News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardinal ARF wing joint.  (Read 1335 times)

Offline andreas johansson

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • SWE-56998
Cardinal ARF wing joint.
« on: September 02, 2009, 04:07:06 PM »
Hi guys!

I have started the assembly of a Cardinal ARF. The manual states that thin CA glue should be used to join the main wing to the aircraft body. I'm a little tempted to follow the manual, but I'm a bit worried that the joint is going to be brittle and crack (of course in the worst possible situation). I know there are more people on this forum who flies the Cardinal ARF, how did you do the wing joint? Fuel and possible dissolving of CA is not a problem for me as my Cardinal will use electrons for power.

/Andreas
Nobler-O-Maniac
SWE 56998

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Cardinal ARF wing joint.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 04:27:09 PM »
    I like to use Titebond alaphetic resin,  white type glue, can be found at home improvement stores. And model shops, it gives enough working time to set the wing like you want it, and it bonds well..
     Hope that this helps...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
If your worried use epoxy.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline newell follett

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 06:17:23 AM »
Hi
Make sure you have wood to wood joints. I've built 4 using Weldbond ( white glue) no problems after many many flights

Enjoy
Newell

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 09:31:47 AM »
I have found that the CA is nice to tack the wing in place as the epoxy cures!

At least in the profile ARF's I've had, the wing to fuse fit is never perfect (it isn't perfect in the kits I've had either). So I stuff in some soft balsa to fill the gaps. Once done then the CA does a nice job holding the wing tight. Then I'll lay in a bead of 30-45 minute epoxy to seal it up. That's almost necessary for a glow powered model. Of course I know you won't have to worry about that  y1, but it still adds a nice supporting filet to this important joint. I do hit the joint with a little heat from my heat gun to flow the epoxy into a nice smooth line--this evens out the epoxy along the entire joint, and also lets it flow into any small remaining gaps between the wing and fuse.

FWIW, I like to leave the black magic marker line on the plastic covering--the one I use to mark where to remove the plastic film on the center section of the wing. When it gets covered by the transparent epoxy bead, it actually looks cool--like a black pin stripe. Also it makes the typical brownish color less objectionable in my opinion.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:59 AM »
I use CA to secure the wings on all my models. Of course, I make small shims to fill any gaps and work my way around the wing joint carefully to make sure that the wing doesnt get misaligned by the shims while I am doing this. I have had some rather substantial landings and lots of flights on them with no problems. I do typically mask a small band and paint a layer of epoxy over the joint to keep the nitro away from the CA since Nitro will soften CA. The joint however is made with CA.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here