News:

• April 28, 2024, 08:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF Cardinal saved by Pre-flight inspection  (Read 2814 times)

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
ARF Cardinal saved by Pre-flight inspection
« on: July 25, 2010, 05:25:18 PM »
Went flying today to test my ST G34 in my Arf Cardinal. I was going to follow the advice I was given by Brett and others in the Engine forums thread on ST G34. While doing my pre flight routine I pulled the handle and all was fine just needed a little tweek. I repeated the process and my bottom line went slack. The bottom line came off the bell crank (factory crimp job). I've flown this plane for about 3 years, I sure got LUCKY this time. The ARF will live for repairs. I was all set to see how the 34 would do on the 49 3/4 oz Cardinal , oh well a bell crank swap out is better than what could have happened.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ARF Cardinal saved by Pre-flight inspection
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 05:36:54 PM »
Lucky save!

There was a discussion recently -- I can't remember which forum -- about pull testing your model every time you fly.  My lackadaisical nature says that's overkill -- but it would have caught this problem!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:02:16 AM »
You are so lucky. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:06:57 AM »
I got the old B/C out after some cutting, now to wrap the new lead outs and reinstall. The way the wing tips are made will make it easy to get the lines into the adj. L.O.'s.

As the picture shows, the culprit was the crimp sleeve split in two. Looks like all my ARF's/ARC's will get new lead outs from now on.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 04:26:00 PM »
I attached new lines to the B/C and fished them through the wing with some .034 music wire. Buttoned up my cut outs, now to repair the covering and wrap the ends and I'm ready to go.. again.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:18 PM »
I attached new lines to the B/C and fished them through the wing with some .034 music wire. Buttoned up my cut outs, now to repair the covering and wrap the ends and I'm ready to go.. again.
That looks way easier than a total rebuild!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 07:02:39 AM »
That is looking good.  Too bad we don't live closer together.  I have a peice of 1/16 tubing 36 inches long for replacing leadouts on ARF/ARC's.  For me much easier than trying to feed the thru the ribs for gluing together.  Slide the tubing into the wing and then feed the leadouts into the tubing.  Now you know why I don't like crimps.  I used them once at a combat contest and never again. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 08:45:38 AM »
Might have to barrow that idea Doc  y1 y1  

Tim, that was a piece of cake compared to a rebuild.

It's ready to go now   ;D ;D
Leester
ama 830538

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:59:14 AM »
I see you are using the annealed tubing over the cable.  Sure makes it easier to do wraps than with the eyelets.  Have you seen Bob Z's article in Control Line World? H^^ 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
Yes Doc, the tubing is the only way to go. Haven't got to the article yet but plan on it.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
Yes Doc, the tubing is the only way to go. Haven't got to the article yet but plan on it.

The way Doc showed of terminating the leadouts in the other thread is the same way I did it until I got around to the trick bellcrank. The key to the tubing is to make absolutely sure that there is NO free, uncovered wire. The teardrop has to go all the way around , touch at the ends, and then you have to run the wrap right to it and over it. If you leave even a little bit unsupported, the cable will eventually flex and break right where it exits the tube.

Brett

Offline Larry Lindburg

• Commander
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 02:53:10 PM »
Good job, Lee!
AMA 95707

Offline Bill Barber

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:03:23 PM »
  Lee , don't forget to give us a flight report after switching to the ST .34 !
          Bill
AMA 325076

Offline Leester

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:31 PM »
Thanks Brett, I'll do the wrap as you said.

Thanks Larry, I've still got 4 more days off so we can get out and fly. I'm wanting to see how that 34 does, I'll check the weather and see whats up.
Leester
ama 830538

Offline Luiz Dutra

• Ensign
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:02 PM »
I had the same problem with a 2006 ARF Vector... Showing the commands to a friend two years after (in 2008 ) and the bellcrank positive cable pull off in my hands (very luck to my Vector). I still flying with this Vector .   #^
Luiz Dutra
Mococa/São Paulo-Brasil.

Offline Art Zehner

• Art Zehner
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2010, 09:55:23 PM »
  Leester,
  Thank you for the information and pictures.  I cut into my ARF cardinal wing before installing it in the fuse and one of the crimps on the bell crank fell apart in my hand.  Your pictures made it an easy job.  It would have broke in a pull test.  Was much easier to fix with wing not installed.
 Art
AMA 814545

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »
  Leester,
  Thank you for the information and pictures.  I cut into my ARF cardinal wing before installing it in the fuse and one of the crimps on the bell crank fell apart in my hand.  Your pictures made it an easy job.  It would have broke in a pull test.  Was much easier to fix with wing not installed.
 Art

Righty-oh, Brother Zehner. Even if an ARF can be RTF in 8 hours, a extra couple of extra hours to shore up the control system is time well spent. Replacing the profile fuselage is another fine idea. Starting with an ARC makes all the above more practical.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here