Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ST 60  (Read 3286 times)

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
ST 60
« on: May 17, 2011, 12:26:24 AM »
Randy , one of the ST60's that I have in my stash was bought in a disassmebled state. I think the back cover is not the correct one for this engine as it does not have the flat area to provide clearance for the rear of the piston skirt at BDC (all my other ST60's have this flat area). Any problem with me just milling the skirt of the piston for this clearace? Not sure what the rear cover came off of but it seems to be correct except for the flat area missing.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
Re: ST 60
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:07:34 AM »
Randy , one of the ST60's that I have in my stash was bought in a disassmebled state. I think the back cover is not the correct one for this engine as it does not have the flat area to provide clearance for the rear of the piston skirt at BDC (all my other ST60's have this flat area). Any problem with me just milling the skirt of the piston for this clearace? Not sure what the rear cover came off of but it seems to be correct except for the flat area missing.

HI Gordon
You can do that but need to be very careful that there is enough material, You may have one for an older 51 and some of those do not have enough al  to mill a flat, Also some had different depths that plugged in, so you need to check that too

Randy

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
Any problem with me just milling the skirt of the piston for this clearace?

It might depend on how far round the piston this milling comes. If it comes far enough it might introduce some sub piston induction. Or your engine may already have this?
One thing you can do is make a ledge of technoweld or lumuweld (or aluminium weld!) inside the backplate at the top. This will give you enough metal to machine the flat on the backplate.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 04:37:52 PM »
Don't mill the skirt. It's unlikely that there is enough material to avoid uncovering the bottom of the exhaust port at TDC. Mod the backplate.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:15 PM »
Don't mill the skirt. It's unlikely that there is enough material to avoid uncovering the bottom of the exhaust port at TDC. Mod the backplate.

that would be exactly what I would do,its better to just find the correct backplate. or if there is enough material cut the clearence in the backplate.
You can take some material off of the piston, I have done that before, but you need to , as I said, be very careful

Randy

Offline Gordon Tarbell

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 07:18:21 AM »
Found another ST60 in the stash. Early model with no ears and two rings, tall head. The piston is cut front and back and will clear the back cover. I swaped rear covers and everthing clears but I still need to check total clearance from back of rod/crank pin to inner face of rear cover. Now here is something else I have noticed I was checking my Bristunt P/L sets for these ST60 engines , both P/L sets have the bottom of the pistons notched front and rear like the two ring piston. Have not assembled the Bristunts into case yet to check to see if there is any sub piston induction going on. Will put one in this early case , measure and check every thing and run it. Been wanting to try one of these Bristunts for awhile. If it runs good I will try to Tig on some muffler ears to the case. I will practice on a busted up 46 case I have to get the process proved. Don't won't to ruin a ST 60 case.
Gordon Tarbell AMA 15019

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here