News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:59:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak P-40 (now a Q model)  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Brodak P-40 (now a Q model)
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:09:38 AM »
Ok so instead of continuing to hijack the other thread, I will post updates here. These are the results of tonights paint work. still more to do but I dare say this one wont get stepped on in the pits,, hehe,
just as a way of refresher, Brodak ARC P-40, reconfigured to resemble the Q model. I added dihedral to the wings to correct for known vertical CG issues as a result of the flat wing.
Used experimental covering technique which isnt quite as promising as early tests indicated but its functional.
Still more to do paint wise and clear. It doesnt show well but the Grey is actually a custom pearl that has a fade from leading edge to trailing edge of the wings.It kinda looks metal right now. I started off thinking along the lines of a Reno Racer, but kind of lost sight of that as the design progressed... It should "kick " once cleared.
anyhow, whatcha think?
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Brodak P-40 (now a Q model)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 03:20:35 AM »
Mark: It will definnatley stand out in the crowd, looks good so far.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:05:23 PM »
Well got some more work in on the paint tonight so I thought I would go ahead and post em,, I am pretty pleased so far, not everyones cup of Joe, but I like em bold and vivid,, I think this one goes there.
tonight I got the top of the wing done and the top color on the fuse. as well as the drop shadows. tomorrow is bowling night so no paint then, thursday will finish the color on the fuse and the numbers then on to clear.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 11:45:27 PM by Mark Scarborough »
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 01:50:32 PM »
Mark,

Man that's purty!  Color choice should make it stand out on those cloudy days. It's very cool.

I expecially like the airbrush shading. It that shot before or after the trim color?

What kind of mask did you use for the numbers? Cut your own?

What color is the canopy going to be?
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:05:43 PM »
Thanks for the comments Randy,
sequence of painting, first was the green, applied hand cut frisket masks for where green was to stay
next sprayed the purlpe pearl, applied hand cut frisket masks for where poiple was to stay
sprayed silver pearl base, then did fade from leading edge back with the same silver but added black candy toner to get darker color
while still masked up I sprayed the drop shadows with the masking still in place, the one exception being the section where the green overlays the purple between the green sections, that was sprayed after the purple mask was removed.
The "71" on the tail was a hand cut frisket mask as well drop shadows applied  before removing mask. The purple upper fuse was masked seperately after the silver because of some flaws I discovered and to allow what I am doing with the numbers to work,,
Canopy at least where I am now, is intended to be a black base with violet pearl over black then silver blue pearl over that, gives a really deep look to the canopy, IF I PULL IT OFF,
more to come probably finish color thursday and clear friday or saturday
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:14:13 PM »
Man, I have to quit coming up with paint schemes that require individual masks. Being able to shoot, mask, shoot, mask and then pull it all off is so much easier. I tend to back-mask colors to keep the weight down. Not so much a concern when using urethane colors as they just don't weigh as much as lacquer. On the Green Weeny, I had to tape and mask then pull tape, Tape and mask, then pull tape ad nausium. Way too labor intensive. I think the next plane will have a paint scheme that lends itself to mutiple masks.

The canopy should be very cool. I look forward to see it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 09:30:21 PM »
Great color choices Mark. And a really good scheme. You're doing art work here.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2007, 07:26:11 AM »
Hi Mark,

I didn't realize that I hadn't posted to this thread!

AWESOME WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That WILL pop the eyes on the flight line. ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 08:48:04 PM »
thanks for the positive feedback guys, I TRULY appreciate it. I finished the color work last night and cleared it today, I am fairly happy aside from the issues with Micafilm. Thought I would post some prepolish pictures if your interested?  Probably be anothe rmonth before I get nice enough weather to really do much flying. At this time I think I am still in the 45 to 47 oz range all up ready to fly, wont know for sure till I get it out of the booth and weigh it tomorrow.For what its worth, the primer was two part catalyzed PPG K-38, the Colors are DBC bench mixed base coat, and the clear is 2021 Urethane clear which I over reduce and shoot through a Sata Minijet. Normally this clear is mixed 4-1-1, I mix it 4-1-2 It is much easier to handle and lay down when its thinner.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 09:05:04 PM »
Now that's just *plane* unfair!!!!!!  You got a *professional paint booth*!!!!!!

Try getting it to look like that on a screened in porch!  **) **) **) **)

(I'm definitely not worthy............ ;D )

Actually, it is beyond awesome!  Fantabulouslytastic!

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 09:42:07 PM »
Thanks Bill, just for the record, I shot all the color out in the shop, the booth was busy making money doncha know, only shot the clear in the hole,,,,
Personally sometimes its nice to shoot in lesser conditions, then you can use that as an excuse when you screw it up,, when you have all the cool toys all your good excuses go away!,,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 12:25:34 AM »
It is awesome, Mark. Remember folks, this guy is just an intermediate flier. He gets a few more planes under his belt and the biggest problems he's going to have are wiping the drool off the finish and carting around all those Concours awards.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 02:52:30 PM »
You know, Randy,  I can remember a time when if a guy flying Intermediate showed up around here with something even remotely that nice, some people would have been upset.  They couldn't figure out that building and finishing didn't always equate to how much Stunt flying someone had actually done!  I always gave rave comments to the builders, no matter how they were flying,......... yet.  I say yet, because those guys usually became good real quick! y1

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2007, 09:43:13 PM »
Bill, I actually had someone tell me at my first beginner contest last august, that my twister was to pretty for a beginner, However I promptly fixed that by scraping off the canopy on my first competition flight inverted in the outside loops,, sigh, the cool part was the nice white skid mark it left for a quarter of the circle on that black asphalt!, it did live to make the rest of my flights, some epoxy to seal the bare wood and a couple patchs on the wing she was ready to rock again, placed third incidently. Hope I dont have to comply with this one that way too!!! sheesh,, you are right though, painting and flying are really different skills to be sure! But my flying is coming ok I suppose, dont crash as much  8) 8) (um wait, thats cause its winter and I havent been flying since November,, drats,, so much for that theory) Ah well, my war warn Tutor too is waiting to be the springs sacrificial lamb before this or my 109 take their first flights.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 10:27:23 PM »
Hi Mark,

It has been my observation that a guy who comes out with outstanding equipment, is the guy who is committed to what he's doing.  That guy will always move up quickly. 

I was astonded when my oldest son (about 16 at the time of his first contest) told me that at least he wasn't going to be beat because of his equiptment. Hmmmm.......... It wasn't long before he was kicking my butt! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 11:21:56 PM »
That is certainly encouraging Bill, I know I feel better setting my stuff down on the flightline,It gives me confidence to a degree so To me its worth it to put in some extra time, besides, I almost enjoy painting them more than flying them, well ok so its a tie! I still have tons to learn about building well but by crackie,,,, I am learning tons of what NOT to do if you want them featherweight, Looks like I will be in the upper 40 range, 46 to 48  or more depending on what I need for balance,, I have to give a nod to Randy P, and Pat Johnston for being there to answer all my questions and generally just give me a clue!(oh wait, um they arent the ones giving me a clue about building heavy though,, lol  I did that all on my own, sigh)
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2007, 04:21:54 PM »
Mark,

I was looking over some old pictures the other day. I started flying seriously about 1984 with Pat in Idaho. Since then, I've built, by my best guess, about 50 (count 'em, 50) stunt planes. Some, most, full boogie competition planes but probably 5 or 6 that were profiles, experiments or whatever that were proof of concept planes that never saw a competition circle. Trust me, I've built plenty of Toads. A couple recently. My modified USA-1 was the last lead sled and currently graces the ceiling of my shop. I may take another try at that one with a longer nose and a different wing...

Point is, you learn by doing.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Richard Grogan

• AMA Member 85745 Stunt Hangar
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 07:46:15 PM »
WOW Mark!! You've really got it going on with that paintgun and airbrush; that is some AWESOME  FINE ART!!
Long Live the CL Crowd!

AMA 85745

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2007, 08:45:28 PM »
That plane is awesome.   You ought to score real well with it.  Not to start anything, but, I think the better finished planes will score better in the flying portion also.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2007, 03:06:34 PM »
Doc,

I think that's true much of the time. A cool looking plane somehow looks better in the pattern, even when the pilot is screwing up.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2007, 05:07:51 PM »
Dogonne it, I thought this was my secret weapon,, pretty plane, lousy pilot=good scores?  :'(you mean somebody else thought of this before me, crud!!! well I guess now I just am gonna have to learn how to fly better,,,,,, HB~>
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2007, 08:28:23 PM »
  Mark,
 I sent you an email

Offline Paul Taylor

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • If God is your Co-pilot - swap seats!
    • Our Local CL Web Page
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2007, 07:07:45 AM »
Mark,
That P40 looks great. I will take it!!!

Hey you said you added dihedral to the wing. Not even real sure I know what that is. But how can I tell by looking at the pictures?

Also I sure like your paint booth. Wish I had one in my back yard. y1

Looks great!!
Paul
AMA 842917

Tight Lines = Fun Times

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2007, 09:21:09 AM »
Thansks for the compliments,!
Dihedral is easiest to see looking at the plane from head on. the tips are both up from the centerline. the short explenation is that it gets the leadouts in the right place so the plane flies straight out from the lines. There is a really long post on the P-40 in here as well that goes through the hows and whys.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2007, 07:11:59 PM »
Too bad about Mark's Martian "Q" ship. It sure flew nice.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2007, 09:38:40 PM »
For the latest update,
I took the Martian butterfly Q ship out to Portland this weekend past. She ended up a bit portly as Randy tactfully put it. Friday night, I had Pat Johnston, (the designer) there for support and Randy as well. I can be honest now I guess  ::) She weighed in at an actual 56 or 57 oz. Yeah I know its a tank, keep in mind there was 3.5 oz of nose weight to balance. I mounted up an experienced LA46 and started with a 12x5 REv up W prop. after a close lookover by the support crew and a test run on the motor, I put it in the air. Just as Pat said, it was WAY WAY sensitive. flew out the tank no real drama, did a few loops and high and level flight. was to touchy to get to brave, besides the rate my knees were knockin I didnt trust myself ya know?solid on the lines even overhead. second flight went to an 11.5 x 4 APC and picked up the rpms to launch at about 10,000, narrowed the handle spacing a bunch. flew part of the pattern. She was rock st4eady, I did a few wingovers right at Pat and Randy, during the debrief they allowed as how it was perfect out on the lines, straight off them,no tipping up or down. third flight, narrowed the handel a bit more and did my best at the pattern. Man this plane was rock steady solid, I cant believe how well that wing carries the weight and it was looking good in the air. Pat sat center circle with me and we talked about what it was doing, Hard to beleive even for me, but after three flights I was more comfortable with this plane than my Twisted sister that I had 150 ish flights on. packed her in for the night and went to eat. next morning the weather had changed so I went to put in a needle flight, Randy launched for me,, flying on grass,, (can you see where this is going?) immediatly upon release it turned in on me but I could tell it would fly out so I stood my ground, after a quarter of a lap it was back on the lines and looking fine, slight climb, so I input a touch of down right? yepp, it responded sluggishly but did respond, but then I tried to pull up and it would NOT respond, she went in at full power and about a 25 degree angle, took the nose clean off and the post mortem indicates major structural damage throughout the entire fuselage, She will hang on the wall for now until I decide the best approach to repair. Most likely will use the wing and build the rest up new. Sad, but effective lesson learned, I never knew before this that I should hold my handle up above my head to clear the lines before releasing! I have flown most of my flights since I returned to this hobby last year over grass and only one time did I ever have a problem before but nothing like this. The concensus of those present was that when it turned in on me, the slack lines snagged slightly and the line couplers hooked together or interfered with each other which lead to the demise. What really bites is that I could already tell this plane was far and away beetter than anything I have ever flown. dont even ask how the rest of my weekend went,, lol, I did compete with my weather worn, ok crash worn, Fancerized twister but I wasnt trusting it as I had some unsettling burps at the top of manuevers, eventually I did put it in on my last flight of the competition. just a glancing blow but it was the way of the weekend. I do want to say that all the people there were awesome and supportive it was still a great weekend over all and hey the wings survived intact so it still looks really nice on the wall. Linda , my GF is a touch upset, she didnt get to see it fly though. Final thoughts, I have in my possesion another Brodak ARF P-40 that was donated to me Thanks Scott R and Pat!, it will get the Dihedral and should be flying this weekend. If you are interested I can take pictures to show the steps to add the dihedral. I also have another one behind that on the way. I probably wont paint any more planes for a while until I break through this "phase" that started last fall in Salem,,
Let me knw if you are interested in the in process picts for the dihedral.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2007, 03:13:41 AM »
Mark: Sorry to hear about the Q. I would be very interested on seeing the dihedral installation.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2007, 08:25:18 AM »
For sure---please post the pix of the dihedral details. #^

And many thanks.
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2007, 03:59:53 PM »
One comment. The Q ship really flew very well right off the board. Dead straight on the lines and after a couple or trimming flights, as Mark noted, it looked to be a good one. I hope Mark decides to just replace the fuselage and take it back out. It was a sweet little plane. Besides, he needs the reps.   H^^
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2007, 05:03:53 PM »
Randy, to clarify, thats reps on FLYING, not on crashing, I have enough reps there,,,,,
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2007, 04:16:51 PM »
I don't know, Mark. I can remember many, many, many crashes. I mean, hey, we are flying planes 4 feet off the pavement at 60 MPH, inverted. Sooner or later a splat happens. As we get better, hopefully it happens less, but even hot shot, top of the heap Experts can splat an airplane. Not often, but it happens.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here