News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:27:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARF's and contests  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
ARF's and contests
« on: December 31, 2010, 08:39:23 PM »
Just a couple hours left here in 2010.  So I am going to offer a view point on something I find more than highly amusing.  I do not post in the section much, but "we" do (my oldest son, Aaron, and I pretty much share everything in this hobby, the workshop is still in my basement, although he lives 30 miles away with his family! LOL!!) have three ARFs.

I have read countless times that "so and so" "cannot fly my ARF in a contest because of Appearance Points."  WHY NOT?  Unless it is Junior, Senior, or Open at the NATS, or a contest (that I don't know about) which only uses J/S/O, not PAMPA classes, ARFs are allowed. Period.  

So why can't so and so fly their ARF?  The only reason I can think of is that they are spotting the competition somewhere else than 19 points, usually 12-15.  So, it is a personal choice on "So and So's" part , and only their decision.

A couple choices DO EXIST for "so and so', however.  1. They can fly and give up the difference in AP.  If "WINNING'" is there only motivation, that is not an option.  2. They can work with a coach, burn a bunch of gallons (or recharge a bunch of batteries), in other words practice in a meaningful way.  3.  Build their own plane and get appearance points, so that no excuse is left.  We participate in contests in this hobby because we want to.  I know, I know, the money and women are a great side bar, but no one forces us to do it.  Not in the USA anyway.  The way things are is not going to change anytime soon, so make the decision that is best for you.  Just don't say "I can't fly my ARF in a contest because of Appearance Points"!  There is no truth in that statement.

This post is NOT pertinent to whether or not ARFs are good or bad for C/L.  So, be forewarned that any responses pertaining to that point will be trashed.  But if you have a view point pertaining to the sole premise of "the legality of ARFs flying in any contest that is flown under PAMPA classes", please share.

Happy New Year!
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: ARF's and contests
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
I've read the rules, and I don't see anything that precludes competing with an ARF (or someone else's plane); except for losing a few points.

I fly because I like to fly.

I build because I like to build.

Sure, I'd like to win some contests, but mostly I compete because I like to compete, and because the feedback from the judges and fellow competitors helps me fly better.

I fly models that I've built because I like to build, because I'm a tightwad, and because I'm not rolling in the dough right now.  Were I up on money, and not such a perfectionist about building, then I'd happily buy ARFs and fly them.

I would love to be in a position to say "I woulda won except for this here ARF and them there appearance points".  Until I'm within 20 points of winning (which is going to take a loooooooong time), I feel no external motivation to fly what I build.  When I get to that point, you'll hear me saying "I woulda won except that I can't finish planes for #@$#!".

AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 11:22:30 PM »
I've read the rules, and I don't see anything that precludes competing with an ARF (or someone else's plane); except for losing a few points.

Yes, that is exactly what I said.  And I am referring to numerous posts over the years where someone has said "I can't fly my ARF because of Appearance Points".  No rule, as you know, says that except int eh cases I pointed out.  PAMPA classes allow any safe plane to be flown by anyone regardless of who built it.

I am looking doe discussion on WHY anyone would actually say that.  It makes me laugh to hear it, because it automatically begs for several theories to be drawn from the statement.  Most of which would be polar opposites to why you have stated that you like to fly in contest, etc..  Such as, "If I can't win, place or show, I ain't wasting my time"..... etc.. 

Going in a different direction here from why someone DOES fly an ARF in competition, instead I'm looking for a plausible explanation for why someone would not.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 12:01:28 AM »
The closest explanation that I can give came from a conversation I had at the Salem contest this fall (it's still 2010 here).  The fellow was grumbling about appearance points, quite obviously because he (a) wanted to win, and (b) wasn't a hot builder.

I can't fault anyone for wanting the rules to lean their way -- but I'm with you on disagreeing with the "I can't".  It's more "I'd rather not", or "I won't", or "I can fly but I can't win so why bother".

By that reasoning, I should be grumbling that the flights are judged at all!  I should be allowed to start my engine, then the judges should roll several dice to get my score, then I'll fly a lap, then look at the score board.  Why should I say this?  Because my flying is crappy!  Staggering through a beginner's pattern without unscheduled contact with the ground is a triumph for me; I certainly don't fly well enough to win anything (unless I happen to be in a class with as many people as trophies, as was the case at Salem).

So I think at this point we're just singing in harmony.  I do think the BOM rule is getting ragged around the edges, and will be getting more and more obsolete.  I don't know of any other sport where you're scored on building your own equipment.  The way the world is going I think it's getting more and more dated.  I don't like that, I'm happy that I can be scored on a combination of my building skills and my flying, but I wouldn't be surprised that by the time that appearance points would make a material difference to my ability to win a trophy that they're no longer being awarded.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2011, 09:06:53 AM »
I have backed the ARF/ARC's and someone else built planes ever since they started  coming out.  That is also the reason I like the PAMPA Skill Classes.  I have also been to contests where an ARf/ARC has won.  I've even flown the ARF Nobler in a few contests myself.  Still haven't figured out why my uni-flo vent pipe when held in place with a bracket, the engine runs great.   As soon at the bracket comes loose and angles to the back of the plane the engine goes super rich.  Don't tr answering that as I have done it on purpose a couple of times and nobody else has been able to answer it either.   I like some of the ARF/ARC kits as they are better than what I can build. H^^ H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 09:18:41 AM »
HI Doc,

Flying an ARF or not isn't the point of my question.  The thinking, and subsequent posting, of: "I can't because of the Appearance points" is my concern. 

Heck, I just might fly the ARF Electric Super Clown we just got a Huntersville in OTS!  Of course, that isn't really germane to my "question" since there is no AP at Huntersville.  (another subject I have never fully understood, but also not germane to my original question!) LOL!!  And I don't want this thread to go "there".

Thanks!  And HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:51:29 AM »
 D>K Morn'in gents! I have been involved in getting back into this great sport after 12yrs away and as usual a lot has changed. I started building then got involved in some renovating around the house and i realize i don't have any more time to finish what i have started on my planes. I this weekend I thought about an ARC/ARF to get me up in the air this spring but am on the edge about either. What exactly is an ARC and how much work is it to complete. I'm thinking of a Vector with a Stalker 40 or Enya 40 but not sure weather to ARC it , or ARF it! What do you guys think, I need your experience. Thanks!---LOUIE   H^^ H^^

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 07:16:07 AM »
Okay, Okay!!!, I found it. HB~> Now my problem is how much work is really needed to complete the model in your opinion. 20,30,40%? Is the ARC better for checking quality vs the ARF? Any good sources for these planes besides Brodak, Ultrahobby? Thanks---LOUIE  H^^

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 07:39:43 AM »
Hi Louis...
I think you would do well with either an Ultra Hobbies Nobler (great flier, very little else necessary to make it work well) or a Vector ARF, and power either with a Brodak 40 or an AeroTiger 36....
We have no BOM requirement in District II
Have fun!
Peabody

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:35:05 AM »
Thanks Rich. I do see there is a lot out there on the Vector ARC/ARF and unless I know exactly what control system is in whatever one I get I must do surgery to find out. Dis site is "da bomb", you guys are great and always willing to help us retreads out!---LOUIE

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 01:57:55 PM »
Thanks Rich. I do see there is a lot out there on the Vector ARC/ARF and unless I know exactly what control system is in whatever one I get I must do surgery to find out. Dis site is "da bomb", you guys are great and always willing to help us retreads out!---LOUIE

Louis, The bellcrank system was fine in mine and I didn't change the lead outs either. I did use my own pushrods but that was personnel preference. I think it is one of Brodaks best offerings and is probably only bettered by some of his newer 60 sized models.
Dennis

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 02:09:54 PM »

Hi Louie,

The bellcrank is visible in the ARF/ARCs.  So you will be able to "see" what's in there before you put it all together.  Changes are up to the discretion of the owner.  The stuff in the Vector is pretty good.  Some just don't like the crimps, etc., on the lead outs.  A CF pushrod is always an easy and good upgrade, though. ;D 

I will tend towards the ARCs in the future purchases.  Just too much hassle to "seal" all the edges of the covering on the ARFs, and everyone says the covering starts to come up if not sealed.  We cheated on the Vector ARF and used Min Wax polyurethane in a spray can (not the waterbased) and sprayed all the edges.  It is a practice plane, so the "looks" were not critical.  Not noticeable from 5 feet anyway! LL~

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 10:59:55 AM »
OK, so I asked a question.  Tim gave an answer to the question in his opinion, but he hasn't "said", "I can't fly my ARF in a contest".

No one has answered that who HAS said that.  Why not?  Anyone can hide behind the keyboard, I want to hear the reasoning from anyone who feels that way. 

Why "can't" you fly your ARF in a contest?  The "age groups" at the NATS is the only place on the universe that bans ARFs.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Steve Fitton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 12:06:44 PM »
I can't fly my ARF in a contest......

...because I gave it away!   VD~
Steve

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:44 PM »
I can't fly my ARF in a contest......

...because I gave it away!   VD~

LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 11:17:13 PM »
Hi Bill,

When people say they "can't fly their ARF in a contest", they are really saying (what they mean is):  " I can't COMPETE with an ARF in a CLPA contest where the BOM/APs rule is used". AND THEY ARE CORRECT!

I'm posting this in answer to your Topics question. This is for those who have not read the rules section where I originally posted this at the request of Robert for an explanation of one of my prior posts. I hope this answers your original question.

THE  BOM/AP  RULE HAS A VERY LARGE IMPACT ON “ALL” CLPA CONTESTS IN THE USA!

The BOM rule is THE rule that is used to DIVIDE the models at EVERY CONTEST IN THE NATION  into those that get A/P points and those ARFs that do NOT receive ANY A/Ps. (the obvious exceptions are the contests in two regions of the country that no longer use the BOM/AP rule at their PAMPA contests).

Bob Branch said it best: “…. This means that ARFs are allowed to enter PAMPA events but NOT compete. They are “allowed” there for a “Fly-in”, NOT a competition. ….”

For years I have heard it over and over again "..... that ARFs are allowed to enter and there is No significant penalty to do so .....” . This statement, and others like it, are DEAD WRONG!

Many of us have felt all along that the BOM/AP rules had a large impact at ALL contests in the USA, but I wanted to get the ACTUAL FACTS before I made my bold statement in print. The other day, when our winter temps plunged way down into the mid 60s, I stayed inside and spent a few hours doing a little research. The numbers below come from 10 randomly selected contests that had at least 5 or more entries in each class. These 10 came from a group of 20 that I studied. These contests come from all quadrants of the USA and cover the past several years.  I have more details in my SS, but below are the important high lights.

HERE ARE THE FACTS:

INTERMEDIATE

100% of ALL contests had their TOP THREE PLACES CHANGE THEIR ORDER BY 10 POINTS OR LESS.

80% of  ALL contests: 15 POINTS or LESS covered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, place. This means that you could out fly everyone else by 15 points and could still end up in 4th place 80% of the time!  At 40% of the contests: 10 POINTS covered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. 

80% of ALL contests had the 1st place winner and the 2nd place pilot  with 10 POINTS or LESS separation between them.  This means that at 80% of the contests the second place pilot flying an ARF would have been the WINNER of the event if the other guy had not received 11 Appearance Points THAT HE RECEIVED BECAUSE OF THE UNDERLYING BOM/AP RULE.

ADVANCED

100 % of ALL contests had their TOP THREE PLACES CHANGE THEIR ORDER BY 15 POINTS OR LESS.  90% BY 10 POINTS OR LESS.

70% of ALL contests:  15POINTS or LESS covered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. At 60% of the contests: 10 POINTS covered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd PLACE.

70% of ALL contests had the 1st PLACE WINNER and the 2nd place pilot with 10 POINTS OR LESS separation between them.

EXPERT

100 % of ALL contests had their TOP THREE PLACES CHANGE THEIR ORDER BY 10 POINTS OR LESS.

90 % of ALL contests:  15 POINTS or LESS covered 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place.  70% BY 10 POINTS OR LESS.

90% of ALL contests had the 1st PLACE WINNER and the 2nd place pilot with 10 POINTS OR LESS separation between them.

SOME COMMENTS

Someone else's research may show slightly different #s, but they will still be very close. They will still show that THE BOM HAS A LARGE IMPACT ON ALL CONTESTS IN THE USA! ....... So everyone, PLEASE stop telling us that the BOM does not impact any other contest but the nat's, IT DOES!

I have another request for all those who have said this in the past. PLEASE stop saying: "..... just practice a little more and you can make up those 15 points ...." or something similar to this. ...... I know you think you are helping, and I know you don't mean it to be insulting, but it is. We have all practiced as hard as our schedules and other obligations have allowed us to practice. We have all devoted as much time, money, and effort as we can, under our individual circumstances, to this activity. This is exactly why most sports have several different classes so that people with similar levels of commitment can compete with each other. And those that are VERY committed have a top, usually called "OPEN, or UNLIMITED" CLASS, that allows the very best/MOST committed people to compete for the "top of the heap" prize.  ....... Before anyone says this comment to us again, please go up to one of our World Champion American pilots when he places 2nd at a regional contest, 10 points behind the winner, and tell him: " you should have practiced more, and put more effort into this hobby, then you would have easily been able to make up those 10 points", then ask him how he feels about your comment. Then go up to the other world champion pilot that was the winner and tell him THAT YOU ARE TAKING 10 POINTS AWAY FROM HIM, moving him to 2nd place. Then ask him how he feels about it. ..... I doubt if either one will say that these 10 points had NO impact on their results.
    AFTER you have talked to both of these world champions "at" the contest, then come and talk to me about these 10 "little" points!

NO $$$. To be clear, "I, and 99.9% of the others who want to see this rule changed outside the Nat's, have ZERRO commercial interest in this hobby". NO ONE is getting rich in the CL industry. In fact, the ONLY person that is making any serious $$ in the entire model industry is the young man who created and owns the "REAL FLIGHT" flight simulator program. I know many of the people in the industry (RC and CL) and most are just getting by. The few successful people are lucky to be making a middle class living, at best. .... It's like most businesses in the world of aviation: "How do you make 1 million $ in aviation? .... Start with 2 million $s. ;-)

Robert, even though this post is an effort to address your request for an explanation, I am not referring to YOU in any of the above examples of prior statements. I am trying to address the many statements made by many different people over the past several years. I am very impressed by, and grateful for, your open-mindedness on this important topic. As I said earlier, for a master builder like you to make such a reasonable statement at the start of your topic gives us all hope that we will be able to come to some reasonable compromise on this important issue.

I think that with over 12,000 ARF/ARCs (mostly ARFs) out there, it is not a "small" issue anymore. It impacts more than a small minority of CLPA flyers. I have always thought that keeping the BOM/AP rule at the Nat's and having PAMPA take the next step from allowing ARFs to enter to actually allowing them to compete equally on a level playing field by removing the BOM/AP rule from PAMPA contests nationwide would be a compromise that may make the largest % of CLPA flyers happy (As if making us CLPA flyers happy is EVER going to be possible?     ). At least it might be better than the very low % of happy people in the three+ camps we have now?

Again, thank you and your "staff" for bringing us this wonderful CLPA forum. You have made it very easy for us "retreads" to come back to our roots in CL. 

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:07:29 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 11:42:12 PM »
Thank you Rudy.

I think that everyone who says that they CANNOT FLY an ARF in competition then should say that they CAN but choose not to.  Since that is the actual truth of the matter.  It is highly amusing, IMHO, that someone should say they cannot when there is no rule outside of the JSO classes at the NATS which FORBIDS them.  Semantics, I guess......

AS to competing, I can't compete when I GET 15-17 AP and I got as much as 18 at Flushing once but STILL finished 3rd in Advanced with a brand new plane on it's 2nd and 3rd flights).  Should have won, I had the top two guys beaten by at least 3 AP each.

Either way, it confuses some people who are new and think that because they only have an ARF that they cannot fly it in a contest.  Not so.........

Things will change I believe, before too long.  AP will be dropped n more and more areas as pressure increases and numbers decrease.  Whether or not that fact alone (dropping AP) will actually make a difference is anyone's guess.  Economics is the greater factor I think, whether people can AFFORD to go to contests might be lessened..  I would actually like to see the ratio of LOCAL contests which still have AP versus those that do not.

Help me out with the Math.... How much, percentage wise, are AP worth in a perfect score?  Add 20 AP just to make everything "perfect".  I believe it is about 3% if you have 20 AP.  I know that doesn't apply apples to apples, just a wonder about how much of this the BOM/AP stuff is actually worth in a score.  I believe we get scored on 15 maneuvers now, no pattern points.  And I know that dropped the "starting points quite a few years ago.  So I am guessing a "perfect score" is now 600 points?  (Heck I really don't know or need to care, I fly and get what I get, and I judge and give what I give, never have added it all up, never needed to! LOL!!)  Plus, the judges might not like a red plane with  white and yellow trimmed in black scallops all over it....... or I don't wear the right "white pants"...... or............

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online RC Storick

• Forum owner
  • Administrator
  • Admiral
  • The finish starts with the first piece of wood cut
    • Stunt Hangar
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 12:11:06 AM »
Take away starting points. Take away pattern points.Take away appearance points. Take away flight scores next and we will be just like little league. Show up and you win! Get real! Stop taking away things and add some points by building a model. Easy.
AMA 12366

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
""I believe we get scored on 15 maneuvers now, no pattern points. ""

HI Bill

AS of Jan 1  pattern points are 25 points and are back in the scoring

Randy

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 09:21:02 PM »
""I believe we get scored on 15 maneuvers now, no pattern points. ""

HI Bill

AS of Jan 1  pattern points are 25 points and are back in the scoring

Randy

Thanks, Randy. ;D 

I knew that, I am just all discombobulated with what's going on here at the homestead....... ;D  I gotta get Gail well SOON! LOL!!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
Hi Robert,

RE: your post:

"Take away starting points. Take away pattern points.Take away appearance points. Take away flight scores next and we will be just like little league. Show up and you win! Get real! Stop taking away things and add some points by building a model. Easy." Robert Storick

I don't blame you for being frustrated by these changes, and proposed changes. If I was a master builder like you, and if I had devoted as much time and energy to building a beautiful CLPA plane as you have, then I too would be frustrated by any move to take away the APs.

The good news, as Randy pointed out, you just got 25 pattern points back!  :)

I would LOVE to have starting points make a come back! Robert, I will be the 1st in line to support your rule change to bring this back! I fly with electric power and have never taken more than 3 seconds to get started. ;)

Your point about taking AP away from Master Builders like yourself is a very good one. I don't know of anyone who likes doing this. Removing the AP is really just collateral damage. The goal is only to LOWER the very high hurtles of "entry/reentry" into CLPA to make it a more INCLUSIVE activity, and to incorporate modern technologies. All this with the hope of retaining those pilots that are now flying CLPA (full time CLPA pilots, "Retreads", part time CLPA, etc.) and hopefully making it possible to attract a few more retreads who would like to come back to CL in place of, or in addition to their dark arts practices.

Taking away the AP is the only way to accomplish the task of moving into the future, and RETAINING CLPA participants. At our normal loss rate we do need to have something to attract a few more people to slow the natural demise of our hobby. This will NEVER bring in a large # of new flyer's, but it does have a very good chance of retaining retreads and some of those retreads that also fly the dark arts where these modern technologies are common and popular. It also may help us attract the few replacements that we need each year.

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT THAT WE TRY AND SEPARATE THE CLASSES RE: THE BOM/AP ISSUE

Robert, I have always tried to push the idea that we try and respect the traditions of the AMA Nat's and NOT try and change the BOM/AP rules for the Nat's. This event has always been, and still is, a very serious contest for the best CLPA contestants in the Nation. These top CLPA pilots/builders are usually the most dedicated among us. The amount of time, money, and talent required at this level is VERY high. You and the others in this group are very different from most of the CLPA pilots in the nation. For those of you who have the high level of dedication, focus, and devotion to CLPA we should all help you retain the BOM/APs at the Nat's. ......... AND in the EXPERT class of PAMPA style events in the areas that still want to use BOM/APs.

The top members of any competitive group is very dedicated and is willing to devote as much time, energy, and resources as needed to strive to be the VERY best. The reason that most competitive activities have different classes is not just to allow people of similar skill levels to compete with each other, but more importantly it allows those with a similar amount of DEDICATION to compete together. We all know that not everyone is equally committed to an activity. But we ALL want to participate and enjoy the competition. Having different classes allows us all to be competitive within a group of like minded people who share our skill level and our level of DEDICATION to the event.

To ask, expect, or DEMAND that ALL the people in any activity be required to have the EXACT same DEDICATION level to that activity as the very TOP competitors have is unrealistic. And it is often self defeating to the long run interests of the whole group.

HAVING THE NAT's AND THE EXPERT CLASS USE THE BOM/AP MAKES SENSE.

This is the top group of very DEDICATED, and skilled flyer's/builders. To join this top group of dedicated competitors it is reasonable to ask/demand that they be complete modelers requiring high level flying skills (usually MANY Practice flights per year, a lot of time) "AND" all the building skills, equipment, space, TIME, required to build a pretty CLPA model. Setting up a HIGH hurdle to clear to join this dedicated Top group is reasonable and actually adds to the overall attraction of the entire hobby.

HAVING THE BOM/AP IN INTERMEDIATE AND ADVANCED IS NOT NESSESARY, AND IT HURTS CLPA

There is no need to have the BOM/AP rules in the Int. and Adv. classes. It just sets up an unnecessary high hurtle to participate. Doing a "good" pattern in Int. is the goal, mastering the finer points of the pattern is the goal in Adv. This is a big enough hurdle for most competitors. And takes up all the time and energy they have to devote to CLPA. If their dedication and willingness to devote more TIME and energy to their hobby exceeds these two classes then they can clear the higher hurdle required to join the Top class of EXPERTS who are the very dedicated group of like minded people who are willing to devote the time, energy, etc. to build their own model and practice enough to be able to fly at the very highest level.

Our sister model aerobatic events, pattern and IMAC, make the move up from class to class more difficult by making the pattern increasingly difficult as you move up. In CLPA we all fly the same pattern, so making the jump from beginner to the next class requires a huge jump in effort, skill, time, etc. by requiring both the full pattern AND building a plane. There is no logical reason to make this EXPERT level requirement pertain to any other class but EXPERT (and of course the Nat's).   

Again, I understand why this controversy is upsetting to those of you in the very top dedicated group of builder/flyer's in CLPA. But like Bob Hunt wisely said, "we have to do something about this issue or CLPA will soon become a very small group of 10". I think we all would like to avoid that. I hope we can find a compromise that helps us slow the natural demise of our small hobby and delay it's extinction as long as we can. I think the above is a way to accomplish this goal while still preserving the traditions of CLPA.

Regards,  H^^
« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:16:16 PM by Rudy Taube »
Rudy
AMA 1667

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
Overall, there are MORE people flying C/L now than there was 10 years ago, and more CLPA contestants.  Maybe not PAMPA members, but people who are actually flying and attending contests across the country.

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 07:27:28 PM »
Overall, there are MORE people flying C/L now than there was 10 years ago, and more CLPA contestants.  Maybe not PAMPA members, but people who are actually flying and attending contests across the country.

Big Bear

Big Bear...I'm not real sure I would agree with that on a local basis. We gain some and lose some, but the ecomedy (sic) has been a major factor. So, some folks show up at two contests a year, instead of all of them, or maybe only one. We even have a few who can't manage to renew their passports...not sure why, but it's not real cheap, and you gotta bring pictures of yourself, and then there's the cost of camera repair$... LL~ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 09:40:38 PM »
Big Bear...I'm not real sure I would agree with that on a local basis. We gain some and lose some, but the ecomedy (sic) has been a major factor. So, some folks show up at two contests a year, instead of all of them, or maybe only one. We even have a few who can't manage to renew their passports...not sure why, but it's not real cheap, and you gotta bring pictures of yourself, and then there's the cost of camera repair$... LL~ Steve

Hi Steve,

Maybe not the best explanation on my part.  It's just that there are more people competing, even on a "part time" basis, and more just doing "sport flying", so to speak.  There has been a rise in the C/L numbers as far as "that" section goes.  Not like the hey day of th e'50s-'60s, but a LOT better than the, say, '80s!  And other than those that are passing on to the big field in the heavens, those that start, or comeback to, C/L tend to keep at it longer than the "average R/C guy".  Of course there are MORE people flying R/C, in all its "types", but so many just come and go, some after a very brief period.  And a lot of those never come back, they just move on to the next "hobby du jour".

Thanks,
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 07:00:06 PM »
I have another request for all those who have said this in the past. PLEASE stop saying: "..... just practice a little more and you can make up those 15 points ...." or something similar to this. ...... I know you think you are helping, and I know you don't mean it to be insulting, but it is. We have all practiced as hard as our schedules and other obligations have allowed us to practice. We have all devoted as much time, money, and effort as we can, under our individual circumstances, to this activity.

I take it that you think stunt should be a Special Olympics, where neither practice nor any other pursuit of excellence should be rewarded. 

Thank you for actually compiling data.  How about posting the list of contests you used?

Quote from: Rudy Taube
I have more details in my SS

What's an SS?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
(snip)
What's an SS?

For Chebbies, it was the "Super Sport" option...... bucket seats, Super Sport badges......  Always wanted a SS '66 Chevelle.

(man I KNOW this will get me in trouble with someone!)

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2011, 09:44:57 PM »
Sigh, no matter how you cut it, one is measure of airplane and pilot performance, the other a beauty contest. Bom and appearance points applied to a performance based contest is like  deciding the winning team of super bowl game seperated by a field goal to the team with the more stylish uniforms.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here