News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:52:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF COVERING - Glue Removal  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Denis Downs

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
ARF COVERING - Glue Removal
« on: September 18, 2007, 06:21:55 AM »
I am considering removing the covering material from a new Brodak ARF and recovering with Monocote. I am looking for advice as to what is required to remove the residue from the original covering such as glue, etc.

Will it be necessary to sand all surfaces again to remove the covering glue. or is there a way to remove it with chemicals? If so, what chemical and procedure?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Re: ARF COVERING - Glue Removal
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2007, 07:31:28 AM »
I am considering removing the covering material from a new Brodak ARF and recovering with Monocote. I am looking for advice as to what is required to remove the residue from the original covering such as glue, etc.

Will it be necessary to sand all surfaces again to remove the covering glue. or is there a way to remove it with chemicals? If so, what chemical and procedure?

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Hi Denis,

I do not believe sanding would be the answer.  Acetone, lacquer thinner, or some other *chemical* would be needed.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Reeves

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Somethin'Xtra Inc.
Re: ARF COVERING - Glue Removal
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2007, 11:53:17 AM »
Denis, if you use a heat gun to remove the covering you won't have very much if any residue left on the wood. Start a corner and let the weight of the piece pull the covering off while applying heat from your monokote heat gun. Works like a champ.. If you do have any left over glue acetone will take it right off.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here