News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:09:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak SV-11 ARF  (Read 1627 times)

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Brodak SV-11 ARF
« on: November 05, 2023, 05:55:07 AM »
My inventory of competitive planes was getting low due to some recent unfortunate events, so I decided to put together a Brodak ARF SV-11 to have something to fly. The quality of this kit was surprisingly good and it only took me about 3 weeks to complete.  I did make a few minor modifications, including a new ball link control system, DuBro hinges, an adjustable trim tab, an access hatch on the bottom of the fuse to make it easier to work with the electronics, glass cloth reinforcement at the wing joint and some epoxy around the landing gear plate.  I'm using an Igor Burger system with a Cobra 3515 and an APC 12 X 6 F2B pusher.  I am so pleased how this plane flies, I started putting together another one I recently obtained.  This plane is N-30 legal, so now I have a Saturday contest flier!

Don
« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 05:45:16 AM by Don Jenkins »

Offline Dave Rigotti

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
  • "Electric...The future of anytime stunt"
Re: Brodak SV-11 ARF
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2023, 06:32:00 AM »
The ARF is/was available in this color scheme?
Dave Rigotti
AMA 66859
Chesterland, Ohio

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2023, 05:23:13 AM »
Yes, red, blue and green.

Don

Offline Dietmar Morbitzer

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2023, 06:18:41 AM »
Nice plane,
what battery do you use
and how much does the plane weight?
Dietmar

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2023, 06:26:45 AM »
I use a HobbyStar 3000mAh 5S (10.5 ounces), the plane weight with battery is 65.5 ounces.  I have about 25% of battery life remaining after a 6 minute flight.

Don

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2023, 05:44:02 AM »
It took me 9 days to put together my second SV-11 ARF, with the same modifications as the first one.  I had some sort of virus (basically the worst cold of my life) and I quarantined myself to the shop between taking meds and naps.  I'm taking it to the field today to see if it flies as good as the first one.

Don

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2023, 01:30:01 PM »
Hey Don!  Nice job!  I guess it is an awesome airframe as there seem to be quite a few folks flying them.  Maybe ... one day, I'll stick my "feet in the water" too!!  A few months ago, one of my flying buddies introduced his e-powered SV-11 to Mother Earth when the wing literally separated in flight.  Sadly, I'm one of those people who just can't leave trash in the can so I salvaged what I could.  After a few weeks of piddling around on the workbench, I was able to surprise him with his "Phoenix" SV-11.  When I presented it to him, you should have seen the smile on his face ... priceless  ;D.  He's still flying the "dog water" out of it with the biggest grin covering his face!! ;D

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2023, 05:55:21 AM »
Nice repair job Jim!  That was probably more work than just putting together a kit!  When I started putting my first SV-11 together I have a friend that advised me to make a few modifications, one of which was adding some balsa to the wing cradle so it doubled the surface area of the wing joint, as well as reinforcing the wing joint with glass cloth and 30 minute epoxy.  I guess that was warranted based on your friends demise!  By the way, my blue SV-11 also flies great!

Don

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2023, 05:23:23 PM »
Nice repair job Jim!  That was probably more work than just putting together a kit!  When I started putting my first SV-11 together I have a friend that advised me to make a few modifications, one of which was adding some balsa to the wing cradle so it doubled the surface area of the wing joint, as well as reinforcing the wing joint with glass cloth and 30 minute epoxy.  I guess that was warranted based on your friends demise!  By the way, my blue SV-11 also flies great!

Don
Thanks Don!  Sounds like you received some sound advice.  Actually, when I scrounged the parts, I had every intention of keeping it for my own but I soon realized how much George missed the plane, so I was well into the repair and mods before I decided to return to him.  I had made modifications that allowed me to bolt on the wing so that it could be removed for storage and or transportation.  That was a total but pleasant surprise to him.

Jim

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2024, 05:19:10 AM »
Hello guys. Which equipment do you use in order to place wing and stabilizer correctly (horizontally, and with 0 incidence) on SV-11? Regarding the glass cloth - you put it on top of the wing joint surface, right? Wont it affect whilst gluing wing to fuselage?

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2024, 07:05:35 AM »
Hello guys. Which equipment do you use in order to place wing and stabilizer correctly (horizontally, and with 0 incidence) on SV-11? Regarding the glass cloth - you put it on top of the wing joint surface, right? Wont it affect whilst gluing wing to fuselage?
Glass cloth on the center section of the wing around the entire joint (top and bottom) had no effect on the alignment.  I used masking tape on the wing so that the glass cloth and epoxy was on the inside of the glue joint.  Once the epoxy dries I sand the edge of the masking tape to remove it.  I use a level on the nose of the plane (on the SV-11, this area is parallel with the thrust line) to ensure it is in fact level and in a stable position so it won't move, and I use incidence meters (old mechanical ones made by Great Planes, they also make laser meters but I have not used them) on the wing and tail.  I tack glue things in place with CA before final gluing.  I hope this adequately answers you question.

Don

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2024, 08:26:50 AM »
Glass cloth on the center section of the wing around the entire joint (top and bottom) had no effect on the alignment.  I used masking tape on the wing so that the glass cloth and epoxy was on the inside of the glue joint.  Once the epoxy dries I sand the edge of the masking tape to remove it.  I use a level on the nose of the plane (on the SV-11, this area is parallel with the thrust line) to ensure it is in fact level and in a stable position so it won't move, and I use incidence meters (old mechanical ones made by Great Planes, they also make laser meters but I have not used them) on the wing and tail.  I tack glue things in place with CA before final gluing.  I hope this adequately answers you question.

Don
Thanks Don. Do you use some special stand to fix the fuselage? Besides that I understood that having level to set fuselage horizontally correct + incidence meter will be enough for assembling.

Offline Don Jenkins

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2024, 07:28:55 AM »
Thanks Don. Do you use some special stand to fix the fuselage? Besides that I understood that having level to set fuselage horizontally correct + incidence meter will be enough for assembling.

I set the plane on the landing gear with the tail on a small box and shim it with some balsa until its level. I did not have the flaps installed at this point. You can do it with the flaps installed, but it becomes more difficult to get the incidence meter in place and a slight movement of the flaps causes a deflection in incidence.  Once I get the wing glued in place I do the stabilizer the same way.  I also found that both of the ARF SV-11's I put together did not need much adjusting other than a bit of sanding to get the stabilizer level.  As a side note, I usually glue the flaps and elevators on as the final step in the build, because I normally scratch build and paint. This way the hinges don't get gummed up with paint.

Don

Offline Alex Grudev

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2024, 09:11:08 AM »
I set the plane on the landing gear with the tail on a small box and shim it with some balsa until its level. I did not have the flaps installed at this point. You can do it with the flaps installed, but it becomes more difficult to get the incidence meter in place and a slight movement of the flaps causes a deflection in incidence.  Once I get the wing glued in place I do the stabilizer the same way.  I also found that both of the ARF SV-11's I put together did not need much adjusting other than a bit of sanding to get the stabilizer level.  As a side note, I usually glue the flaps and elevators on as the final step in the build, because I normally scratch build and paint. This way the hinges don't get gummed up with paint.

Don
Thank you very much Don for the detailed answer, will try this method. Now its a high time to order an incidence meter :)

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here