News:

• March 28, 2024, 05:03:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: .60 size brodak leadout question  (Read 1766 times)

Offline bob branch

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
.60 size brodak leadout question
« on: November 02, 2018, 07:48:15 AM »
I am for info based on EXPERIENCE, not theory, of the leadouts on the 2 piece winged Brodak .60 planes. I built a number of them when they first came out with one piece wings (except T Rex which always had 2 piece wing). I am doing another Strega  and noted the leadout securing method has changed back to moe traditional Brodak method. Does anyone know of a leadout failure on one of the 2 piece winged planes, arf, or arc. Since I am ready to start on the wings its important I get an answer asap. I know by theory, and by my own practice I would normally redo these attachments to wrapped security. But I don't want to do work for no purupose.

Also, can someone tell me when the 2 piece wing started to be produced on these planes. btw, this airframe appears to have better workmanship than the earlier ones.

Thanks, returning to cl I hope,  bob branch

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
Re: .60 size brodak leadout question
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:25:40 PM »
Bob
i used the strega wing for my 60 sized Sakitumi 60+ I built this year.
I re-did the lead outs from what was in teh 2-piece wing to the copper tubing method
thru the bellcrank with the wire going thru the tubing.

I did not like the wire that was originally in the wing and the crimping method that was used.

Carl

hope that made sense
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline John Paris

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 03:48:26 AM »
Bob,
Good to hear that you are working with some airplanes again.  I have not heard of a failure with the 2 piece wing version of the Brodak ARFs and the construction looks robust enougb.  I did redo the two I have built just because I did not like the almost 90 degree bends at the bellcrank.  I think the 2 piece wings have been around for at least 8 years.

Hope to see you in the circles next year.

Regards,
John
John Paris

Offline Shug Emery

• 2018 Supporter
  • Admiral
  • Whoooo Buddy))))
    • Sean Emery funny guy juggling and stuff
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:34:14 AM »
I have been flying my Brodak Strega ARF quite a lot and did not alter my leadouts. Still going strong. Got the Strega in 2015.
Shug

Whoooooo Buddy)))))))

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2018, 05:28:44 PM »
With the TWO PIECE WING type ,

making a STRONG wire U or V , with Us orVs on the ends , :P

You can suport the belcrank pivot , or maybe better just the LEADOUT ( One at a time )
and pull the living snot out of Just Them . To see if theyre seaworthy & shipshape BEFORE
you do anything silly . Like joining the wing halves .

Id put new ones in the AFC Strega , mainly as they wernt as weighty or draggy , and ended up doing all the controls .

But the 3 mm plated wire horns supplied were accetable & being short , light & ridgid .
As I was typing the above , i went . . . oops . You wouldnt want to suspend your weight on the widdle paxilon bellcrank .
Hence the comment .
Tho if I recall , Ive suspended my 10 or 11 stone , on I think ONE 18 thou Laystrate lead out . The planes unlikely to pull that much .

Just Testing . Might try it on the strega Ones , back home .  VD~ from the rafters .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2018, 07:50:14 PM »
RIGHt , well then .

Chucked one ofthe 4 mm undercarage legs thru the loop , as shown , No 1 .

Wrapped four times round the lintel , played tarzan .
Estimate 100 Lbs ish ' fail ' of mid grade ? wire .WhyIsaythatis sounded progressive - 1 or 2 first ping zang , not all nicen even .

Anyway , Awkward grip between 2nd & 3rd fingers ( and the 1st & 4th ) about the 4th attempt attepted full weight with practised grip .

LAST shot is POST EVENT , appears no deformation or dislocation from Original , in the ' End Detail .

So appears the assembly is adequate , though ya needta clamp up the nuts adjacent the bellcrank to loose the rock , as supplied /

Asivesaid , I replaced it all with ' in shop ' custom self made tripe , with Ditto spar joiners & Ply Bolt posn. reinforcers .

So this was all in the left overs box , unused .
I did so bellcrank was uninvolved in the destructive tendancies, so unstrained .

Cant really see the plane pulling 200Lb in mid air ,  and if ONE line breaks
they generally loose centrifugal force going round in tight loops , so under 100Lb their . Likely 50Lbs as high as itd go ,
Yet to fly mine , will letya know if I end up in the next field downwind .

H^^
« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 08:46:11 PM by Matt Spencer »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here