Building Tips and technical articles. > ARF'S

Brodak SV-11 ARF

<< < (3/3)

Don Jenkins:

--- Quote from: Alex Grudev on April 22, 2024, 05:19:10 AM ---Hello guys. Which equipment do you use in order to place wing and stabilizer correctly (horizontally, and with 0 incidence) on SV-11? Regarding the glass cloth - you put it on top of the wing joint surface, right? Wont it affect whilst gluing wing to fuselage?

--- End quote ---
Glass cloth on the center section of the wing around the entire joint (top and bottom) had no effect on the alignment.  I used masking tape on the wing so that the glass cloth and epoxy was on the inside of the glue joint.  Once the epoxy dries I sand the edge of the masking tape to remove it.  I use a level on the nose of the plane (on the SV-11, this area is parallel with the thrust line) to ensure it is in fact level and in a stable position so it won't move, and I use incidence meters (old mechanical ones made by Great Planes, they also make laser meters but I have not used them) on the wing and tail.  I tack glue things in place with CA before final gluing.  I hope this adequately answers you question.

Don

Alex Grudev:

--- Quote from: Don Jenkins on April 22, 2024, 07:05:35 AM ---Glass cloth on the center section of the wing around the entire joint (top and bottom) had no effect on the alignment.  I used masking tape on the wing so that the glass cloth and epoxy was on the inside of the glue joint.  Once the epoxy dries I sand the edge of the masking tape to remove it.  I use a level on the nose of the plane (on the SV-11, this area is parallel with the thrust line) to ensure it is in fact level and in a stable position so it won't move, and I use incidence meters (old mechanical ones made by Great Planes, they also make laser meters but I have not used them) on the wing and tail.  I tack glue things in place with CA before final gluing.  I hope this adequately answers you question.

Don

--- End quote ---
Thanks Don. Do you use some special stand to fix the fuselage? Besides that I understood that having level to set fuselage horizontally correct + incidence meter will be enough for assembling.

Don Jenkins:

--- Quote from: Alex Grudev on April 22, 2024, 08:26:50 AM ---Thanks Don. Do you use some special stand to fix the fuselage? Besides that I understood that having level to set fuselage horizontally correct + incidence meter will be enough for assembling.

--- End quote ---

I set the plane on the landing gear with the tail on a small box and shim it with some balsa until its level. I did not have the flaps installed at this point. You can do it with the flaps installed, but it becomes more difficult to get the incidence meter in place and a slight movement of the flaps causes a deflection in incidence.  Once I get the wing glued in place I do the stabilizer the same way.  I also found that both of the ARF SV-11's I put together did not need much adjusting other than a bit of sanding to get the stabilizer level.  As a side note, I usually glue the flaps and elevators on as the final step in the build, because I normally scratch build and paint. This way the hinges don't get gummed up with paint.

Don

Alex Grudev:

--- Quote from: Don Jenkins on April 23, 2024, 07:28:55 AM ---I set the plane on the landing gear with the tail on a small box and shim it with some balsa until its level. I did not have the flaps installed at this point. You can do it with the flaps installed, but it becomes more difficult to get the incidence meter in place and a slight movement of the flaps causes a deflection in incidence.  Once I get the wing glued in place I do the stabilizer the same way.  I also found that both of the ARF SV-11's I put together did not need much adjusting other than a bit of sanding to get the stabilizer level.  As a side note, I usually glue the flaps and elevators on as the final step in the build, because I normally scratch build and paint. This way the hinges don't get gummed up with paint.

Don

--- End quote ---
Thank you very much Don for the detailed answer, will try this method. Now its a high time to order an incidence meter :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version