News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:34:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: T-Rex Saito Build  (Read 3520 times)

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
T-Rex Saito Build
« on: October 09, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
This is going to be a T-Rex build thread with a Saito 62 mounted on it's side. Slow going as I'm working on the FJ at the same time, will update this thread as I go.

First had to determin where the holes in the firewall needed to be far a side mounted Saito. Located the top mount at a line drawn just where the curve ends and at right side of the bulkhead. See first photo. Later determined I should have moved it about 1/8 inch inside the right side of the bulkhead. I was saved in this case due to the slotted mounting holes in the engine mounts. I was able to move the mounts far enough toward the inside to have the prop more or less centered in the nose cutout. After the first mount was installed, it was easy to locate the second using the engine as a guide. 2nd photo.

Then came the fun part, marking and relieving the already glued in bulkhead so the blind nuts would inset and I could glue the second bulkhead flush. I removed the blind nuts and drilled through the engine bullhead into the fixed one using a long drill bit. This marked the location of the holes. The way I cut the reliefs for the blind nuts was with a right angle adaptor on my Dremel and a 1/4 inch bur. I just ground away till the blind nuts cleared and I was able to insert the 2nd bulkhead flush with the fixed one.

Once I had the bulkheads figured out next was how to install the engine. Thinking if I removed the bottom engine mount I could wiggle the engine down through the bottom and through a side cutout. This would minimize the size of cutout and the bottom engine mount can be installed after the engine is in. It worked out great except I ended up with the side cutout larger than I thought would be necessary. Oh well it's an ARF.

Last two photos show the engine in the fuselage and this is as far as I want to go until I get the wing mounted. Once I get the wing in the fuselage I can measure and set the engine down and side thrust as compaired to the wing. I can then clean up the cutout and glue the bulkhead in. Just JB-Welded the ends in the push rod so will have to wait till tomorrow before I can install the bellcrank push rod and put the wing together.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: T-Rex Saito Build
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 08:42:41 AM »
You are ingenious.  Why the side mount of the engine?  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »
Hi Doc,

See this thread in the 4 stroke forum.. http://stunthanger.com/smf/index.php?topic=13537.0

It also reduces the amount of lead one needs to add to the outboard wing.

Glued the wing in this morning, putting the wing together and installing it is pretty uneventful. I didn't install the flaps like the book says, just attached the control horn to the trailing edge. This way I can put an incidence meter on the wing and set the stab and engine referincing the wing.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:42:34 AM »
Bob R
THAT is a mighty fine installation on that Saito!  Looks like it came together really well for you.   H^^

Looks like another T-Rex in the air by the weekend!
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Walter Hicks

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 12:06:01 PM »
Thanks Bob for the pictures keep them coming.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »
Back at it, now that the wing is in the fuselage I can make sure the engine down and side thrust are set correctly before finalizing the engine installation and cutouts.

Photo 1 shows my Robert Incidence meter on the wing with the airplane blocked up so the wing is at 0. Difficult to see because of the background clutter in the photo. The digital incidence meter on the engine is a Hobbico digital purchased from Horrizon. I bought the long extension they offer and cut a piece off just long enough to hold the meter mount and one end mount. This way I don't have the extra weight of a long rod hanging out in front.

I had drilled and taped the top motor mount for one engine hold down bolt leaving the other 3 unmarked. Once I had the engine down thrust set at 1.2 deg I marked the other 3 mounting locations. 1.2 deg is what My Latency ended up and saw no reason to go any less or more as the airplanes are real close to the same numbers. The engine mounting holes are somewhat larger than the 4-40 screws and even though it's centered at 1.2, I can adjust it from about 0 to 2 deg simply by loosening the mounting bolts and rotating the engine.

Next is setting, actually just checking the engine offset. Some time ago I grabbed a 14 inch piece of 1/2 X 1/4 spruce and drilled a hole in the middle. I stick this on the front of the engine and either check the angle from the fuselage sides or in this case (because the wing is symmetrical) I can simply measure to the wing. I like a little bit of offset, about 1 deg or so, the Saito has enough power it doesn't cost anything. Turns out the firewall ended up right at 0 so I will use a 1 deg Brodak wedge under the engine to give it 1 deg offset.

Now that I know exactly where the engine is going to be located I can check and finalize the cutout clearance, locate the needle valve hole in the top of the fuselage and locate the choke adjustment hole in the bottom cowl. Locating these holes was easy using the RC carb with the barrel and needle removed. With the engine installed I dropped a small piece of music wire down through the spray bar and poked a hole in the top block. Then I installed the cowl and poked a hole through it from the top using the same piece of music wire.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 09:40:14 AM »
One item that has been known for a while about 4 strokes is the importance of getting clean unheated air into the intake. If you don't provide outside air all the intake sees is preheated air from around the engine case. Sorry about the lousy pictures, it difficult to photograph black on black with any detail.

I made an air scoop by wetting a piece of 1/16 balsa and molding it around a tube I happened to have that looked about the right size. Anything about an inch in diameter will work. After the balsa was dry I cut an angle off the end and ended up with my air scoop. I then covered it inside and outside with black UltraCote to match the location it will occupy on the side of the fuselage. I left the area I would be gluing uncovered.

I then temporary located it on the side of the fuselage and marked the outline on the fuselage with a sharpie. The first photo shows the scoop laying upside down on the nose. Once I had an outline I carefully cut the covering just inside my marks, pieled that section back to the front and temporally taped it down out of the way. I then used a hole saw to drill a hole through the fuselage side and sanded an angle on the hole to direct air to the intake.

I'm now ready to put back the covering previously held back out of the way. To my surprise when I used my trim iron to seal the covering back it shrank just enough to give me a good glue area for the scoop. I was thinking I would need to cut a small strip out in order to get a wood to wood glue joint. It's hard to see but the first photo also shows the fuselage side with the covering back in place ready for the scoop.

I installed the scoop using gap filling CA and will touch up the inside with black Rustolieum when I paint the inside of the engine compartment. Last photo shows the scoop installed, again sorry for the poor detail.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 10:04:58 AM »
With the engine compartment complete I can now fuel proof everything. First I gave the engine and tank compartments a good coat of finish resin epoxy. After this was cured I lightly sanded as much as I could get to in the engine compartment and gave it a coat of black Rustolieum. Now waiting for it to dry....

On another subject, I've put together several ARF's and the first time I came to the instruction that says CUT away the covering I thought bad things can happen if you cut too deep.. With this in mind I devised a way to remove the covering in areas where it needs to be removed without taking a chance on cutting into the balsa underneath.

I ordered a Hobbico hot knife from I believe Tower, and cut the #11 blade it came with down to give me a sorta chisel point. I then dulled the sharp edge using fine sand paper and rounded the point. I happened to have a very long hose clamp I cut into 2 pieces. It has worked out well as it's stainless steel and bends easily but any piece of 3/8 wide thin sheet metal would work. I use the hose clamp pieces as a guide for the hot knife.

First position the piece as it will be installed and mark the cut line with a sharpie. I tape the guide down so it just covers the mark line which (hopfully) leaves just a tiny bit of covering in the glue joint. The photo shows the stab as I was removing the bottom covering. The left side is already cut and getting ready to cut the right. It also shows the piece of the hose clamp I used when I did the wing.

Well that's it for now, I'm am only covering the items I feel are unique to installing the 4 stroke and a couple items I feel make putting together ARF's better. If you have any questions I'll try my best to answer..

Offline John E Rakes

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009, 05:52:18 AM »
I do believe I will be wanting one of these. By the way I like that AA shotgun shell box you got on the tail. Only reloaded thausands upon thausands of those through a mec jr reloader. Kind of a cool memory.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »
Thanks, found out shotgun boxes with the weight of the shells have many uses when building. I no longer bird hunt or trap shoot but the left over shells have been put to good use  ;D

Offline Gene O'Keefe

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 01:34:42 PM »
I would add : very nice building shop you have, clean and well organized - wish I had a dedicated shop like you have.

Geno
Gene O'Keefe
AMA 28386

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 08:38:19 AM »
Putting the final touches on the engine installation..

Didn't really care for the idea of using Velcro to mount the tank, my experience with Velcro and fuel hasn't been that good. Decided to screw eyelets into the tank floor and use wireties to hold the tank. From past experience and measuring the Tank height the T-Rex tank floor is very close to positioning the tank at the proper height. I hit the eyelets with a dab of thin CA to lock them into the tank floor. Positioned the tank as far to the inside as I could get and still be able to put the screw eyes in. Offset the screw eyes to cant the rear of the tank out about 1/8 inch and tied it down.

I am using a modified RC carb per the write up I did on the Gluedobbers web site http://www.tulsacl.com/SaitoCarb.html which puts the fuel inlet right at the fuselage side. This requires the fuel feed tubing exit the tank compartment and be routed to the carb from the outside of the fuselage. Not elegant but it works. I used a 3 inch 1/4-20 nylon screw for the choke adjust in order to make it easily adjustable with the cowl on and added an exit tube for the crank case vent on the inboard side of the fuselage. This will spew a little oil but better than just dumping it inside the cowl.

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 09:01:12 AM »
That's it, she's ready for the first flights with probably won't happen until next weekend. They are predicting 15-20 MPH wind all week but so far this coming weekend is looking pretty good.

Something that is hard to see in the photo that worked out very well and saved a little weight is replacing the metric blind nuts for the cowl hold down with 4-40 blind nuts and using 4-40 flat head nylon screws to attach the cowl. They end up flush with the fuselage sides and look better than socket screw heads.

Wished I had had an easy way to move the engine back about an inch, ended up having to add 2 ounces of tail weight and 1 1/2 ounces of tip weight which brought the total weight up to 63 ounces. Well withen the capability of the wing but more than I had anticipated.

One issue I had during the bench trimming process was I put a little too much pressure on the leadout guide trying to move the forward leadout and broke it out of the rib. Opened up the bottom covering at the wing tip and discovered the tip rib had broke. The leadout guide is glued to a light 1/16 rib and it doesn't take allot to break the rib. I cut rib doublers from 1/16 hard balsa and glued them to top and bottom of the leadout guide catching the rib caps and the spar. Hoping it will reinforce the rib enough that it won't be a problem in the future.

Looking forward to flying it, should be a great stunt ship capable of competing at the highest level.

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 11:24:34 AM »
Looks like you have a Stalker prop on there, what size is it ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2009, 11:35:26 AM »
That is my favorite one so far.

That looks mean!!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2009, 11:52:56 AM »
Looks like you have a Stalker prop on there, what size is it ?

Yep, it's a 13-5.5 that acts more like a 6.5, in fact I had repitched the one on the T-Rex to 6.5 when I first tried it on my Latency but it was too much (lap times at 8300 were 4.5 seconds) so went back to stock one. I repitched this one back down to stock and will see how it does on the T-Rex. I was lucky enough to have bought 3 of these props when Modusa was handling Stalkers. Not sure if Kaz still can get the same one or not. Didn't really care for it on the Stalker 61 but seems to work pretty good on a Saito 62.

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2009, 09:28:51 PM »
Bob that looks bad to the bone, love the engine out the side.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »
Yep, it's a 13-5.5 that acts more like a 6.5, in fact I had repitched the one on the T-Rex to 6.5 when I first tried it on my Latency but it was too much (lap times at 8300 were 4.5 seconds) so went back to stock one. I repitched this one back down to stock and will see how it does on the T-Rex. I was lucky enough to have bought 3 of these props when Modusa was handling Stalkers. Not sure if Kaz still can get the same one or not. Didn't really care for it on the Stalker 61 but seems to work pretty good on a Saito 62.
I have a Stalker 61 with Stalker 12-6   3-blade.  Can see why your 61 didnt like the  13-5.  My 12-6 measures ~5.1 on pitch guage.  I need it be about 5.5, but I thought I remember reading somewhere that the Stalker props had a foam core and because of that should not be re-pitched.  Sounds like you have been successfull at re-pitching them.  What method do you use to heat the blades ??
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2009, 12:18:38 PM »
Ya, guess I just didn't know any better.. It repitched just like any other carbon prop and first I've heard about the foam core but that doesn't mean a whole lot. I used a heat gun with a clip on my pitch gauge set to the desired pitch.. Heat, tweak and hold till cool. Doesn't take as much heat as one would think.. Prop doesn't seem to be effected by it and nothing weird happened when I heated it.

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2009, 01:32:51 PM »

One issue I had during the bench trimming process was I put a little too much pressure on the leadout guide trying to move the forward leadout and broke it out of the rib. Opened up the bottom covering at the wing tip and discovered the tip rib had broke. The leadout guide is glued to a light 1/16 rib and it doesn't take allot to break the rib. I cut rib doublers from 1/16 hard balsa and glued them to top and bottom of the leadout guide catching the rib caps and the spar. Hoping it will reinforce the rib enough that it won't be a problem in the future.

It might not be a bad idea to let Brodak know about this, in case they want/need to contact the manufacturer to instigate a change.  This may not be the only tweak needed in the future.  Time will tell as more are sold.  It is a beautiful plane, no doubt about it.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Offline Phil Spillman

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2009, 08:31:36 PM »
Hi Bob, Your plane looks really cool! Now today a group of us went flying down at Hampton Roads and Jimmy Welsh brought out his T Rex as powered by a ST .51. He left Willis and I fly his bird and boy were we delighted! This thing turns really tight but does not pull your arm out! I felt quite at home with it on the line most comfortable and precisice! I think that you will find that that much engine is too much certainly much more than needed to produce a fine pattern! Perhaps a .50 4C Saito would be better. I am quite sure that you will have very much excess power and that's not all bad either! You're gonna love this thing! For what its worth Jimmy will be flying his T Rex at Huntersvill, NC this weekend.

Phil Spillman
Phil Spillman

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 12:10:26 PM »
The TR goes where you point it. ;D
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:07 PM »
Thanks bradley for a super airplane...yes it goes where you point it....now to learn how to point a little better..LOL   Jimmy
AMA 89335

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
I have just posted pics of my T-Rex ARC electric on the build thread in the electric forum. All  up weight WITH battery is 60 ounces!

bob branch

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »
Ok, had first flights and in honesty much amend my last post. The larger fuse and blunter leading edge caused more electron consumption than I anticipated so I am currently flying the bird with a 3000 mah 4 cell pack and the all up weight is 63 ounces with the battery onboard.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here