News:

• May 13, 2024, 03:21:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cardinal ARF flap issue  (Read 2434 times)

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Cardinal ARF flap issue
« on: June 03, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
I picked up an ARF Cardinal, and as I began assembly something didn't seem right with the flap throw.... At full down the flaps are at about 45 degrees up. At center, the flaps are about 20 degrees up, and at full up the flaps are only about 5 degrees down. I'm thinking the pushrod is too short. I measured it at 5 3/4"  ???
Anyone else run into this problem?
Thanks
Tom

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
Re: Cardinal ARF flap issue
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 05:48:02 PM »
Forget the numbers and get the flaps level with the bellcrank on center. One to one requires that both pushrods are the same heigth from center of the horns. It really is that simple.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 07:13:31 PM »
ARF/ARC and even kit control systems are often not going to work right. Check Tom Strom's post about his ARC Impact, a pretty high dollar ARC. He replaced the entire control system with Tom Morris stuff and after getting the wing straight and replacing the tail surfaces and flaps, got it flying well. There is quite a bit of useful info on this site about the ARF/ARC Profile Cardinal...like fuselage problems, flaps needing to be narrowed 5/8" and minor stuff like that. You should be able to dig out a lot with use of the search function. Don't let this discourage you, because the Profile Cardinal can be an awesome flier. It's just not quite right, as it gets off the boat. Just dig out the info and fix it!  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 07:39:28 PM »
ARF/ARC and even kit control systems are often not going to work right. Check Tom Strom's post about his ARC Impact, a pretty high dollar ARC. He replaced the entire control system with Tom Morris stuff and after getting the wing straight and replacing the tail surfaces and flaps, got it flying well. There is quite a bit of useful info on this site about the ARF/ARC Profile Cardinal...like fuselage problems, flaps needing to be narrowed 5/8" and minor stuff like that. You should be able to dig out a lot with use of the search function. Don't let this discourage you, because the Profile Cardinal can be an awesome flier. It's just not quite right, as it gets off the boat. Just dig out the info and fix it!  H^^ Steve

Thanks, believe it or not, this is really the first issue I've run into with an ARF. I'm no expert, but I've put together about a dozen now, some are better than others... I'm just a little ticked I've got to dig into the wing. I'd rather be flying!

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:45:48 PM »
Tom
Why do you need to open the wing? n1 Just get the bellcrank in the center position and lengthen or shorten the pushrod. Solder on a extension if it is needed.
All the adjustment is done at the horns.
Ed

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 07:28:29 PM »
Tom
Why do you need to open the wing? n1 Just get the bellcrank in the center position and lengthen or shorten the pushrod. Solder on a extension if it is needed.
All the adjustment is done at the horns.
Ed

Ed, you might be on to something here..... LL~ I was too mad to see how easily it could be fixed.
Thank you sir.

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 07:03:42 AM »
Tom  I think we all have have had  that problem one time at least. Cut off the end of the pushrod and add a new wire or 4/40 threaded rod with ball link on the end and wire it to the old pushrod. When everthing is in neutral solder it. Slight adjustment can be made with the ball link threads. I used slightly less than One to One on my Cardinal. It was a good flying plane. A lot of them had lead out failure. I sold mine to Ty and the leadout did break. ~^ ~^ ~^
Ed

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:58:31 AM »
Since you are fine-tuning the control system you may want to try the Pat Johnston style bellcrank-flap-elevator  attachment modification. Simply: bellcrank to flap (inboard or outboard, makes no difference), horn attached to other flap, pushrod from that flap horn to elevator. It makes adjustment easy and gives more room to attach the push rod to the horn using ball links or whatever. I fitted it to a Brodak P-51 and found it was much more responsive in the turns, more like a full sized stunter rather than a sport type stunter. With the big flaps of the Cardinal I would think it would be very effective. The picture pretty much says it all. 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Tom Schwartz

• Ensign
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:32 PM »
Tom  I think we all have have had  that problem one time at least. Cut off the end of the pushrod and add a new wire or 4/40 threaded rod with ball link on the end and wire it to the old pushrod. When everthing is in neutral solder it. Slight adjustment can be made with the ball link threads. I used slightly less than One to One on my Cardinal. It was a good flying plane. A lot of them had lead out failure. I sold mine to Ty and the leadout did break. ~^ ~^ ~^
Ed

Update;
After considering the many options offered here, I decided to cut the 90 off the end of the pushrod. I then picked up a 4-40 die and threaded the end of the rod. A threaded snap link added the extra length I needed and since it's pin was smaller than the flap horn hole I bushed it with some brass tubing. All in all, I think it's going to work out ok.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 07:51:31 AM »
Hope it works for you.   I have had the same type connector on a couple of my planes.  Wound up later installing ball links.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Wood

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 03:41:04 PM »
Tom,

Just something to consider.  Threading that rod may not give you enough bite to secure the clevis.  The threads on the rod are probably only tall enough to hold the clevis with minimal surface area.  I would consider threading the clevis onto the rod with J. B. Weld mixed into the threads.  That should keep the clevis from coming loose during extended use.  Just a thought.

Paul

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here