News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: BUILD NOTES: Dennis-izing the Oriental ARF  (Read 7975 times)

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
BUILD NOTES: Dennis-izing the Oriental ARF
« on: May 29, 2007, 11:40:42 PM »

Dee Rice's timeless design has been producing happy stunt flyers for a lot of years - I have been clobbered by them a few
times too!  The Brodak team has done a great job with their kit and their ARF versions of the design.  My father has one almost RTF, and had another kit laying around.  For the heck of it, I "borrowed" it, took it home to see what it looked like.  One thing led to another and now I have it assembled!

I want to preface all of this by saying that I think Brodak has produced a WONDERFUL ARF kit as it is.  It should be nice and easy, right?  However, I NEVER EVER do ANYTHING nice and easy (is there a song lyric in there?).  I did some extra things to make this Oriental "mine".

First thing I did was to SEARCH the StuntHanger for commentary; afterall, may as well benefit from as much user experience as possible.  Among the tidbits posted here, I learned:
* Most Orientals seem to run roughly 38-42 oz light
* Looks like people are using a plethora of engines, from Magnum 28's to 46 LA's.
* Most seem to be prone to nose heaviness, requiring tail weight.
* Some folks have reduced the nose heaviness by pushing the engine back as far as possible on the mounts, but then have to replace the kit's fiberglass cowl with new shorter nose built of wood.
* Some folks reported concerns with the wing to fuselage joint.  The comments not limited to the Oriental ARF, and the
"failures" do not seem specific, so I would GUESS the problem is at the joint of the fuselage to wing at the leading edge,
since that is normally the worst spot on any stunt model.
* Several folks report improved performance by switching to 2:3 flap to elevator ratio instead of 1:1.
* Some folks have reinforced the landing gear mount.
* Some folks think the landing gear (moved forward on the ARF) is too far forward for concrete runways and have been
restoring its aft position.
* Some folks report replacing pushrod hardware, especially the tail rod.

Add to that a handful of "dennis" things to make this a pretty good (or at least entertaining) adventure!

STAY TUNED...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: BUILD NOTES: Dennis-izing the Oriental ARF
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 01:48:21 AM »
Looks good Dennis, you will tell us what engine you have won't you ? I know you said STAY TUNED. (PE**) (PE**) j1 j1 j1 o2oP AP^ AP^ AP^ DV^^ DV^^ ~~> HH%% CLP** CLP**
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:42:53 AM »
Hi Dennis,

Since you never do anything NICE and EASY, are you gonna name it "Proud Mary", or "Ike and Tina" ?? ?? ??

Now, how many flights you had lately?  Gonna be great to see you flying again.

(PE**) CLP** CLP** BW@ HH%% HH%% HIHI%%
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:38:19 PM »
Back again with ANOTHER episode!

WING SUB ASSEMBLY
I have the HIGHEST respect for all those who administer a contest: CD's Judges, Recorders, compilers, EVERTBODY deserves kudos for the effort they put in for the flyers.  However, I harbor FEAR of those ANIMALS that run pull test in the pits!  Normal, even NICE and certainly HARD WORKING people, but they become 800 lb gorillas when it comes to pull testing MY airplane!  :'(

All seriousness aside, I want the bellcrank mounting to be strong and durable but I also want a place to hang on to the airplane when I am trying to pull test.  As supplied the Oriental comes with a substantial 4" bellcrank with a large bolt - mounted to a single platform.  I think it is imperative that the bellcrank bolt be supported with mounts above and below the bellcrank to keep it stable.  Call this a throwback to building foam wings, but if you take the bellcrank mounts and put them OUTSIDE the wing, then you can also run them up against the fuselage sides.  This in turn gives a place to HOLD ON to the airplane when you are dealing with "old lead bottom" in the pull test pit.

The supplied bolt was too short to do all of this so a new 6-32 x 3" bolt was substituted.  Since the bellcrank was loose removed anyway, I went ahead and REVERSED the bellcrank so the pushrod arm is now pointing toward the inboard wing tip and the front line is now UP.  Been doing this since the attending the "church of Reverend Al" (Rabe) back in the early 1970's.  Old habits die hard.  While I was at it I also moved the bolt over far enough to get the flap m& elevator pushrods a little closer to the center of the wing - for a more direct shot to the flaps.

While contemplating the 3:2 Elevator to flap ratios, I first went through the normal excercise mixing and matching outputs.  The inexcapable conclusion is that when using the traditional daisy chain of bellcrank to flap horn to elevator horn, the elevator has to get sped up .  Time for Plan B: I have always been fond of slower controls, so I sought to not speed-up the elevator, but slow down the flaps.  The solution I choose was to use a SECOND pushrod from the bellcrank.  The rod from the outer output of the bellcrank goes to the outermost hole on the elevator horn.  The flap rod goes from the SECOND hole in the bellcrank to the outermost hole in the flap horn.  Result: when the elevator moves 30 degrees the flaps move "only" 22 degrees - that's close enough to 3:2 for me!  Added benefit the bearing loads especially at the flap horn and bellcrank outputs is roughly halfed.  BTW I used a short piece of 1/4" dowell rod for the elevator rod, and OF COURSE the flap horns were bushed with brass tubing.

Flap Horn and Elevator Horn Bearings
This was a shortcoming of the kit - no bearings.  I made some out of Plastruc tube; drilled to fit over the horn wire, sanded flat on one side, then slit with a #11 Xacto.  The slit side is glued back together with plastic cement (optional) and the bearing epoxied to the wing (or stab as appropriate) then a swatch of cloth wrapped over the bearing to hold it tight and reinforce it.

Hinges
Struggled with this.  I WANTED to use the CA hinges because I have found them to be very durable as well as very easy to install.  Pinned hinges would move freer.  Settled on keeping the CA hinges, but cut them in 1/2 width strips so they would not be so stiff.  One reason I thought I could get away with this is because I used:

Hinge Seals
I used clear Monocote top and bottom to seal the hingelines.  I consider this to be as important a step as using moving control surfaces in the first place.  Some folks don't believe in sealed hingelines - they are wrong.

Note to Leester: tomorrow the ENGINE choice is revealed (whoo hoo!!!)  :-X

Note to Bill: the answer is in the single digits... so far!  <=
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 07:32:12 PM »
Sheesz after only two installments I LOST my respondents!   Z@@ZZZ  HEY, I know you are out there I can hear you breathin!

FUSELAGE
Engine Mounting: Almost used a Fox 35, almost used a Enya 35, or Enya SuperSport 30.  However the engine I felt had the most to offer with the least mystery was the LA-40.  My only experience with these was in RC, where I found them absolutely friendly.  I figured my only task here was to make it run for 6 mionutes on 4 oz of 10% Omega fuel.  Was surprised that I had to sand away quite a bit of the inside of the engine mounts make the LA fit, then sanded a little more to allow a little right thrust.  I thought about pushing the engine all the way back but was concerned that cooling would suffer with the engine so close to the firewall.  After mesuring the cowl, and the Dubro Spinner which hangs BACK from the thrust washer, I determind that the engine should be 3 5/16" from the thrust washer to the firewall (see pix file 008)  Drilled and installed the blind nuts.  Later I substituted 3mm x 25mm Allen Head bolts for the Phillips head supplied with the kit.

One idea I like from the other StuntHanger postings was from someone who build a wood nose for his, then eliminated any removable cowl.  I decided to use the fiberglass cowl but to open it up enough so the engine and fuel filter could be serviced without removing the cowl.  Then I glued the cowl on permanently using GOOP type adhesive, and did not use the cowl screws.  (see pix file 022 & 023 pix) Tank Mounting:  Used a Brodak 4 oz. "all tubes forward" uniflow tank.  After drilling the holes for the tank tubes I coated the tank compartment and hatch with finishing epoxy.  I fit the tank with a strapping tape "handle" (pix file 029) in case I ever need to pull it out, then glued it in using a blob of Silicone seal under it, plus sealed it to the firewall.  If you look close in (pix file 031) you can see posicle stick spacers to incline the tank toward the outside of the circle, for a smoother cut-off.  Also note the two bulkheads captured between the tank and the hatch to lock the tank in position.  Finally the hatch was siliconed into place and its set screws installed...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:38:45 PM »
I don't have the Brodak kit or Arf, but have a MAN plans Oriental on the bench (for more years now than I would like to admit). Anyway in the MAN build-article, Dee Rice is adament about putting the landing gear wire on the back side of the former that butts up against the wing leading edge. The comment is that this gives the nice take-off and landing characteristics of the design, and that moving it forward (even to the front of the former) will give less than desirable results.
Now the Brodak version is a little different than the MAN plans, but from listening to people, Dee's comments seem to also apply to the Brodak version.
Just a point to think about.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 08:08:17 PM »
Theres several good tips I'll have to use on mine, like the cowl and the tank "handle" Thanks Dennis.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 08:16:11 PM »
FWIW, my ARC Oriental that I just finished and trimmed before the Regionals last weekend, I ended up moving the landing gear to the aft of the ply shelf that it mounts on. I rotated it 180 degrees so the single hole was in front, that sets it to angle back, then I placed a shim under the front to get the wheels to actually be almost under the leading edge. There isnt any structure in the wing saddle block to mount the gear to and man before I did this stuff this thing would NOT land, bounce bounce bounce,, If I got 5 points per touch down I woulda scored 55 every landing, lol. The other thing I did was to take the rudder block, that fairs the fuse into the base of the rudder. I prebalanced the plane, and decided it needed an ounce in the tail. I hollowed the block out and epoxied one ounce of lead in that fairing block. I am using an FP 40 with a wood prop. I have had to add NO additional ballast and it flies great now. I think the LA 40 is pretty similar in weight so that might be a consideration. I like the way it worked out because the lead is secure and hidden.
not meaning to hijack YOUR build thread, just wanted to throw my experience in there
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 08:21:46 PM »
Mark: no worries, you are not hijacking the thread.  In the first posting I mentioned that I searched StuntHanger for notes before I started, the landing gear position was one of the items listed, your EXPERIENCE on the subject help validate its importance.  H^^ BTW, read below how I mimiced what you did.

Gonna cruise in to some Final assembly notes tonight.  Remember I noted that postings to StuntHanger cited a concerns on this (and other ARF's) in the wing to fuselage joint, which I in turn assigned to the leading edge joint.  To help reinforce this I added some triangle stock (see pix file 014) along the leading edge joint to the fuselage bulkhead.  I used 30 monute epoxy throgh the swing saddle but then use urethane glue, the foaming stuff at the leading edge and where my new external bellcrank bolt supports came in.  This should help nest the leading edge to the tri-stock and thus the bulkhead.

Did one more thing to help this joint.  I added a plywood mount to the back of that bulkhead so that I could straddle the lower belly pan joint with the landing gear - while at the same time moving the landing gear aft (pix file 041) as recommended in the other threads, and as Mark S recommended in his posting to this thread.  Nice to make one change impact two improvements!  Becuase I am flying off grass I also substitued 2.5" foam wheels for the supplied 2" wheels.

BTW, one other way to deal with the too-forward landing gear is to keep the tailwheel wire long. If you can 3-point or get the tailwheel to touch FIRST the bird will not bounce. 

Before gluing down the stab I installed the engine prop spinner & muffler and check the balance.  Then I added about 3 ounces of lead along the rudder post, along the taii wheel platform, and in the lower rudder to achieve a CG at 2.25" aft of the leading edge.  A lighter engine located closer to the firewall would have yielded a big weight savings here!

You may have heard of Tom Dixon's legendary build where he typed the words "Cockpit Detail" on a slip of paper and stuck it down on fusleage under his canopy.  Well, TD only had a typewriter to work with, we live in HI TECH times now!  Thanks to MicroSquash and color inkject printing witness my MODERN elaboration (pix 034) on Tom's earlier triumph!  Come-on, this is an ARF, you think I'm gonna knock myself out over this part of the build???  BTW, the canopy outline was clean away using a soldering iron to burn & seal the covering.  Canopy was then installed with GOOP.

Finally, one more pix (#035) of the Oriental ready for test flight.  RTF the final weight is 46 oz.  With the heavy engine and the ballast plus the other structural addtions I made no doubt this could have been loighter.  Howver the weight is still quit reasonable for the airframe, and the engine offers an excess of power to get the job done.

Next installment I'll summarize the flight trimming - so far!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 08:24:59 PM »
pix 041 showing landing gear did not upload correctly (my fault) here's another try...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 09:29:21 PM »
I am anxious to hear how your flights go, I asked and was told the cg was 1-7/8 back from the leading edge. This is where mine is now. I like the way it flies, but if yours proves really good I may try it back a bit farther. Appreciate the tip on the tall tail wheel landings. Hopefully I wont need it, but,, its in the catalog for "one of those times"
I dont know if I mentioned it but I made a new control horn for the rear. I drilled a hole between the first and second hole locations to give a touch more elevators. seems to work pretty good for now. I used the dubro 4 oz plumbed clunk uniflow. FP 40 and a wood prop that is about 11.25 x 4. Its one Pat Johnston let me try,, rocks,, good stuff there.
when are you going to fly it?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2007, 06:01:11 AM »

Have taken the Oriental out twice.  So far it has been doing just fine, albeit not wthout the usual gamut of things to dial it in, and it has been responsive to our inputs.

I was worried about fuel economy and letting the engine run comfortably, as well as trying to get a semblence of reflexes back!  I wanted to run 10% nitro Omega fuel, engine, and fly on 63' lines.  Engine was set up choked down to a .265" venturi, with a stock OS needle assembly.

Test flight was with an 11x4 Power Point Engine sounded great, running a 4-2 cackel in level flight,  Problem was lap times of 6.7 seconds!  That's a bit optimistic, but was able to get the bird inverted and confirm tank height is spot on.

Flight 2 switched to a 10x6, and did not change needle.  Lap time dropped to 5.1!  Did nearly a complete pattern, surfacing some line tension issues but not bad overall.

Tweaked flaps for flight 3 & slow engine back to 5.5 sec laps: better.

Flight 4 tried moving leadouts aft about 3/16, better.  Am getting a full accelerated pattern each light.  Biggest problem so far is run duration - engine cut-off is around 5:15 to 5:25, but engine is running like a watch.

Flight 5 changes., switched to a 11x6 power Point, again without having to reset the needle. Run time now in the 5:45- 5:55 range.  Wo who's worried about a 7 minute pattern?

Flight 6 Added 1/4 oz tip wight - seems better (but say tuned).

Overall the engine is working great, the airplane is working well and the Pilot - he's just working!  Round manuvers are looking pretty good, squares are fighting.  The balance feels right but the control loads high.  Really want to shorten the full span flaps.

Session 2, 1 week later: flaps shortened 4" (see pix) a big success - control load now feels right, no longer fighting to get the full 90 degree corner, but a new glitch popped up.  The airplane seems to be out-turning the wing and stalling.  Bottoms of inside squares, triangles, inside half of Square 8 and 4h corner of hourglass.  Suspect the slightly sharp leading edge is the culprit, going to have to peel back the leading edge covering and knock that edge down.  Good news is the round manuvers, and elevations all looking good. Bad news are bottoms and quares.  Last flight made a special effort to concentrate on bottoms and it looked a LOT better!

Two fresh sets of eyes are looking at it and say the tip weight is too much.  Remove the 1/4 oz that was added last week and they approved, I cannot tell any difference.  Some additional flap tweaking is overdone, and restored to where it was.

In all the slowed 3:2 control ratio, slightly aft CG, sealed hinge gaps and shortned flaps are all working, just gotta get rid of the stall! Plan is to cut-back the covering, exposing the leading edge so it can be blunted a little... Hope to try next week!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2007, 08:56:45 AM »
UH-OH!  Dennis is flying patterns, and trimming planes............ ;D

That's good to hear! y1
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2007, 10:13:16 AM »
UH-OH!  Dennis is flying patterns, and trimming planes............ ;D

That's good to hear! y1

Bill:
At this stage its better to HEAR about than to SEE!

Seriously, have had a couple good weekends, and making progress.  The round manuvers all look pretty good, but anything with an inside square pull-out is bad because of the stalling problem - hopefully fixed.  Gotta get the bottoms next.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:35:16 AM »
it's truly like riding a bike, Buddy!  It's pretty shaky at first when you start back out, but old muscle memories are like any other "memory", they finally come back clear! (with a *little* coaxing!) LOL!!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 11:31:11 AM »
Bill:
Interesting that you should mention muscle memory.  Among the things I am re-learning is that flying CL calls on muscles that are not normally used for anything!  Even flying a Ringmaster with maybe a 5 lb line pull, I got a sore arm, The Oriental doesn't pull a lot harder, but the muscles have not been used enough and tire easily, my arm is sore today. :P

HOWEVER, I blunted the leading edges.  This would have been a LOT easier to do if I had done it before assembly!  First step was to clean the airplane, three times with window cleaner, each time with a clean towel.  After washing my hands I then cleaned the leading edges with Acetone to further degrease.  Used the pencil point soldering iron to cut/seal the covering roughly 1/4" either side of center and remove it, exposing the wood.  Then I put down some masking tape about 3/16" behind the remaining edge of the covering.  Proceeded to sand out the wood and even the edge of the plastic covering.  Coated the balsa and edge of covering with Balsarite Film Formula, and removed the masking tape.

Next was I cut 3/4" wide of chrome moneycoteand ironed it down.  The "new"leading dege does not look especially blunt, but it is quite a bit rounder and CONTINUOUS than it was.  Unfortunately it will have to wait until NEXT WEEKEND to fly.  ~>

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2007, 11:40:15 AM »
Dennis, in this neck of the woods, that's called "killing two bids with one stone'!

You blunted the LE and cured the chances of the original covering coming up from the LE. (which everyone says it does!)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2007, 10:53:24 PM »
If your arm hurts after flying, instead of letting the model pull your arm out straight, pull the handle in toward your chest. Take the load on your bicep muscles. Letting your tendons take the load is asking for pain and agony.  I learned this a few years ago, flying .60 and .51 powered models.  H^^ Steve

"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 05:05:57 PM »
Steve: am doing that and THAT is where my arm HURTS!    b1

but it:
Hurts so good, come on baby make it hurt so GOOD
Some times the stunts don't look like they should
But its still, hurts so GOOD!

eat your heart out Mellencamp!   VD~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 10:35:50 PM »
Grooooaaaaannnnnn :-X

lol
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2007, 08:33:51 AM »
Dennis really enjoyed this post on an ARF build.  If I knew what I was doing I would have probably done that to my ARF Oriental.  But, it gets me thru the pattern with little effort.  I think now that both of us would have done better doing the kit build or scratch.  By the way did you get David's address?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2007, 07:25:51 PM »
Steve: am doing that and THAT is where my arm HURTS!    b1

but it:
Hurts so good, come on baby make it hurt so GOOD
Some times the stunts don't look like they should
But its still, hurts so GOOD!

eat your heart out Mellencamp!   VD~

Ah! You're out of shape! Get thyself into the gym...I did. Been at it for a 1 1/2 years now, and have made a lot of improvement. Don't wait too long. I'll be 62 the day after Father's Day. Part of my usual workout is 100 leg presses at 305 lbs and 50 more at 365. I can move around the circle a lot better now. If only the fliers would tell me where they'll do their next trick!  HB~> Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Steve:
You are RIGHT!  Remember the old Saturday Nite Live routine, I need Hanz & Franz to "Paump me up!"  ~^

When I was flying way back when I used to go through a stretching routine before the first flight of the day.  Nothing too special, but it includied some arm swings and such.  I figured that was worth about the same as the first flight each session that I used to "waste" getting stretched out...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2007, 08:57:59 PM »
Finally got to fly the Oriental with its blunted leading edge today.  No drama, it worked great.  The stalling tendencies vanished and I was able to confidently corner without any concerns.  #^

Last trimming item: switched from the toungue muffler to a expansion chamber (tube type) muffler, mainly to see if I could gt more run time.  This of course also moved the CG forward some - and really brought the bird home.  Now I can ATTACK square corners rather than finessing, and got bottoms that were not there before.  Not much to pick apart anymore.  Pilot needs to get better, but he cannot use the airplane for an excuse any more.  n1

Throughout the trimming process it seemed the Oriental kept showing positive incremental improvments, responding to every tweak as expected.  It was not a bad airplane to start with, but now it is a very happy airplane!   #^

Also test flew the "dennis-ized" Cardinal ARF today, it looks real good too, but that is the story for another thread...  :-X
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline rob biddle

• Commander
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 10:46:04 PM »
  Hi Dennis,

Did you notice any significant improvement in run quality by switching to the tube type muffler?

I found that my modified La .46 runs much nicer using the tube type muffler than the tongue muffler.

In .35 size planes I like to run it in a fast 4 stroke, barely "cackling" in level flight. With the tube type muffler the break is really sweet but it seems quite harsh with the tongue muffler.

Running "home brew" 10% nitro, 50/50% castor synthetic. 22% total oil content. Happiest props seem to be Apc 11x6 or Zinger 11x6. Less pitch just doesn't give enough airspeed at sub 10,000 revs.

Cheers, Rob.
P.s sorry to poach your thread, but I'm keen to experiment more with the La series engines.
Robert Biddle

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2007, 07:06:52 AM »
Rob:
From the start the LA40 has run near perfect.  Engine was brand new when we started, now has about 16 flights on it, but it has been very easy to set and holds the setting.  Factoids: .265 venturi, stock OS needle, 10% Omega fuel, 4 oz Brodak 2" wide all tubes forward tank.  11x6 Power Point prop.  Flying on 63' lines (roughly 66' handle to center of airplane) lap times in the 5.4-5.7 sec range.  No RPM checks but middle to fast 4 cycle with a soft 4-2 break.

Sounds like lots of folks are having good luck with the APC props.  I have commited to wood props for myh hands sake!  Besides, the Top Flites are light (less inertia) and seem to pull hard.

Run quality did not change appreciably from tongue to tube muffler, but quality of sound is much smoother, probably quieter (but not measured)

Have NO issues with how the LA40 runs, have not run the LA46 but understand it handles the same or better!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 07:56:38 AM »
Dennis,

Many thanks for the great pics and information on the Oriental ARF!

When do we get to see the mods on the "Dennis-ized" Cardinal ARF?!???

Also test flew the "dennis-ized" Cardinal ARF today, it looks real good too, but that is the story for another thread...  :-X

Thanks again!

Wes
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 10:18:10 AM by Bill Little »
Wes Eakin

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 10:18:30 PM »
Wes:
stay tuned...!  (I need to get the bird back from Big Art and take some pix)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Steve Agrella

• Lieutenant
    • Steve Agrella Photography
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2015, 03:30:04 PM »
I would just like to say thanks to everyone that posted in this thread, all of the mods I have incorporated or should I say I am incorporating.
Thanks to you guys when I get done I'll have a model that works, I have learned so much from this thread, I'm just getting back into control line at 61... Lol, just retired thought I might revisit my youth.

Thanks again.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here