Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Brodak SV-11 ARF

<< < (2/3) > >>

Don Jenkins:
It took me 9 days to put together my second SV-11 ARF, with the same modifications as the first one.  I had some sort of virus (basically the worst cold of my life) and I quarantined myself to the shop between taking meds and naps.  I'm taking it to the field today to see if it flies as good as the first one.

Don

Jim Carter:
Hey Don!  Nice job!  I guess it is an awesome airframe as there seem to be quite a few folks flying them.  Maybe ... one day, I'll stick my "feet in the water" too!!  A few months ago, one of my flying buddies introduced his e-powered SV-11 to Mother Earth when the wing literally separated in flight.  Sadly, I'm one of those people who just can't leave trash in the can so I salvaged what I could.  After a few weeks of piddling around on the workbench, I was able to surprise him with his "Phoenix" SV-11.  When I presented it to him, you should have seen the smile on his face ... priceless  ;D.  He's still flying the "dog water" out of it with the biggest grin covering his face!! ;D

Don Jenkins:
Nice repair job Jim!  That was probably more work than just putting together a kit!  When I started putting my first SV-11 together I have a friend that advised me to make a few modifications, one of which was adding some balsa to the wing cradle so it doubled the surface area of the wing joint, as well as reinforcing the wing joint with glass cloth and 30 minute epoxy.  I guess that was warranted based on your friends demise!  By the way, my blue SV-11 also flies great!

Don

Jim Carter:

--- Quote from: Don Jenkins on November 19, 2023, 05:55:21 AM ---Nice repair job Jim!  That was probably more work than just putting together a kit!  When I started putting my first SV-11 together I have a friend that advised me to make a few modifications, one of which was adding some balsa to the wing cradle so it doubled the surface area of the wing joint, as well as reinforcing the wing joint with glass cloth and 30 minute epoxy.  I guess that was warranted based on your friends demise!  By the way, my blue SV-11 also flies great!

Don

--- End quote ---
Thanks Don!  Sounds like you received some sound advice.  Actually, when I scrounged the parts, I had every intention of keeping it for my own but I soon realized how much George missed the plane, so I was well into the repair and mods before I decided to return to him.  I had made modifications that allowed me to bolt on the wing so that it could be removed for storage and or transportation.  That was a total but pleasant surprise to him.

Jim

Alex Grudev:
Hello guys. Which equipment do you use in order to place wing and stabilizer correctly (horizontally, and with 0 incidence) on SV-11? Regarding the glass cloth - you put it on top of the wing joint surface, right? Wont it affect whilst gluing wing to fuselage?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version