News:

• May 01, 2024, 06:53:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Brodak ARF Colors  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Brodak ARF Colors
« on: June 30, 2007, 05:46:44 PM »
I have been away for awhile so this subject may have already been covered...if so please direct me to the thread.
Do the colors that Brodak offer refer to the main base color or the trim color....I'm I making since?

Alan
AMA 7064

"The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have" ~ Vince Lombardi

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
Re: Brodak ARF Colors
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 12:10:01 PM »
Alan,
Yes, your question makes sense.  Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends".  Of the ones I know about, here is how it breaks down.

Super Clown: Airplane is single color except for vertical tail, so the color specified is the base color.  A "blue" airplane is all blue with a red vertical tail.

Smoothie:  All wings are white, the color is for the fuselage and leading edge of the wing and tail.  A "red" airplane has red fuselage and leading edge of wing and tail.

Oriental:  All models have black trim, so the color is the base color for the airplane.  A "yellow" airplane has yellow wings, tail, and fuselage, with black trim and gold and green stripes.

After some bad experiences with the covering coming off, I suggest you consider the ARC version.  Prep wood with Balsa Rite or Stix-It, then cover with Ultracote.  It is probably worth it to cover the fuselage with tissue and nitrate dope, then finish with Rustoleum for long term use.

I have been flying both a SuperClown and Smoothie and they both fly well.  My clown now has red flaps on one side where I replaced the blue covering that departed in flight.

Steve

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 04:12:54 PM »
"Slighty" related item-------I just stripped my Brodak ARF Strega wing and flaps; weight of covering was only
2 5/8 ounces.  I don't think I can recover with Ultra Coat at that weight.  However, U.C. covering is far better than the Brodak covering.     

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 04:21:15 PM »
Thanks!  After reading the replies I guess I should have been a little more specific with the plane or planes I had in mind....Strega and Vector!   n~

Alan
AMA 7064

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:34:46 PM »
Alan,

My Strega was the blue one---with red and yellow trim.  The yellow one has red and blue trim, white has red/blue trim.  Those are the ones I have seen.

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »
Alan,

Sorry, but I just missed this one for some reason! ;D

I am all for getting the ARC.  Knowing your situation, covering material will not be a problem to obtain! LOL!!  The couple of Strega ARFs I have seen have had covering "issues".  Loose, or wrinkles that keep coming back, or the covering just came off!  Now a really really bad thing, but worrisome at best.  The price of the ARF and ARC are very inticing to say the least for what you get.  But knowing you, I would get the ARC and do your own covering job!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 08:30:45 AM »
I vote with Bill.  My Strega is/was an ARF is now and ARC---with much filling/sanding to do before the actual covering.

BTW, the total weight of the Brodak film on the Strega was only  4 1/4 ounces---no way I can recover lighter than that.  I am trying to decide whether to use Monocote/Ultracote on the flight surfaces or to use silkspan and
dope as the fuse will have.

Windy's article in F.M. gave finished weight of 58-62 ounces!!  Balsa must be a lot lighter in N.J. than it is in Alabama!

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 06:03:48 PM »
I vote with Bill.  My Strega is/was an ARF is now and ARC---with much filling/sanding to do before the actual covering.

BTW, the total weight of the Brodak film on the Strega was only  4 1/4 ounces---no way I can recover lighter than that.  I am trying to decide whether to use Monocote/Ultracote on the flight surfaces or to use silkspan and
dope as the fuse will have.

Windy's article in F.M. gave finished weight of 58-62 ounces!!  Balsa must be a lot lighter in N.J. than it is in Alabama!

Jim

**) **)

Windy has a set of magic scales.  Your plane will always weigh a couple ounces heavier on his scales, but his plane will always weigh a couple ounces lighter on his scales.  That always worried me............. **) **)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Alan Hayes

• 22 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:53 PM »
Bill

Several of us were trying to figure out how Brodak came up with color choices...was it the main base color or was there a single base color and the trim scheme the color choice?  I have found out that the Strega refers to the base color and it seems the Vector has a base color of white and the trim scheme represents the color....am I right?

Boy is this confusing... n~

Alan
AMA 7064

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2007, 08:36:01 AM »
I *think* that is correct.  The Vector ARFs I have seen have been white.  Don't know if that was just a coincident or not. ??

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here