News:

• May 08, 2024, 06:11:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Precision Aerobatics Extra MX  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Dallas Healey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Precision Aerobatics Extra MX
« on: September 22, 2009, 05:46:43 AM »
Check out this link to the PA Extra MX.

http://www.precisionaerobatics.com/product_details.php?pid=456

It looks to have good potential for control line conversion apart from the ailerons that finish well short of the fuslage sides which make them a bit more difficult to convert into flaps. I note that there was a previous post on the PA Katana MD but there is no news on whether it was a success.

Walter Hicks

Re: Precision Aerobatics Extra MX
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
 Hi everyone,

I coach Junior College football and that is a 7 day a week job for now on top of my regular 8 hour job.So 14 hour days do not give me much time to play with model  planes.  I have purchased the Extra MX it is 28 oz without any cl mods. I am about finished with the Katana MD. If a person wanted to strip the covering it would be much easier to make all the CL Mods. These airplanes are extremely well made and rigid. Carbon fiber reinforcemnts all over the place.

This one would be a great electric cl plane!!!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:03:19 AM »
 Dallas, those ailerons are so big they really don't need to go all the way to the fuselage.  It shouldn't be too hard to bring in a horn for each aileron through the root of the wing.  You might also consider mounting a 90deg. bellcrank in the aileron servo bays(I'm assuming there are two) and run pushrods to the bellcrank to operate the surfaces so they both go up and down together.
phil Cartier

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
Dallas

Earlier this summer I did an experiment with a similar plane, a Hyperion .46 size extra. Like the PA Extra it is one of the new generation of thin wing 3D RC planes that fly so very well and seem to be very resistant to stall and since in RC 3D we fly them considerably slower than in CL PA I wanted to see if the longer fuse and the other factors made them useable. I powered with an Axi 2826/12 electric. I have a fair amount of experience with electric in RC and CL so it was a natural. The power system was more than up to the task. No issues there. Hyperion is another of the upper quality arfs out there and weight while not quite as light as the Precision Aerobatics planes is very close. (I have already done a Precision Aerobatics Katana-mini coversion and just finished build of RC Katana MD and have the Extra MX next on the RC board so I am familiar with the weights and construction.) I used a Morris bellcrank, and multiple pushrod control system with seperate horns for each flap.

Tests were conducted on 63 ft lines. Probably did a dozen flights in the series with another expereinced electric stunt flier, Rick Sawick, and Frank Carlisle. We all three did the trim adjustments and evaluation flights including video for review to confirm what we thought we were seeing. In short the experiment did not succeed. Even at the higher CL speeds we encountered wing stall in corners that was not correctable with the wing. The Precision Arobatics planes have similar airfoils and moments and I would expect the same. As I said it was an experiment not an attempt to create a world beater. Your milage may vary but hope this helps your evaluation or the concept.

bob branch

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:18:41 PM »
If I may make a suggestion that was done on the SIG Faser's.  You might try cutting the area of the flaps.  Also less flap movement than elevator.  The 3D electrics I see fly at our field have way to much aileron movement for controline, in my opinion.  I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
John

Yes I agree. It was one of the variables we evaluated and adjusted in the test flights. One of the nice things with electric is you don't have to work on engine runs and shims to test. We knew the power system settings from other planes, plugged in the settings and flew the test flights. With 2 minute flights and no need to refuel you can do alot of testing in a small time.

bob

Offline Dallas Healey

• New Pilot
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2009, 06:56:09 AM »
Thanks Bob, you saved me some time and money.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 08:43:25 AM »
Dallas

Glad to help.

bob

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here