Bellcrank to middle hole, then run to the other hole on flap horn.  Second pushrod drives elevator only, it runs from the outermost hole on bellcrank to outermost hole on elevator.  Resulting set-up yields roughly 2:3 flap:elevator throw ratio.

* Third pix (file 006) shows the tank sunk into the fuselage, then kicked out 3/16" at rear corner.

Would you beleive, I do not even have an overall shot of the bird???
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
Hi Dennis, Glad to hear that your Cardinal is shaping up! I once had a terribly hard time getting my B-40 to perform with any degree of dependability. I thought that I had it right then I had to go and "fix" my tank location and thus needed another six weeks to unfix my fix! What finally did the trick for me was to measure the ID of the venturi orifice. Mine exceeded .300! I rumaged through my stash of brass tubing and found a piece of stock with an ID of .270. Bingo! All it took was a short piece of about 3/16" to neck the .300 down and that engine has been running sweet eversince!

The tank by the way is a double clunk Sullivan plastic job with the extra clunk going to the univent which is about 3/16" shorter than the fuel feed line.

Just for your information.

PS It was a great privilege to spend some time with your Dad at the Brodak event. I am glad he came by.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2007, 07:24:55 PM »
Phil:
glad to hear you got yours under control.  I think ours will work but have not been able to take it out again.  QUESTION: with the clunker do you center the tank on the engine or is it a tad above center?  When I cut the tank pocket on this one I made it large enough for  DuBro clunk, but only if it is centered on the engine...

I was glad we were able to take Dad to the Fly-in.  He had a great time and it really recharged his batteries!  Everyone was VERY supportive and helpful - a great trip!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2007, 09:09:51 PM »
QUESTION: with the clunker do you center the tank on the engine or is it a tad above center?  When I cut the tank pocket on this one I made it large enough for  DuBro clunk, but only if it is centered on the engine...

Hi Dennis,

The "trick" with the clink uniflow when you cannot move the tank is to twist the cap.  Raise the uniflow inlet above the fuel feed and it works like moving the tank up.  Vice versa........  this was told to me by Bob Hunt and it has always worked for me.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:47:16 PM »
Hi Dennis, My Sullivan tank is mounted between the two rails of the Nobler ARF. I really can't see how it lines up with the spray bar but I imagine that it sticks through the rails a bit so that the answer to your question would be that it is a tad up or toward the top of the plane since its an inverted mount!

Usually I fly profile planes and there the tanks are usually up about .25 to.375 in. On my ARF Smoothie the rails were actually machined away a bit to allow the tank to be about ..125 lower in order to get a uniform run upright as well as inverted.

Happy to hear that Big Art is adjusting to being alone. Not a pleasant prospect for any of us.

Phil Spillman 
Phil Spillman

Willis Swindell

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 10:17:38 AM »

Dennis
I have done the same modifications on two Cardinals I didn’t change the bell crank I used a taller 1 1/4 control horn to slow the controls and made the elevator move more then the flaps. But what I’m really proud of is this pin that your MOM gave to me years ago.
Willis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 07:50:40 AM »
I have the same pin that I had on my flying cap............. but I don't wear it anymore.  Why?  I am afraid I might lose it!  And I don't want that to happen. ;D
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »
I have one too. Thank you Claus Makis(sp?) Hey guys. Went flying with Dennis, Arch, and Large Art today. We flew the heck out of the Cardinal. The B40 is comming back in, Big and I tore it down to measure it because it ran so nice, so it needed to re-seat. The plane is very nice to fly and I had a great time. I also flew Dennis's Super Clown which has a screaming Enya 30 on it. What a ball. I also have to comment on his Oriental with LA40. This engine is almost impossible to dis. It is getting stronger every run and is just doscile. It's swinging a 11x6 Powerpoint and pulling the heck out of that little stunter. The only complaint I had was I got covered with bean oil. Smells good but it is sticky.....

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 07:56:48 PM »
Willis
I really like the blue & yellow colors on your Cardinal!  Looks like you cut down the flaps even more than I did - also like what you described with the ling horns - that is a big plus in my book.  Sounds like it all works?

Bill - OK I understand rotating the neck relocates the tubes - but does that work if the uniflow is a free-floating clunk?  I can see how it would work if the uniflow was stiff...

BTW, Dave & Arch both flew the Cardinal (and me too!) and we all agree it is a pretty good flying bird.  The Brodak 40 is a great match.  Now that the tank is fixed the engine was starting easy, & running rock steady.  Using 10% Omega fuel, a 4 oz Brodak uniflow tank, and a 11-6 PowerPoint prop.  If anything I was surprised at the fuel economy, will probably cut back to a 3.5 oz tank. Might try a tube muffler too for a little more noseweight.

Willis, Bill & Dave: Yes, I have a pin too, but I am afraid to even put it on a hat - afraid I'll lose it!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2007, 08:58:06 AM »
Hi Dennis,

The uniflow set up in my clunks are what Billy and Bob showed me.  the uniflow is actually attached to the feed line.  Similar to a metal tank set up.  It all swings together, just two pieces of 1/8" copper tube wrapped and soldered.  Only one "Clunk pickup" on the end.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »
Bill:
OK be patient, my "density" is showing!  ??? 

The clunk stoppers I see all have three holes:

* Do you initially build the tank so the fuel pick-up is on center of tank?  If so the uniflow line would end up being a ttle higher or lower at the stopper end, I PRESUME that would not matter(?)

* When you build the tank, you have the clunk & uniflow solidly together - and aligned horizontally?

* If you have to adjust you turn the stopper - raising or lowering to get the result you need?

* With the clunk and uniflow soldered together, does tha mean when you rotate the stopper does that roll the uniflow over (or under) the pick-up line?

Thanks in advance for being gentle with me!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2007, 12:42:31 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Using the three hole stopper, one is the overflow, one for uniflow, and one for feed.  The overflow tube bent in a "U" to the top, and about 1 1/4" tubes to go through the stopper for the other two. 

The "connection" of the tubes ends up looking like a "Y" (sorta) and those tubes are probably 3/4"-1" long, wrapped/soldered in the middle.  The feed line is the straight tube at the connector, and the uniflow is th bent one.  Both lines get a piece of Prather Pink from the stopper tubes to the connector, and the feed gets another piece of "PP" to the clunk.

I try to set the feed line pretty horizontal initially.  The uniflow line will rise above or move under the feed line (sorta).

Does this make sense?  I will try to take one apart tomorrow and photograph it if you like. (or just "make" another one! LOL!!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here