News:

• May 10, 2024, 07:21:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak Smoothie ARF ??  (Read 2752 times)

Offline dankar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Brodak Smoothie ARF ??
« on: March 10, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
OK whats verdict on this besides covering issues. Bellcrank? quality of hardware ?? thank you,Dan   H^^

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: Brodak Smoothie ARF ??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2012, 01:27:11 PM »
Hi Dan,

I have heard much about the Smoothie as to mods.  I would check the control system and see if it is reliable.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
Hey Dan, it is a good flier. Similar to the Oriental, flies good w/ OS . 35.e  Do the  usual ARF mods, re-enforce the firewall w/ tri stock,, check controls carefully. I usually just put good bell ranks and carbon tube / ball link pushrods. Some Brodak's ARFs I've seen have questionable wood in mount beams for engine. Aluminum pads are a good idea.
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Online peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 04:45:48 AM »
Hi Dan
I put about 100 flights or so on an early model with no issues until I flew it in the rain.....the the covering shed.
The stock landing gear mount is a Lille sketchy for lumpy grass fields.....
The early ones required a 1 3/4" tank......I don't know about later models.....
I didn't modify the controls or lead outs.....
I added a 4 square inch area tab to the outboard flap.....
Have fun!

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 08:07:18 PM »
Dan
I have first ARF Smoothie hanging up waiting to recover elevator and stab where the original film lifted when castor oil from my Fox 35 seeped in after two season. It is a super flier. Fox is a hemi/ stuffer setup with the ceramic piston/ liner setup, and ST tyle NV - running uniflow with Powermaster 29% Castor oil, and Sonictronic GloDevil RC plug with idle bar. Turns a 10-5 APC prop. Perfect 2-4 break . Muffler is tube style from Scott Dinger.
Have a second Smoothie ARC in progress- will use same powerplant setup-   I,m applying my own Iron on
(Ultrakote) . Both versions have had leadouts changed from what was supplied, Also using real Dubro hinges , and Tom Dixon style pushrod from flap to elevator ( Music wire with carbon fiber tube ). Added bushings on the flap and elevator horns. Also modified fwd bulkhead to allow room for longer tank ( see writeup from Garden State Circle Burners), and reinforced the gear mounting ply wood plate with extra internal gussets and some fiberglass.
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 11:12:32 AM »
Thanks for info.  I did modifiy bulkhead for 4 1/2oz. tank. Bushings/ rod/ l/g will be modified and good hinges. I have a nice ST C .35 Stunt and think I will use that. covering seems to have issues and will seal up all joints etc. Resin motor area real good.

Offline jim ivey

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 01:58:17 PM »
I have a balsa smoothie looking for a veco 32 for it and a 3" veco bellcrank got a rank and wheels both veco. I know its not a great engine. but if it was good enough for bob it will work for me. jim

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:52:00 AM »
Found a retimed OS .32F I forgot about. Ran it once and seemed fine.  Pretty sure I got it from Bill Little years ago. Some things just take time.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 01:32:57 PM »
Hi Dan,

Pretty sure you are right on the OS .32F.  I know I had a third one at one time. ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
I have a fine running retimed FP-.40 that should work well. Modified bulkhead for 4 1/2oz. Brodak uniflow tank and should be good to go. Sure wished they used better covering. Tucson heat is a real bear, sorry for the pun coach.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 10:43:31 AM »
I have been flying brodak arfs now for about 7 years without much problems. I have rigged them with carbon fiber pushrods and ball joints and every iteration back to using all stock. Never have had an issue.... til this year.  I had a leadout let go on a P-40 wing. It slid thru the crimp. Their larger planes use a wrapped type termination on the leadouts but the .40 and under size planes use crimps. There have been mentions of failures but I have not seen that many first hand ones so I just normally check them and then pull test. It it tests ok I figure I am fine. This particular wing had had a year of flying on it in a custom airframe. It was resized to a .60 size plane and powered electric. The plane had a good number of flights on it and had passed contest pull tests. This spring on takeoff the up line (fortunately) pulled thru on takeoff. It simply nosed over and stopped. It just pulled thru the crimp. This wing was an arc so I was able to inspect it initially and everything looked proper and fine.

Long and the short has been two mods now for all my planes. All planes with crimpted leadouts get replacement leadouts. The second was incorporated by my entire cl flying group. Each plane gets a pull test before flight every day. Not a big thing. But could be.  y1

bob branch

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 11:17:23 AM »
I also had a L/O let go on a P-40 on it's 6th flight. I didn't replace the system as I wanted it up and running quickly. It was the down line but fortunately it happened just at take off and the damage was minimal. But what is interesting is that I ordered a replacement model and it came with a new set of L/O lines to be installed so John Brodak has had enough feedback to try and head off more of these situations

Dennis

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here