News:

• April 30, 2024, 06:23:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ARC QUALITY  (Read 2321 times)

Offline Richard Koehler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
ARC QUALITY
« on: January 09, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »
Yesterday I received a replacement for the Smoothie ARC I bought myself for Xmas.  The plane I returned had cuts completely Thur the balsa leading edge of the left wing.  Turns out I should have kept it, the replacement has a broken back wingtip that is going to be impossible to fix.  Is anyone else having this kind of trouble with Brodak Arc's? R%%%%

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Re: ARC QUALITY
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 01:53:35 PM »
Well yes and no. Mine were damaged in transit by the shipper. Two of the kits were totaled and I'm not sure there was any packing that could of prevented it. Either something really heavy like a fork lift was dropped on them or a truck drove over the box a couple of times. Brodak replaced them and collected from the carrier.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:30:32 AM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2010, 02:36:52 PM »
Yesterday I received a replacement for the Smoothie ARC I bought myself for Xmas.  The plane I returned had cuts completely Thur the balsa leading edge of the left wing.  Turns out I should have kept it, the replacement has a broken back wingtip that is going to be impossible to fix.  Is anyone else having this kind of trouble with Brodak Arc's? R%%%%
Ouch.

You need to do what you need to do, but I suggest that you try again, and ask if it's possible to have _them_ check for damage before they ship.

Where does Brodak have their ARCs & ARFs made?  Chances are they're contracting the work overseas; they may never look at a plane before they send it on to you.  If they're awake, chances are that they'll be looking now.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Rudy Taube

• Ret Flyboy
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2010, 11:18:48 PM »
Hi Richard,

I'm sorry to hear about your shipping ARC troubles. I think you have just had a run of bad luck.

I have had 4 CL ARFs and 3 CL ARCs sent to me in the past few years and there is not a scratch on any of them. I inspect them closely inside and out when I open each box and have not found any problems. I do make all the appropriate changes that are needed to control systems etc. but never had any damage.

I have had the same experience with the 7 RC ARFs I have received in the past two years, no damage.

I hope your scratch and dent experiences are behind you. :-)

Regards,  H^^
Rudy
AMA 1667

Alan Hahn

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 09:39:47 AM »
Yesterday I received a replacement for the Smoothie ARC I bought myself for Xmas.  The plane I returned had cuts completely Thur the balsa leading edge of the left wing.  Turns out I should have kept it, the replacement has a broken back wingtip that is going to be impossible to fix.  Is anyone else having this kind of trouble with Brodak Arc's? R%%%%

Richard,
I too have had no issues like yours with my Super CLown, P40, Vector, BabyClown, BiSlob ARF's, or my Nobler Arf.

Now that isn't to say they were perfect, but all were relatively easy fixes.

So I can't say whether I was really lucky, or you have been really unlucky.

I think ARF's in this price range (less than $130 or so) fit a particular niche in the hobby. They are great if you want to try something out, but are not sure whether you really want to spend all the time building one from a kit. However due to the low cost (not much more than the kit), they often, because of the assembly line method of building, come with some issues.

On the other hand, there are "premium" ARF's--in the ~>$200 range (and I apologize if I am unintentionally insulting anyone. The ranges are pretty approximate  and not hard quality points!) where a lot of care has been put into the engineering and design of the kit. Here I think you have a better chance of finding something similar to what you would have if you built your own kit.

Just my opinions.

edited to fix a homophone problem!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 09:44:28 AM by Alan Hahn »

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
Man that is tough - What you have going for you is that Brodak has a very strong reputation for standing behind their products.  That is no excuse for the 0-2 string you are on, but at least you have a chance for them making it right.

I strongly suggest calling them, explaining what happened - TWICE - and ask them to inspect a new a ARC before sending it to you...

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »
I have had UPS destroy a couple of Brodak ARF's for me and each time Brodak replaced them, no questions asked, except allow UPS to pick them up for return.  y1 y1 Ron.

Offline Russ Danneman

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 10:28:51 AM »
my p40 was delivered  by fed ex. and fortunately was not damaged.
FLY LOW FLY FAST  RISKY BUSINESS

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »
On the other hand, there are "premium" ARF's--in the ~>$200 range (and I apologize if I am unintentionally insulting anyone. The ranges are pretty approximate  and not hard quality points!) where a lot of care has been put into the engineering and design of the kit. Here I think you have a better chance of finding something similar to what you would have if you built your own kit.
In an ideal world (from an engineer's perspective, at least), the higher the projected production quantities of the plane, the more you can spread out the engineering cost, and therefore the more $$ you have for the engineering.

But I suspect that much of that care goes into making sure that the impoverished and (probably) illiterate folks building the kits don't make any major mistakes, and making sure that once Joe Sixpack gets it in his hands he can put it together and fly it successfully (see Hanger 9).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:53:37 AM »
In an ideal world (from an engineer's perspective, at least), the higher the projected production quantities of the plane, the more you can spread out the engineering cost, and therefore the more $$ you have for the engineering.

But I suspect that much of that care goes into making sure that the impoverished and (probably) illiterate folks building the kits don't make any major mistakes, and making sure that once Joe Sixpack gets it in his hands he can put it together and fly it successfully (see Hanger 9).

I actually think that is the job of production engineering today (unfortunately everywhere), make the assembly process idiot proof.  n~

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2010, 12:48:41 PM »
I doubt production engineering exists in China or wherever this junk is built. It would be nice if the production engineer had control line experience or how else would he know what to look for. Even Brad said he had to make special 3D drawings for them to understand that he wanted the wing leading edge to be round. Yeah as Tim said, "in an ideal world". What I see is they are probably more concerned about getting it done than they are about getting it right, and then I'm not even sure that they know what is right. Most of the RC stuff is way better than the stunt ships I've seen. I think Brads effort is the first decent ship. IMHO
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:37:32 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Alan Hahn

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Well what I was getting at is basically what you just said. The "production engineering/design" needs to be done over here with no assumptions about what you might get back.

I also think you need a good QC because my guess is that you can't expect the next run to be the same as the previous run. It might be better than that, so someone like Brad, or Steve (or was it Doug) Moon would have better insights than I.

In other words my guess is that ARF/ARC production isn't set and forget!

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2010, 07:42:41 AM »
Quality control is, unfortunately, in the hands of the manufacturers.  The steel, balsa, glue, they use is up to them.

There is no doubt our supplier at Brodaks is doing a good job, and they have some darn good engineers on their side too.  The T-Rex was definitely a collaborative effort.  I marveled at some of their solutions to my requests.  Have you looked at the cowl???  I did not do that.  I hated the fiberglass version, and told them to make it from wood.  This is what they sent.  Amazing!!!

I think that many people take for granted how fast the CL stunt designers and manufacturers got up to speed when it came to ARF production.  Remember, these guys knew NOTHING about the 50 years of building and designing we had been doing before we dropped it in their laps.  We have literally gone from 0 to 120 MPH in a matter of a few years.

I do occasionally get calls and emails on anomalies in the kits.  There are lot of product going out the door though, I think the ratio is small.

Also, keep in mind that John could sell his ARF FOR TWICE WHAT PEOPLE ARE CURRENTLY PAYING!!!  Compared to the cottage industry of years past, we are killing them on price.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ron Merrill

• 2013 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2010, 09:48:43 AM »
I have a question, why if the RC ARF/ARC are so good, didn't Brodak ( maybe he did) use the company's who had experience building these types of kits? Would that not have made the process easier? Just asking, not trying to be a smart a__.  H^^ Ron.

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
I have a question, why if the RC ARF/ARC are so good, didn't Brodak ( maybe he did) use the company's who had experience building these types of kits? Would that not have made the process easier? Just asking, not trying to be a smart a__.  H^^ Ron.

Like who?  Who was experienced in building top notch CL stunt ARF's before the Brodak offerings?  Top Flite?

We ARE using a major manufacturer....  but there is not enough volume in CL stunt to get some of the manufacturers interested.  They do our stuff as "fills" between big RC orders.

Horizon can use there manufacturer because they have a huge volume in RC.  I talked to Pete Bergstrom from Horizon about calibrating in Toledo, I even gave him plans, but he stopped communicating with me for some reason.  I am curious to see there competitive offering.
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2010, 09:07:28 AM »
Like who?  Who was experienced in building top notch CL stunt ARF's before the Brodak offerings?  Top Flite?

We ARE using a major manufacturer....  but there is not enough volume in CL stunt to get some of the manufacturers interested.  They do our stuff as "fills" between big RC orders.

Horizon can use there manufacturer because they have a huge volume in RC.  I talked to Pete Bergstrom from Horizon about calibrating in Toledo, I even gave him plans, but he stopped communicating with me for some reason.  I am curious to see there competitive offering.

Brad has more real world experience on this than the rest of us, but I thought I'd add something anyway..!

My conversations with Pete regarding the H9 PT-19 echo what Brad is saying.  Pete told me that he had the hardest time getting the kit maker to do seemingly simple things like crimping the ferrules on cables - leadout or lines!  Generally speaking the wood work and covering (i.e. processes shared with the RC ARF's) are usually fine, the CL control systems have been tough.

About prices: you can get a Oriental kit for $99, an ARC for $105 and a ARF for $110.  Other product lines priced with similar increments.  Can you afford $6 to build the airframe, or $11 to build and cover it?  The T-Rex is state of the art and the most expensive one in the product line at $200 - if you can beat that go for it!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Bradley Walker

• Admiral
    • The Urban Rifleman
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2010, 09:35:43 AM »
the CL control systems have been tough.

Why the T-Rex takes all comers in terms of this one thing...  it has the best bellcrank mounting system out there.  I put all of my best work into that mount.

No way I was going to have one of my bellcranks pull out at a contest.

Of course, I do not make the steel in the wire, the ball links, etc.
-George Bernard Shaw

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 09:47:43 AM »
As with anything new it takes time to get all the bugs out and convince people it is worth it.  Just think of how many people had to give up modeling because they had no where to build or even the tools to do it with.  I am waiting on the 40 size T-Rex. #^ #^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here