News:

• May 09, 2024, 09:16:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak P-40 profile  (Read 2557 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak P-40 profile
« on: October 11, 2008, 08:51:34 PM »
I have just had the enjoyment of a few days assembling and flying the current version of the Brodak P=40 arf.  The kit was the 10th cl arf I have assembled on top of 6 years of RC arf's. The quality was as good as it gets. I could not have built one myself to this quality level and I am pretty fair with film covering. Arf's we have learned in RC are not fixed. They are a moving target. Feedback from fliers to the company provides input to the companies in the far east that build them. And they improve from one shipment to another. This one was excellent.

I powered it with a new EVO .36 CL. which has been brought to us by work from our own stunt family. It is a very small and powerful unit that is as user freindly as any motor I have ever handled. Built the plane in a day. Broke the engine in this morning and flew it this afternoon. And this motor has some serious guts.

First flights were as  recommended with 11X5 Zinger Pro, 5% nitro, 5%castor/15% synthetic Rich's Brew fuel, 63 ft lines and the small venturi. Launch was at 9100 rpm per the manual and the lap time was 5.25 sec per lap... also per the EVO manual! The plane flew trimmed so well on the first flight that I put in a full pattern. Second flight all I changed was a handle adjustment to adjust the altitude of level flight. Third flight I closed the down line spacing as it turned a bit faster outside than inside. Line tension was good everywhere in the pattern. It was like I had spent a summer trimming the thing, it was that good. The motor was very impressive. A lot of power. This motor can certainly be used in anything an LA .46 would be used in and probably a good bit more. Obviously, the motor will come in more as I fly it.

The combination is fabulous. CG came right in with the tube muffler and a 2 1/4 inch dubro plastic spinner. Its all a good combination for sport fliers, intermediate, and advanced fliers wanting a P-40 or arf class plane and of course it is available as a kit as well.

bob branch

Alan Hahn

Re: Brodak P-40 profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 10:24:27 PM »
One comment, and this one may be out of date, but check the covering at the wing leading edge. At least on the first year version of the ARF P40, the top and bottom covering layers didn't overlap at all. Just in case this is still so, a strip of clear monocote will fix the problem. It can get exciting if fuel gets into the small crack and the covering begins to pull off during flight.

I am guessing that this problem has been fixed in more recent versions.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 07:48:35 AM »
Alan

Your point is well taken and covering overlaps have been major problems with cl arf's. The overlaps on this plane are 1/2 inch throughout!. Yea, its excessive, but they are not going to open up either. I always go over the seams with a trim iron before I shrink that covering on an arf. These were not only all down and tight, but the overlaps made them safe from being overheated and pulling away. While in some places you can see the ridge from the edge of the overlap .... which is not seen in the really nice RC arf's, I think most CL fliers would prefer the security of what this detail that brodak has wrought.

bob branch

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:48 AM »
For those with this ARF, remeMBER this plane was designed for dihedral, see other threads. The other trick that Pat showed me, I sto cut a strip of monokote (or other) about one inch wide, and lay it along the leading edge to seal the covering in this critical area. If you use red or yellow, it looks like a squadron recognition marking, pretty cool affect actually
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2008, 09:03:23 AM »
Maybe it me or something as the ones I have seen,  about three of them by different individuals, flew pretty good without the dehidral.  Will get mine together one of these years.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 09:24:27 AM »
My experience has been that I can't imagine dihedral making it any better flier. If you want it for the look and did it right I imagine it would fly well, can't say as to as well as what I am seeing. But I'll be the last to say don't bash something to what you'd like. Only thing I changed on this was to a ball link at the elevator horn and a one piece pushrod with carbon fiber sleeve to the elevator. When you do that though you run into the inboard edge of the flap with the pushrod. Apparently the stock version is set up to flex the pushrod a little with the pushrod guide. Without the guide and a straight pushrod I had to cut off 1/8 inch of the inboard end of the inboard flap to clear. NBD. Oh, the ball link and pushrod were set up emerging from the inboard side of the horns so no way to avoid the cut by mounting them differently.

Regarding any additional covering, I can't see anywhere any was needed. It was all solidly built, well covered and overlapped seams. The center covering of course gets removed for the glue joint to the fuse.

bob branch

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 10:47:54 AM »
FWIW the dihedral does make a difference in getting it to fly wings level. You can tweak flaps, use tip weight many other things , but they are all speed dependent. The ONLY thing the dihedral does is to align the leadout guide at the wingtip with the vertical cg. this eliminates the tendancy for the plane in stock form to fly outboard tip down when upright, and the critical problem, outboard tip UP when inverted which reduces line tension. It is a simple modification and does enhance the trim characteristics of the plane. I will however agree that it is a great flying plane! I like it so much I have kit bashed the wing into a Gee Bee profile that has been posted here before.
The dihedral does make a difference,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 07:54:57 AM »
I've seen dihedral ukies blown around by cross winds, seemingly more so, than flat winged planes. The P40s flown by the Philly Flyers fly great stock.  There have been quite a few of them, often contest winners. They were adjusted to fly level by gluing the fixed outer flap tab down. Dihedral does produce a dynamic effect. Its orientation to wind direction, during stunt maneuvers, shifts as the model moves along the vertical plane. Of course flat winged planes are also effected. But IMHO dihedral exaggerates the issue. Nothing scientific here, just my observation. This was a major problem with a Corsair prototype flown at the last Brodak meet. It's gull wing hit the wind pretty hard. The wing rock and roll frequently evident. Needless to say it complicated doing stunts. In a similar way, I think dihedral increases the rolling motion as the plane maneuvers in a vertical relationship to a prevailing breeze.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here