News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:03:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Strega  (Read 10237 times)

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: ARF Strega
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2007, 04:21:11 PM »
The tank compartment in the Strega is 1¼" tall and 2½" wide. 6½" is about the max length of the tank with "random" all-forward-facing tubing. A tank built for a specific engine with tubing routed for clearance could probably be 7" long, maybe 7¼" (this would be a real squeeze).
(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2007, 07:20:21 PM »
I believe that Brodak amkes the "Magnum" tank in 6 1/2 and 7 ounce flavors...just the feed tube exits to the front.
The uniflow and vent exit down then loop up to above top of tank....

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2007, 02:03:58 PM »
RO, show pictures of the header/muffler you made for Windy to test with the bend to clear the bottom of the Strega ARF. It really is a nice clean setup for the .76re. y1 Ron.

Offline Richard Oliver

• Lieutenant
    • RO-Jett Engines
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2007, 04:18:53 PM »
I made this for Windy to test this week. The thought is to do away with the exhaust diverter(.5 ounce) and the cost. We will be testing more soon but Windy's weather is going away and he might not get back out for a while.
RO
Richard Oliver

Offline TigreST

• TigreST
  • Commander
« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2007, 07:39:22 AM »
Just thinking out loud here.  Re: Wing leading edge profile.  Has anyone contacted John Brodak about their findings regarding the sharp leading edge issue?  Is it possible they might update the production runs to include the rounded leading edge on later runs of the ARF Strega kits? This may have already been put into the works perhaps seeing as Windy has helped develope the product by some degree. (A large degree I'd guess).

Also, thanks for the tank info.  I'd all put forgotten about the Magnuim style tanks.  They may be just the ticket to get the max. fuel on board.

Tony Bagley
Ontario, Canada

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2007, 08:03:56 AM »
Windy's DVD's  show them making his leading edge more blunt. I'm sure JB knows all about it.
Leester
ama 830538

Walter Hicks

« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2007, 08:58:50 PM »
Hi Everyojne,

I had my maided flights yesterday with the ARF Strega. Set up as follows:Clamp mounts for

RO Jett .76 Se with RO Jett Muffler, Rev Up 14x6 prop. 6 oz metal unfilow tank no muffler pressure.

1 1/2 oz tip weight , my own 1/8 inch landing gear 1/2 inch longer  with gear doors. 64x.018 braided

lines with my Large handle 4" spacing. Blunted leading edge with original covering put back on with balsarite.

taped hinglines flaps and elevators.Omega 5% fuel with 1 oz of Aero 1 and 4 oz of klotz. 67OZ.

Flies very well , easy to fly great turns .In fact it flies as well as anything I have ever had. I am an

advanced flyer 450-475 scores. I believe the key is 14" prop. You can use these if you thin them out

on the blades and use 15% Nitro on St .60 (non -restrictive muffler ,lots of Castor) 14x6 or more pitch.

You will have to run them slower 7400-7800 with the big prop but try it  you might like it. If you do not thin the

prop blades then it will be too much load on the St .60 . I bet it would work with the Merco 61 AND K&B

.61 also. Gid Adkisson with his Laser 200 used this set up with the ST .60 .the ;Laser weighhed 80 + oz

and had a 740 sq in wing . The Strega has a 740 sq in wing and will weigh less than 70 oz.

I am pleasantly  surprised at how well this plane flies , not shocked as it has the big thick wing with lots

of square inches . BUT this means use a large prop..... If you try ot use a sick .60 with 12" prop it will be

not very good , 13" would be better 13.5 or 14" even better. I have cut down some Top Flite Power Point

14x6 props to 13.5 and thinned them I will try them if they work I believe they will be the ticked for the Merco,

K&B , St .60. I have a friend  who claims the Merco will swing the 14" no problem. Also another friend

John Wright used thinned 14" props on his Merco 60 s.  Best ARF yet. I will be using it for a test bed for

RO Jett .76, Saito .62 AND Stalker .81.  Walter Hicks

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2007, 06:50:17 AM »
Wished someone would post what (if any) changes they are making. I didn't see anything in the ARC I examined that needed changing other than replacing the hinges and maybe whatever it takes to install the engine. Oh ya, looks like the nose ring needs to be cut off and attached to the cowl so you can get a 6 1/2 ounce tank in from the front.

It's a well-thought-out ARF - - Reasonable weight, good construction, excellent (Tom Morris) controls, fair covering (although better than I can do with Monokote. I am making only 3 changes:

1) The flaps are very "whippy" so I stripped the Monokote and re-skinned them with 1/32" plywood. Weight went way up but stiffness went up more.
2) Supplied hinges move roughly, so I substituted DuBro hinges
3) I added the Brodak (Windy) Engine Clamp Mounts so I could try different engines with a minimum of bother

First engine will be a YS .63FZ-S. I also plan to try the Saito .56 and .72, just to see. I asked Eric at RSM to make a couple of special tanks for this project, and I'll probably start with the 7 oz. version and hold the 5½ oz. tank in reserve. If the YS proves to be the "engine of choice" the smaller tank should be adequate.

Ralph Wenzel

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2007, 07:56:55 AM »
Please keep us appraised of the YS performance. In RC they are used for their very high power for size qualities but are usually running fairly fast.

You will want to round that leading edge more than the way it comes. Its pretty pointy and testing has shown it flies alot better with a blunt leading edge as the original had.

bob branch

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2007, 09:49:58 AM »
Bob, where did you get the 3/4" extension for your Saito .72. I have a .72 i may put in my Strega ARF  ??? Ron.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2007, 04:36:51 PM »
Ron

I responding after the personal email I sent you. I decided to follow Windy's advice and forgoe the shaft extention and lop the nose off instead. Basic reason was concern for prop security without a Jam nut. Anyway, since I was going to do a 3/4 inch shaft extension, I cut 3/4 inch of the nose instead. I marked in actually about .70 inches from the nose ring. The result was pretty good and just very nice in its result. It winds up being an absolutely perfect fit to a 2 1/4 inch spinner there. The top block still is intact and without a gap to fill in. AND... take a look at the resulting pic after cutting the cowling that I had already trimmed for the Saito at the same distance back... A scale mustang nose scoop! I think its a better way to go. This way standard spinners are not an issue, and you have the jam nut.  Everything else remains the same. Balance wise it looks like its going to come in balpark. I'll ad some reinforcement to the cowl lip but I think this is probably a better answer than trying to deal with a 4 stroke with a shaft extension.

Bob Branch.

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the pix. I actually think it looks totally better than stock. I would like to see a picture of the engine when you get it mounted. I don't have a 4-stroke for this ship but I always find it interesting to see how modelers get around all the little problems that pop up. Keep us posted.....Grins
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2007, 11:09:12 PM »
Please keep us appraised of the YS performance. In RC they are used for their very high power for size qualities but are usually running fairly fast.

You will want to round that leading edge more than the way it comes. Its pretty pointy and testing has shown it flies alot better with a blunt leading edge as the original had.

bob branch

Too late on rounding the LE; that's why I got an ARF this time and plan to keep it that way. I turned the TF Score into an ARC with 40 hours of sanding and re-covering, and I'll never do that again.

As far as rounding the LE more, I wonder if applying thread "turbulaters" about ½" back from the LE might serve the same purpose as rounding????

Ralph Wenzel

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2007, 05:14:06 AM »
Ralph...
Dong the leading edge is really quite quick and inexpensive....
Cut the film covering 1/2" above and below the center (sharp part)......round so that it is as blunt as you can make it.......touch some CA to the thin parts, and put a 1 1/4" wide piece of "trim" type monocoat (the kind that has a real sticky backing and doesn't require heat)....and go fl it...the process took my fired about 45 minutes, and that included a lot of self congratulations.....

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2007, 07:21:04 AM »
Ralph

Turbulators act more to delay a stall. I don't believe that is the issue with the rounder leading edge. Someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob Branch

Willis Swindell

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2007, 03:30:22 PM »
I went flying with Jimmy Welch the other day and while he was flying his ARF Tutor the bell crank pulled out. The mounting system was OK but they had only glued  one side. That got me thinking about my ARC Strega I went home and cut a hole in the bottom of the wing so I could get some glue on the bell crank mounts top and bottom, The bottom nut was a little lose glued that. and the lead out was catching on the rib in certain conditions , cut the rib down some to cure that problem. The wing and stab are ready to glue in, just have too block the tank compartment off from the wing area. Jimmy brought his new 830 sq. in. stunt plane with a LA 65 over to the house tonight and it immediately attacked my Strega.
Willis   ;D
« Last Edit: January 31, 2007, 06:16:09 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2007, 04:16:56 PM »
Either my new airplane thought there was a streamer on your strega or there may be a smaller model on the way  lol................
AMA 89335

Offline Bob Zambelli

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #67 on: February 01, 2007, 06:08:46 AM »
Willis, Jim - what will you name the offspring???

Stregalina?

Bob Z.

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #68 on: February 01, 2007, 08:54:43 AM »
excelent name choice bob...have to consider that.gotta fly it first though LOL...jim Stregasaurus seems possible too....
AMA 89335

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2007, 06:12:34 PM »
830 Square inches?  Welch built a sky Buick!! DV^^

Does it have a provision to attach a JATO bottle to it for help on takeoff and the reverse wingover??? y1

<just kidding Jimmy!  looks great, I imagine we'll see it flying long before my Avanti is done!>

Steve
Steve

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2007, 06:14:08 PM »
Willis, Jim - what will you name the offspring???

Stregalina?

Bob Z.

Damien?   VD~
Steve

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2007, 05:47:09 PM »
Ralph...
Dong the leading edge is really quite quick and inexpensive....
Cut the film covering 1/2" above and below the center (sharp part)......round so that it is as blunt as you can make it.......touch some CA to the thin parts, and put a 1 1/4" wide piece of "trim" type monocoat (the kind that has a real sticky backing and doesn't require heat)....and go fl it...the process took my fired about 45 minutes, and that included a lot of self congratulations.....

OK, Rich, you were right. It took far longer to convince myself to round the LE than to actually do it - - About 5 minutes with a razor plane and 15 minutes with sandpaper; and it looks much better. Thanks for pushing me.

Ralph Wenzel

Willis Swindell

« Reply #72 on: February 02, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
Any one using a 60 size engine in the Strega having a tail heavy problem? I have my ARC together now with no covering and a K&B 61up front with no muffler or tank it balances just about right.It's going to be close.
Willis   ???

Walter Hicks

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2007, 07:52:13 PM »
Strega ARF #1 RO JETT .76 SE.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2007, 09:17:15 PM »
Joe Gilbert put in a few more flights on his ST-60 powered Strega last weekend but is still working on getting the trim just right.

Willis Swindell

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2007, 01:08:27 PM »
I’m coming along slowly on my ARC Strega I have made a few changes like cutting 5 inches of the flaps and making the end of them adjustable on both tips. I made new 1/8 inch landing gear I thought the stock gear were to thick and would break their mounts in grass landings filed in the hole for the tank inside the fuselage filled in the hole in the bottom of the cowl marked in black in the picture. Moved the push rod hole in a quarter of an inch on the bell crank to cut down on the control a little. I filled in between the hinges on the elevator with Monokote. I have no idea what paint scheme I will use, all I know is the tail is going to be Orange and the wing is Blue

Willis    ;D ;D

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2007, 07:01:57 PM »
What CG location is working for you guys?

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Joe Gilbert

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2007, 05:20:23 AM »
I am at 6.75 inches from back of trailing edge of wing not counting the flap at fuselage.  Seven inches is a good place to start.
Joe Gilbert

Offline Warren Leadbeatter

• AUS-14782
  • Captain
    • My Home Page
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2007, 04:53:30 PM »
Hi guys

Can someone explain how the 5/16" engine offset is measured?

Cheers
Warren Leadbeatter
Port Stephens, Australia
AUS-14782

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2007, 06:31:41 PM »
Hi Warren,

See reply 34 thru 39 for some details---as I understand it (I haven't done mine yet), with a 14 inch prop, the distance from the prop tip to the L.E. of the outboard wing is 5/16" less than the distance from the SAME prop tip to the inboard wing L.E., both measured with the prop horizontal.

Clear as mud, right??? n~

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2007, 05:55:42 AM »
There was a comment on taping all hinge lines. What is the accepeted best tape that can be used?
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2007, 06:27:09 AM »
There was a comment on taping all hinge lines. What is the accepeted best tape that can be used?
Thanks
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

3M makes Scotch Brand Crystal Clear which is what I've been told is the stuff to use.

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2007, 04:35:12 PM »
I went to an art supply store and found some  1" clear tape that is sorta pricey , but that works well.... 

Offline Norvaldo

• 2020 supporter
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2007, 12:45:45 PM »
Got mine together.
Was adviced to increase rudder size when using 14" prop's and .76 engine.
49oz ex tank and engine.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2007, 08:49:22 PM by Norvaldo »
Norvald Olsvold

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here