News:

• May 06, 2024, 01:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak P40 ARF  (Read 2357 times)

Offline John Rakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ensign
Brodak P40 ARF
« on: July 18, 2007, 06:01:00 PM »
My newst ARF/ARC. Flew it a few hours this past weekend. Everything worked well, except for that common
problem of getting the wings level. It was flying tip down while upright and tip up inverted. I tweeked the flaps and got that pretty level, so I will cut the out board trailnig edge and make a tab. If I am thinking straight, the tab will angle down to raise the tip upright. Everything is pretty much stock except for a carbon pushrod with ball links from flaps to elevators. I have not had anything fail in the past left stock other than the motor mount system, but this is holding so far.
It has a LA 46 with 11x5 prop and 4.5 oz uniflow profile tank. I have 1/2 oz. in the tail but will hit the nose pretty
hard on landings if I need to float it around to my stooge for easy hook-up. Anyone know how far back the balancing point should be? Thanks and here is a pic
John Rakes

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
Re: Brodak P40 ARF
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 06:47:39 PM »
FWIW, I think this is one of the greatest ARC/ARFs since sliced bread,,, IMHO ;D
I balanced mine 2 3/4 inchs back from the leading edge at the root next to the fuse. I have had two, still have one,  HB~>, I use 3/4 oz tip weight, 63 foot .018 lines eyelet to eyelet, mine has an LA 46 but I use an apc 11.5 x 4 prop. I also added dihedral which is how you fix the wing low problem. FWIW the mod is easy and has been done on a completed model. I also bend the landing gear back so the wheels are under the leading edge, a bit more prop clearance that way and it lands better for me. I like this model so much that I built my Gee Bee model Y around the wing and moments . It also flew awesome!
Just one other note, Pat Johnston turned me on to this idea, I put a one inch  wide peice of monokote over the leading edge of the wing and stab, ironed it on, I used a red stripe on mine, Pat a  yellow one. This holds the monokote on the wing better so it doesnt want to come loose as easy. Looks kinda cool too.
Have fun with this its a great plane.
 a couple picts, one is my GB based on the ARC wing and the other is my ARC P-40 that I converted into a Q model (bubble canopy) bot fly great, well did fly great, the Q ate it after a dandelion got freindly with my lines, the Gee Bee got done in by me on outside squares, but its almost repaired. My ARF also got hurt on outside squares but is repaired and still flying, but it aint so purty so I wont take picts!
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 01:34:53 PM »
hi i really like your gee bee. id like to see how you did your wheels  H^^ y1any more pics?

roger

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 01:36:27 PM »
tHANKS FOR THE COMMENTS,
I am at work, tonight or this weekend, I will take a couple snaps of the wheel setup.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 06:14:24 PM »
 H^^ thanks

roger #^

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 10:51:44 PM »
Roger,
I finally got around to finding some picts for you, I zoomed in on the one you saw, you can see the attachment sort of for the gear, the other pict is of the naked gear wire. I fabricated some attachments next to the rear spar for the aft wire to fit in. the gear is 3/32 wire on the mains and 1/16 on the aft rigging wires. seems pretty strong, I wrapped it with fine copper wire and soldered. Then I soldered small tabs of brass stock to the gear legs, drilled and tapped them for cap screws. Three per spat. The "pants are just 1/16 ply shaped and covered with monokote/ultracote trim. fairly light and plenty strong. The fuse was another story, it turned out to be not strong enough for that inverted slap it got coming out of the outside squares. ( um ok so you cant build them strong enough to withstand that abuse) It is almost repaired now.
If that shows what youw anted to see great, if not let me know and I will break out the digital and get some more for you

Incidentlly, I have my CAD plans of this one if you happen to be interested. I even did parts template patterns. They arent completely refined yet but certainly buildable
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline roger

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »
id like to see how you did the bottom, and how you did the the pants and stuff and attached them on the l/g also did it fly and land

roger ??? %^@

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 09:29:06 PM »
Roger,
wow aI am sorry it took this long to get somemore picts for you. Got her all repaired and have flown her several times since repairs. I attached some close ups of the gear, unfortunatly I dont have picts fo the interior of the wing. Basically what I did was build some light structure that bridged the ribs (parallel to the trailing edge) that supports a peice of 1/16 ply with a hole in it for the rear strut to go into. I put some small peices of 1.16 ply next to the strut leg to have something to keep it frommoving. then I hold it in place with a #4 screw and a #6 washer, not real elegant but it works fine. the spats are held onto the gear by 4x40 machine screws that go through some peices of 1/4 inch brass stock that I soldered to tghe gear legs then drilled and tapped. I have had NO problems with landings, I really think that the most important part of getting gear right is the position more than having "spring" in the gear. However that being said, this gear does flex some towards the tips, not front and back. First contest appearance for her is this weekend, I will let ya know how I fair, unless I chicken out and fly my P-40! ~^
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 09:16:19 AM »
Hi  Mark....
Are you and Pat going to be in McMinnville.
Pete,Mike Haverly and I will be there.We are doing some practicing this morning.Hope to see you guys.....
Rod Claus
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:57:29 AM »
Rod,
Yes Pat , I and last I heard Randy Powell will be there. The only other from this side of the world, is Joe Just, Myself I plan on being there around noon or one on friday.
Look forward to seeing you guys there.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Rod Claus

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 07:54:53 PM »
Sounds great.....
We will make a pass at the field when we drive by.Should be around 2pm-ish on friday.
Rod
Rod Claus
Kent,Wash.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 08:25:54 PM »
I just talked to Dave G. Looks like Dave & Angela will be there. Nils Norling says he's all packed up and ready to go, so he must be serious...or not. LL~ Looks like I'll be missing this one. The Visa bill came from my trip to BC and AB...$2k...ewwww.

Rod...did you mean Pete P. or Pete F.? Have fun, anyway. I'll be sad all weekend, especially if I get out and work on the darned fence... Z@@ZZZ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here