News:

• April 27, 2024, 10:18:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF FLIGHT STREAK  (Read 3051 times)

Offline Bob Disharoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ARF FLIGHT STREAK
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:48:05 PM »
I ran across the ARF Flight Streak while surfing Tower Hobbies site and thought the price{ compared to the Brodak:gotta build it and order 20 to 30 bucks of extras to finish it!}, was too good to be true....49 bucks aint bad..anyway, I ordered one as well as an LA-S 25. I know there was an older thread talking some about this combo and am wondering if anyone has any pertinent info for me before I dive into it. I think what would be most helpful would be engine/ tank setup and any weak areas on the plane to be a concern. Thanks in advance guys..Im sure Ill get all the "skinny" needed from you!..Bob

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
Re: ARF FLIGHT STREAK
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 07:53:37 PM »
I went to the field today and took mine but didn't fly because it was a picnic and there were members there that only come out once in a while so I walked the flight line and counted at least seven FS ARF's. Most were powered by LA25's with stock or wedge tanks, some on muff pressure, some not. There was one electric powered that flew but was still under development. It looks like changing leadouts is up to the pilot but you can get to everything after assembly. Landing gear wire is soft as far as I am concerned and the stock tire is to narrow causing it to fold out the foam tire jamming the wheel collar screw, fixed by a wider tire/wheel. Bush the l/g wire where it goes into the fuse with tubing glued in to prevent it from enlarging the hole. The fuselage is hollow so it can break at the front of the wing but after stuffing mine in I have not noticed cracking yet but have heard of repairs with CF tubes epoxied in to stiffen. Check for warps in wing and straighten with heat gun, mine seems to need it every other week but maybe the person who assembled yours put some skill into it and it's straight. For the cash what can you say, it seems to work good out of the box with little need for change and provides a good knockaround with good flight characteristics.    Tight lines and good clean engine runs. H^^

Alan Hahn

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 08:12:34 PM »
I thought we had a review on the TF FLite Streak Arf over at SSW. It may have been lost (like the TF Nobler Arf review) in one of the crashes the board suffered occasionally back in the "good" old days. Anyway do a search on it --the SSW search engine is working now too.
I have one that I fly on-and-off with a Fox15BB. Until I added a little nose weight, it was really twitchy. Since I am using such a small engine, I didn't change anything on the ARF itself. With a 25, I might revisit the leadouts, they were pretty thin on the first generation Flite Streak Arfs--I have one of those. Oh, the 1st generation tank was junk (it was rusty), but just replace it with a clunk tank. I use a 2oz Sullivan and it gets me thru the pattern on 52 foot lines. Actually it is a pretty good deal at $50.

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
Forgot to add that R/C Universe has a C/L forum with lots of info on setting up the streak, type in flite streak arf in the search box.

Offline Mike Foley

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 10:46:44 PM »
  Flew mine for a couple of years then gave it away.  Flown with a LA 25 and GRW 3oz Uniflow on muffler pressure. Very good flying model.  Everythng was stock, even the ca hinges and controls

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 04:57:36 AM »
The ARF Streak got me into and almost through Beginner. I used an LA25 with a stock muffler and a 9x4 prop, Master Airscrew or APC. The tanks was any 3oz GRW or Brodak that fit. I ran muffler pressure to a non uniflo vent. A no muss no fuss easy flying combo. Everything stock except for pin hinges. It got me over the crash syndrome. Pristine for a season and a half of regular flying and competition. A turning point plane. Eventually the nose fell off. Attempts to revive the plane after that didn't work too well. The epoxied on nose (with CF rods stuffed in the hollows) made for a bad vibration resonance. Couldn't get an engine to run smooth without weirdness. At that point I went onto more sophisticated birds. Like any ARF AND any homebuilt wing covered in cote, it needs to be checked for warps and hit with a heat gun now and then. Most Brodak and other ARFs are a different order of sophistication. While ARF Streaks are o.k. for Beginner, I don't see them used to fly the full pattern in Intermediate and above. A great stunt trainer and a knock about sport plane. The nose of a club member's ARF Streak also fell off, after a season or so of fun sport flying. The LA40 made for a honking good time. He epoxied the nose back on down and dirty. His is back and dancing.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 08:09:46 AM »
Carefully trimmed and with minor upgrades, the ARF Flite Streak is a potent contender around here.  At the Palmer Memorial contest, Stan Tyler walked off with the BARF (Best ARF) award with a 507point flight in Profile 40 - Competitor.  He has won the event in the past with the same plane.  Mine with a Saito 30 was a real delight to fly.  Dirty Dan has the combo worked out to a readily reproduced perfection.

One major modification that will drastically improve the flight characteristics is to go to a much larger, high aspect ratio tail.  We add about 4" span to the stabilizer, keeping the same look, and 1/2" chord to the elevator.  The model can now be tuned to turn very tight without any exit bobble.  The nickname for this is the Doodle Streak, since Bill Netzband suggested that high aspect ratio empennage with a low aspect ratio wing is a good thing for unflapped models (A technique he uses in his Doodle Bug design, thus the name).  He even gave me the correct area to use.

On my Saito model, I shortened the nose about 1.5" and put a plastic clunk tank housing on the inside of the nose.  I didn't use the usual plumbing, I used a floppy balloon.  Never a worry about air bubbles or foaming with that system, and the fuel "head" generated by centrifugal (centripital? I never can get that straight) force provides reliable fuel draw in spades.  In fact, it results in what I call a 4/4 break.  The engine is set full lean on the ground, and goes slightly rich in the air.  When you go into a maneuver, and especially overhead, the power comes on strong.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 08:20:46 AM »
As mentioned the nose is weak.  Very weak.  Worse yet with the monokote fuselage it's not easy to tell if it's broken.  I suspect mine broke in a very soft crash but I didn't discover the damage till a few weeks later.  The landing gear is a waste of time.  On pavement the tire is too soft and the wing tips drag tearing up the covering anyway, and on grass it usually noses over.  I replaced the entire control setup and all of the hardware.  Used a OS 20FP with the standard treatment.  I wanted one just because, and honestly it's the worst flying Flite Streak I've ever owned.  If I did it again I'd probably toss the kit fuselage and build a new one from 1/2" sheet with Skyray 35 moments.  I've had three Flite Streaks built right out of the old TF kit, and several that were kit wings in Skyray 35 dimension fuselages, and all flew better then the ARF.  Nothing against the ARF, but a better product can be created in nearly the same time for less money.

Steve Kientz

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2007, 10:54:17 AM »
  I agree with Andrew,use Skyray moments and you'll end up with something you want to fly.I rebuilt a FS arf that way for a RC member and it flies great. He has an older Os .25(rc version) and it really gets with the program.60' lines and 15% nitro calmed it down(he was using 30% and 52' lines).Ex combat flyer from the 60's,found out that R/C has a tendency to slow your reflexes(NOT AGE!!!).

Steve

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2007, 11:36:59 AM »
I shall reiterate, for someone else here, get ahold of Dirty Dan,, I have seen his FS fly and it has scored very well in EXPERT with competative flights, he has the whole skinny available I think for an email, Its a very comprehensive peice well written and worth the read even if you elect not to go his route.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2007, 12:45:34 PM »
I shall reiterate, for someone else here, get ahold of Dirty Dan,, I have seen his FS fly and it has scored very well in EXPERT with competative flights, he has the whole skinny available I think for an email, Its a very comprehensive peice well written and worth the read even if you elect not to go his route.

Hi Mark,

I have read Dan's set up.  It is clearly marked out just what to do to get the FS turned into a pretty darn good profile.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Scott

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • Terrorizing earthworms since '65
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 08:26:17 PM »
Out of the box the TF Flite Streak ARF is a pretty darned good profile.  It may only last one or two seasons but for $49...

Alan Hahn

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 07:51:27 PM »
As far as I know the Arf is a faithful reproduction of the original kit. So in that regard, changing the moments to a Skyray represent something of a "travesty"  ~^ to the old bird!!!

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 09:21:13 PM »
As far as I know the Arf is a faithful reproduction of the original kit. So in that regard, changing the moments to a Skyray represent something of a "travesty"  ~^ to the old bird!!!

You mean aside from the hollow fuselage, CA hinges, junk hardware package, and monokote?  It's not very close to the original TF kit already, a slight change in the moments isn't going to make it less of a Flite Streak, it'll just fly better. The problem is that the hollow fuselage doesn't hold up to any abuse.  As long as a person is creating a new fuselage blank, they might as well improve the design. 

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 09:35:40 PM »
I believe the ARF Flite Streak already has a fuselage that is around an inch longer(wing to tail) than the kit.

Steve Kientz

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 05:54:17 AM »
This ARf can't compare to the Streak of old.My mentors plane barely lasted one flight.after the crash he gave me what was left and Iused the plans from the Skyray I was buiding to put it back together.I'm sure another ARF company might do things differently,but to say this is a reproduction would be untrue.

Steve

Alan Hahn

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 12:24:57 PM »
It (the Arf that is) is a reproduction as far as any classic rules or even "old time" with regards to the airfoil and moments (although I might be wrong as someone mentioned above in the wing to tail length).
There is certainly nothing wrong, in principle, with making a hollow fuse---that's internal--and can be good-it's lighter, or bad---it's flimsy.

However my Fox15bb certainly works well with it.

But a Flite-Ray certainly isn't a reproduction of anything poor old George had in mind when he designed the Streak  n1. Oh, the humanity...... ;)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 12:30:22 PM »
One other comment would be that the Arf Streak would be a great candidate to electrify since the vibration level is so low and the airframe weight is so minimal too. Of course I am not sure if George might agree or disagree with that change!

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 01:08:43 PM »
Elwyn's post got me curious, so I just went out and did some measuring.  The authentic TF kit has a tail moment an inch shorter then the current ARF Flite Streak.  The Skyray 35 is 1-1.25" longer yet, and has a 6" nose length which allows for a stubby 4oz tank.  The longer dimensions make the plane more user friendly.  What George created, what TF kitted, and what TF produces as an ARF now are three different things.  Cutting a new fuselage that will last more then a few days and improve flight characteristics isn't going to make an ARF less of a Flite Streak.  Put the wiggy tips and rudder on anything you choose and people will assume it's a Flite Streak. The average person buying and flying the ARF Streak is more likely to crash, and crash often, then they are to campaign it in Classic stunt. 

There's a ARF, a vintage kit built Streak, and a TF kit wing in a Skyray spec fuselage in this pic, and most people would never see the difference.  The ARF is by far the worst flying of the group.

Offline Elwyn Aud

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Inferalandings Photo Page
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »
I've got two ARF Streaks and have enjoyed them a lot. They are built rather lightly, but neither of mine have had any hard abuse (just hard flyng and hanger rash, knock on wood) so they seem to be holding up fairly well at this point. I did put brass tubing in the motor mount holes to help fight crushing and use aluminium plates on both sides of the nose to help distribute the pressure. Neither plane is using gear at this point. I got one of the Streaks second hand and it had a one wheel gear but I removed  it.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here