News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:18:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another use for ARF/ARC's  (Read 2066 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another use for ARF/ARC's
« on: July 23, 2011, 07:23:20 PM »
Not being one for building something to look like something someone else did.... I really like to bash kits.  But still credit belongs where its due and I try to retain the identity or give credit where its due. But there are time of inspiration.... some would say times of insanitation... where I want to see something new and different would work. I don't want to commit to a full build and I usually like to have a reference for how my new idea works compared to the original or normal way of doing something. Still, the idea may not be sufficiently inspiring to motivate me to build an entire model. Here the ARF or ARC in a box can be a real nice way to meet my needs.

Example is an idea I have been working on for ways of eliminating twist in profile tails of model airplanes. Its an issue in both RC and Control line and I have been evolving solutions, using ideas found to work in other genre, and am gradually progressing towards my final solution. This week I began work on an all carbon fiber fuselage profile stunter to investigate large diameter thin wall tubing in this process. It is being documented in the electric forum in the C-14 thread. I had onhand a Brodak P-40 ARC that was unbuilt. I have had this bird before and its an outstanding flyer and scores well in profile stunt contests. I had built and covered the fuselage for an electric powered version. My orginal version resides with one of my flying partners Rick Sawicki who was going to give it to his son.... til he flew it and decided he'd keep it for himself. So I know the plane well. We have the original now in electric format which Rick has competed successfully with, and a known stock fuse for weight and moment comparisons.

I also wanted to look at building to a different set of moments. I also fly a Brodak T-Rex in electric form and like its performance very much. At Dennis Adamisin's suggestion I used the moments of the T-Rex for this test plane. So I will be able to look at a comparison in construction methods and theh different moments on a smaller but very effective wing. I already know the power parameters required by the wing so it should be a fruitful experiment without all the work of having to build a wing, and a tail. All those components including the control system (with a carbon fiber pushrod and ball link that I normally use on the tail setup) are coming out of the P-40 kit. They are built. Total construction time including sanding to the point of spot filling was about 5 hours. Another hour and it will be ready for covering. That's a very quick build. It will let me evaluate several ideas quickly and easily with a number of known factors to compare to. Just another handy way to utilize an ARF/ARC. btw, the plane will be all film covered. No wood covering on the fuse at all.

bob branch

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
Re: Another use for ARF/ARC's
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:44 PM »
Bob

I like the way you think.  And better yet, I like the way you work !  y1
AMA 33676

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 05:12:31 PM »
Thank you Dan, H^^

I just seem to like to maximize my flying and minimize obsessive building any more. I used to do that and certainly do not short those who like to do it. Its part of the enjoyment of the hobby. I would not like to see any of it go away, whether its the scale RC guy trying to match weaves of fabric on an old biplane or someone trying to build to the level of the 3rd row at the NATS (cause I think the third row and the others rows are just as impressive as the front row.... I cannot build and finish to that level. I've flown with guys in the third row for years and their models are stunning stuff. ) I just think there should be a place for all of it. Its the variety that makes the hobby so cool to me. So if bashing an arf lets me do what I find interesting which is trying creative new ideas out then I' m happy there. I just flew a new RC pattern biplane today. Its an Italian ARF. Incredibly creative design. And by far the very best flying RC plane I have ever flown.... and I usually fly 3D stuff so that's a stretch from my normal stuff. But could I build to match it? It would take me forever. vs what "I" consider fun building an arf. I know a BOM pro person would not find building one fun, but I do. Its how much work I want to do. I would rather fly these days. There is just lots of ways to enjoy this hobby. The moments were Dennis Adamisin's idea. He said if I liked the way the T-Rex handles so much I should duplicate the moments on this plane and would have something that should feel pretty close. So, I'll find out. Be interesting to see how it differs from the shorter stock fuse to me. Its first contest is in two weeks so I have to get crackin. Time to go turn the iron on and finish covering it tonight. Pics will be in the thread in the electric forum as I finish it up as well as the flight report when it gets airborne.

bob branch

Offline Peter Nevai

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
    • C3EL
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:59:45 PM »
I thought this was another use for an ARF.
Words Spoken by the first human to set foot on Mars... "Now What?"

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 05:19:45 PM »
Bob

I will surely stay tuned.  And I might even get to see it fly  ;)
AMA 33676

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
Some pics. Name and numbers not on yet. Electronics not mounted. Details in the electric forum thread.

bob branch

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 06:27:12 PM »
That looks great and I hope it flies as well as it looks.    H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 07:34:11 AM »
Static test data and first flight test results posted on the electric forum thread. It was a major success.

bob branch

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
Just thought I'd add another point. It makes it easy to test new ideas on the run. Tonight I installed a set of vortex Generators like P J Roland described in the open forum onto the C-14. I had run out of carbon fiber sheet and did not feel like laminating any so I looked for a material in the shop of similar thickness that would work. Credit card stock is just about the same thickness, easy to work with scissors and blade and sandpaper. Half an hour had them all installed. I'll evaluate them in a practice session on Friday. If they are a positive change, great, if not, not a lot of time invested and not a major calamity to a time intensive finish to remove. I just would not want to try the idea on a fully painted plane with a 6 month finish on it. On the other hand, this is one of my contest planes now and my second best flying plane. The moment experiment worked out also. It handles just like the T-Rex. Same corner, same flying qualities everywhere else just in a smaller and profile package.

bob branch

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here