News:

• May 27, 2024, 08:57:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SV-11 Parts  (Read 2013 times)

Offline Ed Prohaska

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
SV-11 Parts
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »
An ARF SV-11 just arrives today and I'm posting some photos of the parts with a few comments.

#06: The stab and elevators look nearly flawless, no warps and very light (qualitative "feel of it"; I didn't actually weigh anything). At least on this example all the major components felt lighter relative to the Score, Nobler or even T-Rex.

#09, 11, 12, 14: The fuselage presents a very "clean" appearance. It looks like the suggested mods in the tutorial on Brodak's web site (for beefing the belly pan and wing/fuse joint) have already been incorporated into the production kits. The top sheeting appears continuous past the TE rather than spliced over a former as on the T-REX. That should help strengthen this area. However, fuselage wood feels soft, almost too light, and looks much thinner than 1/8 inch. I like the fiberglass cowl and the way its attached, but it does spread outward between the bolts. Another set of hard points and bolts can be added to correct this.

#019: The fin/rudder are a very light 1-piece unit, warp free and neatly covered. It looks like there is a very small airfoil or offset bias as you move toward the trailing edge of the rudder.

#21, 23: Trailing edges of the flaps & wing are the straightest of any ARF I've inspected so far.

#031: Bell crank and lead outs are similar to the T-Rex, but the mount design and execution look better.

#031: I like the overall appearance of the wing & flap assembly. Both flaps are straight with good torsional resistance. I didn't view everything with a magnifier, but I saw nearly zero obvious flaws such as dents, wrinkles in the covering or poorly sanded framework. The trim is almost flawlessly applied and is the same on the top and bottom of the wing & stab. Overnight storage in a garage with the temperature near 100 F and very high humidity, resulted in zero wrinkling or sagging of the covering!

#032: Hardware package is complete and the quality looks a little better compared to some other ARFs.

#037: I still see a problem with the control horn braze between the wire and upright. As with horns from many other ARF's I've inspected, there is a tiny "snot" of braze on the front, but it doesn't flow around to the rear. Its that way on both sides of the upright and on both the flap and elevator horns. I always point this out to my customers (guys in the local club). I tell them I would not use this horn because it would not give me a "warn and fuzzy feeling" when banging a hard corner with a Castor belching sixty. Club members flying the large ARFs (Strega and T-REX) have re-brazed or replaced the stock horns, so I really don't know if these will hold up in actual service. I just wouldn't feel comfortable using them without a better braze.

The SV-11 kit I took photos of has already been sold. The buyer is an "ARF Expert" who puts these together quickly and does a good job. It could be airborne before Labor Day and I might get some stick time on it. Power will likely be a Tom Lay tuned ST sixty. I may post more photos and text when its done and flying.

I also ordered an ARF Legacy and planned to photograph the parts of that kit, but when I opened the box another SV-11 was inside. I guess the factory mistakenly put a Legacy lid on an SV-11 kit. Hopefully, it only happened once! Regards, EWP   

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: SV-11 Parts
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Thanks for the pics.  The leadout connection at the bellcrank is the first thing that would go.   I agree about the horns.  I would be heading for the sons shop to get them corrected.  Otherwise it looks like a good ARF.   But, I don't fly big 60 size planes.   Oh I love your shop.  Makes me feel like mine is neat and clean.   LL~ LL~  See ya down the road. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:37 AM »
Thanks for posting.  H^^  Just wondering if this is the red one or the white one?  and also, Did the flap & elevator hinges come installed?  that would save some time if it did.

Offline Noel Corney

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:56:16 PM »
Yeah, I replaced the leadouts on mine, first job,one of the crimps was split, all were overly crimped. When I removed the crimps the cable was damaged,This was what lost my Vector for me.Otherwise the SV11 is so much better than others I have seen. Congratulations Brodak. Noel.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:30:03 PM »
Hi Ed

Thanks for the pictures I have gone thru 9 of them here and have found mostly the exact same as you.
The SV-11  is the RED one shown  above. They are all White with the color trim being differant.

The one posted here is the Blue one

Thanks for posting the pics

Randy

Offline Larry Fulwider

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:34:19 PM »
An ARF SV-11 just arrives today and I'm posting some photos of the parts with a few comments.  . . .

. . .

#037: I still see a problem with the control horn braze between the wire and upright. As with horns from many other ARF's I've inspected, there is a tiny "snot" of braze on the front, but it doesn't flow around to the rear. Its that way on both sides of the upright and on both the flap and elevator horns.  . . .

. . .

My Vector 40 had the same issue. A quick e-mail to Brodak and replacement horns arrived in two days -- with full brazing.

Larry Fulwider

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »
Thanks for posting.  H^^  Just wondering if this is the red one or the white one?  and also, Did the flap & elevator hinges come installed?  that would save some time if it did.

The flap and elevators have the slots cut for the contersinking of the hinge barrrles and the wing elevators and flaps are cut for the hinges to slide in, so most of the work is done

Randy

Offline Joe Yau

• AMA Member
  • Captain
    • My CLPA Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 01:25:24 PM »
The flap and elevators have the slots cut for the contersinking of the hinge barrrles and the wing elevators and flaps are cut for the hinges to slide in, so most of the work is done

Randy

Thanks Randy. thats great..   :) just that the TF Score was a PITA to get the Dubro hinges in. and most of the precut slits were off center (either was too high or too low).

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here