News:

• May 10, 2024, 10:03:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Vector problem  (Read 2342 times)

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
ARF Vector problem
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »
Hi guys,

Compleated my ARF Vector at the end of July. Had a terrible hunt, 25' up and then dive for the
ground needing up control to save it from a crash, scary. Worked on it for weeks trying to figure it out.
Finally, Bub Reese was over flying and ask if the controls were free. I said yes. He said, 'with pull on the
fuselage?' I never tried that.

Well, the leadouts were twisted around each other, twice.

So when you build yours, check the leadouts.

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:32:21 PM by Jerry Tarnofsky »

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ARF Vector problem
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 06:38:38 PM »
Jerry:
First off WELCOME to the Forum!

That is a pretty scary story about your Vector.  Indeed, how did you finally pin-down exactly what the problem was... pull the wing covering?  Have you been able to repair it? 
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 07:13:22 PM »
I had a very similar problem with an ARF Nobler, however my problem was in the bellcrank, with no line tension, the controls were totaly free and solid. However, after the crash, I thought hmm and pulled on the leadouts while trying to input control, huge resistance. There was something funky with the bellcrank and pivot.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2008, 06:12:17 PM »
Not a Vector issue but still a controls issue. I won't mention any brands cus everyone will get up tight. But I bought one of the latest high tech ARF'S and never could figure out why the controls were not equal travel in both directions no matter what I did. So finally after much frustration, I cut a peep hole. Guess what, the hole that was drilled for the pushrod was not in line with the pivot. It was offset from the pivot. I replaced the bellcrank and it works fine now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 03:28:17 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• New Pilot
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2008, 09:28:13 PM »
Hi Guys,

When we realized that tention on the fuse, while we pulled on the leadout was the problem,
we looked into the slot in the end of the wing. Since the majority of the covering was white,
it was easy to see inside. We first saw the leadouts rubbing on the 4th rib from the tip. Then
it became clear the leadouts were crossed over twice, so the front line was working the controls
from the proper place. (note: the outer 3 ribs have only one large hole. That's were they crossed.)
   A couple of days later I removed the leadout guide screw, held the lines tight, pushed
the guide itself inside, and rotated the lines and the leadout guide until they were no longer
crossed. The metric allan head would not fit thru the end slot, and by now the screw had fallen off the allan wrench. I had to cut a section of the covering out of the bottom of the tip to recover the screw and
washers. Then CA'ed the screw to an allan wench, held the guide in its slot, and started the screw back
into the blind nut. Once snug, the allan wrench was broken loose and a final adjustment made. Covered
the hole with a piece of monocote trim sheet.
   Have not had a chance to fly it yet, maybe tomorrow.

It took almost as long to type this as it did to fix it. Do not know how much more re-trimmimg it will take.

Jerry

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2008, 07:51:37 AM »
With the white tips you probobly can't even see the repair. Nice solution to the problem hope it flys great for you now.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 08:45:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the crossed lines.  Will have to check mine before I start it.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2008, 09:33:32 PM »
I once knew a Fiat mechanic (yup, Tony), who told me that every maroon 124 Sedan that he ever saw had a crimped rear brake line. Most Italian laborers were Communists, at least then. It probably wasn't hard to figure out where the car was being shipped to, based on various safety and emission hardware requirements, and probably would have been right on the build order.

I guess this twisted leadouts deal might be an easy mistake to make, or a simple bit of sabotage from a devoted follower of Chairman Mao. Keep your eyes open and report any further incidents! If there's a trend, I think John Brodak would like to know, and maybe even the management in China...but I'm sure they'd hear about it.  D>K Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:08:40 PM »
Have I flown it yet? Short answer is no.

Long answer. The Giants were on local TV (Eastern PA) Sunday, and I needed to see them win. (barely)
On Monday we had to go out and do some stuff, then I mowed the yard and my flying field.
Today, Tuesday, was waiting for the dew to dry. Just then, about 10 AM, the dairy farmer, who rents the field behind me to the north, started spreading liquefied manure to plant next years crops. Plus, the access road runs right next to the circle with no more than 10' clearance. His tractors (big ones) pulling the tank spreaders
were coming by every 15 minutes and kicking up o lot of dust. This will go on for 2 or 3 days, there is a lot
of acerage back there. So test flying is on hold until the smell becomes tolerable, in about a week. They only do this in the spring and fall. The rest of the years it is beautify country.

Jerry

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• New Pilot
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 07:46:19 PM »
I'm finally back. Flew the Vector and got in one, 3 minute flight.
Flew level at 10', solid, no hunting, clime and dive, then flew inside and outside loops perfectly
and a few basic wing overs, then ran out the tank.
This was the short story.

Now the long story...

Finally got to fly. Field was mowed with a 1/4 circle take off strip and the rest about 3".
Dragged out the stooge and set up to fly. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Got the Vector connected to the stooge.  Put in 4 oz. of fuel, and checked the lines.
Wrong! Upon release gave full up and it ran along the ground until it hit the high grass, tipped over and stopped the engine. Dragged it back to the stooge. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Turned out full up only got the elevator about 1/4" up. Readjusted the centering. Had to move it about 3/4", no wonder it wouldn't lift.
Restarted and launched again. See above, plane flew great.
Landed, retrieved the airplane and took it back to the stooge. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Filled the tank, 5 1/2 oz. restarted and launched. Screaming lean run as soon as it went air born.
Went 7 or 8 laps then probably overheated and started to quite. Then saw something drop off the
back of the engine into the field behind my house. Another lap and it shut off and landed.
Checked the drop zone first but did not find the mystery object. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Went to the airplane and found the exhaust deflector missing from the RE muffler and the foam block that was
holding the fuel tank in position completely gone. How it got out of the cooling hole is a mystery.
Got the airplane back to home base, near the stooge. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
The tank had dropped about 1/2 to 3/4". No wonder it went lean. Decided to fix it later with a more
secure tank strap, etc. Started to de-fuel the airplane with the syringe. Needed at least 2 more hands.
Did I mention I hate flying alone! After pulling about 4 oz of fuel out, while trying to hold the plane, the plunger
pulled out of the syringe, spaying fuel all over me, the airplane, etc. Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Decided to run the engine out to get any alcohol out of the bearing before putting it away.
Hooked up the glow driver, held the airplane, and hit it with a starter. It ran, and ran, and ran. About 8 to 9
seconds, seemed like forever. Finally quit. Figures it was done, right! Wrong. Started it again, 2 second run.
It did this six or seven times, until it finally went dry. Plane was on the ground with a metal tank. Since it was empty, and the fuel pickup was out of any fuel that may have been in the tank, I have no idea where it was coming from. ???????????? Did I mention I hate flying alone!
Packed up quit.

Jerry

Alan Hahn

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 08:08:01 PM »
For a few paragraphs there it wasn't clear that there was going to be a plane to take home!

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2008, 12:48:18 AM »
can you tell us if you hate flying alone. Tell us how it feels to be seriously uncoordinated,
Seriously though glad that you took it home in one piece. That is the focus of the whole exercise in the first place.
Dennis

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2008, 07:10:05 AM »
The 'Field' is my backyard. I wouldn't fly if my wife wasn't home in case of an emergency.
Found the foam laying just off the circle, in two pieces, in different locations.
Still can't figure out how it got out through the cooling slot.

Reinstalled the pipe and secured the tank. Try again after I mow.

Jerry
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 01:11:20 PM by Jerry Tarnofsky »

Offline Jerry Tarnofsky

• New Pilot
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2008, 05:20:54 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Problems now fixed, pitched props and adj. pipe length.

Jerry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here