News:

• May 09, 2024, 03:43:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Lead Out Failure  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Bob Hudak

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ARF Lead Out Failure
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:01:30 PM »
Assembled a Vector 40 in 2006(before I heard of any problems). This plane had many flights so I thought it was free of the problems others had mentioned. Boy was I wrong ! The leadout crimp sleeve split in two causing the plane to come straight in from the top of an inside loop. I found the split sleeve in the wing after examining the wreckage.If I knew this was the fate the Vector had coming I would have changed the leadouts prior to assembly. Don't let this happen to you !

Offline Doug Burright

• Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
Re: ARF Lead Out Failure
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 01:58:59 AM »
Man, I hate it when that happens!
I just re-built my ARFreakiNobler, from an accident, but that one wasn't a mechanical failure.

Previously, in the ARF's life, the pin came out of the clevis on the elevator joiner horn-at the top of a loop- and luckily it has flaps, or it would have been a nose-dive from the top! It managed to pancake in on that one. The hardware was the stuff TopFlite supplied in the box. Very dissatisfied with the quality of this offering from TopFlite, but the darn thing does fly rather well.

Sorry for your loss; I hope you get back in the air, soon!
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Rick_Huff

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 07:20:40 AM »
I have an ARF Vector 40 with 53 flights on it and I sure don't want that to happen to me.  I assume the leadouts are crimped at the bellcrank too?  If so, what's the easiest and least destructive way of getting to them?
Rick

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 06:54:37 PM »
Rick
 "easiest and least destructive " Don't go together. On the bottom remove the covering from the first bay. Then you can see the leadouts. If repair is needed remove enough of  the planking on that side and change the leadouts. It is not a tough job.
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here