News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:00:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Oriental repair  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I may not always BOM- but I do the re-builds!
ARF Oriental repair
« on: June 10, 2009, 03:20:19 AM »
I gave it a few days and then pulled the wreckage out and evaluated it for repair. Not as bad as I 1st thought. Wing needs a couple center ribs / spar splices + sheeting, it broke at the fuse sides -1 side top, other side bottom.

Fuse broke at the wing trailing edge, transition from ply to balsa at this point + previous repair = stress point. The front end was crunched, but I pulled it back into shape and CA'd together.

Added some 1/16th cross grain above the crutch beams, this will allow me to reinstall the original filler block with reinforcement. Repaired the front of the beams where they split out at the bolt holes with JB Weld. A metal backing plate on the oppisite side from the engine should restore most of original strength.

The repair at wing TE was started with CyA the sheeting and formers back into place. Added a pair of 1/4" balsa longerons to bridge the seam, and a couple smaller ones up top to support the sheeting repair that is spliced in. Looking pretty fair  so far - I think it will be worth while, and I needed something to do while I watched the Magic pull off a win against the Lakers!
Bill Heher
Central Florida and across the USA!
If it's broke Fix-it
If it ain't broke- let me see it for a minute AMA 264898- since 1988!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ARF Oriental repair
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 07:31:25 AM »
Now aren't you glad you hung onto it.  Windy used to do articles on rebuilds of crashes that looked totally hopeless.  Keep up the good work.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 04:04:57 AM »
Thrashed on it some more tonight, used more 1/4" square the make doublers to splice the breaks in the wing spars, leading edge and trailing edge. Multiple trim and test fits and it all lined up pretty good. Zapped it all together while using the table top and edge to keep it straight.

Stuffed it in the Fuselage and checked the wing to tail alignment, pretty good so far. Another night or so and it will be ready for another try.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »
Hope you didn't forget to put the pushrod back in.   LL~ LL~  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Heher

• Fix-it
  • 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 10:45:27 AM »
I figure the pushrod and all that stuff flapping up and down is why I crash - I'm going to get a surf casting rod and make it a big "Whip Powered Plane" ala Blackhawk Models offerings!!

Actually wing is just sitting in fuse to check the fit- still have a bit of center section sheeting to patch before I go for broke and mix up the epoxy for permanent installation.

The weight gain may not be too bad- 4 feet of 1/4" square balsa and 1/2 of a 10 gram bottle of CyA is maybe 10 grams. The epoxy and JB weld on the front end / crutch is probably another 1/2 oz. Should get by at under 2 oz even if I have to throw a bit more lead in the tail to balance.
Bill Heher
If it's broke Fix-it

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here