News:

• April 25, 2024, 01:06:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: PA 40 UltraLite  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Allan Perret

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Proverbs
PA 40 UltraLite
« on: April 09, 2009, 05:01:31 PM »
Randy:
What is the upper limit of plane size (competitive pattern ship) that you would recommend for your PA 40 UL ?
Wing span and area wise..
What is total weight of engine, pipe & header package ?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline David Shad

• Commander
Re: PA 40 UltraLite
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 11:56:02 AM »
As long as we are discussing the .40.....I have come into a new PA .40 Ultralite also and would like a couple of recomendations on the best fuel for here in middle Ga. and  two and three blade prop sizes for my Vector that should be ready for Tom Dixon's meet next month.  This little motor is a work of art  and I would like to treat
it right.  The Plane looks like it will weigh pretty close to 42ozs. with this motor...it has the header/muffler.

Thanks in advance Randy.
Big Dave AMA 80235

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »
Randy:
What is the upper limit of plane size (competitive pattern ship) that you would recommend for your PA 40 UL ?
Wing span and area wise..
What is total weight of engine, pipe & header package ?

HI Allan

The motor would pull an Impact as well as  any OS VF does, it will turn the exact same prop faster in a 4 cycle, however the almost 4 ounce differance in weight might upset the balance of a plane that large
People are already using the engine in 700 plus  sq in ships, USA-1  and  Super Ares are pulled easy by it.
I however would use it in a 510 to 640 size airplane. It work very well in most all Classic ships.  Do you have a specific plane in mind?

Randy

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 12:52:01 PM »
As long as we are discussing the .40.....I have come into a new PA .40 Ultralite also and would like a couple of recomendations on the best fuel for here in middle Ga. and  two and three blade prop sizes for my Vector that should be ready for Tom Dixon's meet next month.  This little motor is a work of art  and I would like to treat
it right.  The Plane looks like it will weigh pretty close to 42ozs. with this motor...it has the header/muffler.

Thanks in advance Randy.

HI David

Did you get the instruction sheet with the engine? If not let me know and I will send you one, You may want to read my fuel article in the top of the engine column. Most people are using 20 to 22% oil fuel , 50-50  or  75% synthetic
as far as Nitro goes  base is  5% cold months going to 10% in the summer, just use what you need to keep the run the same, at higher elevations  or  high  heat  people go to 15% with good success

Randy

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 07:11:55 PM »
HI Allan

The motor would pull an Impact as well as  any OS VF does, it will turn the exact same prop faster in a 4 cycle, however the almost 4 ounce differance in weight might upset the balance of a plane that large
People are already using the engine in 700 plus  sq in ships, USA-1  and  Super Ares are pulled easy by it.
I however would use it in a 510 to 640 size airplane. It work very well in most all Classic ships.  Do you have a specific plane in mind?

Randy
Yes, I have a very specific plane in mind.  The one I am going to design around the PA40UL power package.  So based on your recommendation it will be a 600~610 wing and I will shoot for a weight in the low to mid 50's.  By the way, you didn't answer my question about the weight of the total package.  I know the motor is 8.2; what are the individual weights of the header and pipe you sell for it?
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline Allan Perret

• Admiral
  • Proverbs
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »
Yes, I have a very specific plane in mind.  The one I am going to design around the PA40UL power package.  So based on your recommendation it will be a 600~610 wing and I will shoot for a weight in the low to mid 50's.  By the way, you didn't answer my question about the weight of the total package.  I know the motor is 8.2; what are the individual weights of the header and pipe you sell for it?
Bump up,  I would like to hear from Randy on this.
Allan Perret
AMA 302406
Slidell, Louisiana

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 01:49:45 PM »
HI

An Aero Pipe 40 Hi Torque weighs 1.8 ounces untrimmed
The 40 Ultra quiet  weighs  1  3\4 ounce untrimmed
the header  weighs  1 ounce

you will need to add coupler and zip tie weight to this, then subtract the trimmed off weight
all total maybe 2 1\4 to 2 1\2 ounces

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here