News:

• May 12, 2024, 07:02:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Who can tell me about the Monarch models?  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Who can tell me about the Monarch models?
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
Every now and then I see a kit on that big auction site by the name of Monarch.
Their slogan was 'A "SPITTIN' IMAGE" model by Monarch'.

I would like to know more about their small models (assuming they may have made bigger ones), one of which I noted was for engine sizes .045-.099 and with a twenty inch wingspan. Just a little larger than the Scientific kits I grew up with.
This suggests they may be a little older, say 1950s or early 60s.

Any information or experiences with these even if not first hand would be helpful.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
Re: Who can tell me about the Monarch models?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »
Bob, just read your PM about Monarch.  Can't really tell you too much about the company, except I don't think they survived into the 1960s.  If I recall, they only had a few smaller models, maybe their biggest took a .19.  The 1/2A Vitamin I have is from an old kit someone actually gave me.  I am hoping the photos attach.  The Cub .074 on it has the original tank.  I think I bought this engine for $3.95 back about 1952.  Has a lot of flights on it.  The plane hasn't been flown yet.  Color is Diana Cream and Black.
Tony

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:20:13 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply!
So for now I only know of two different models they produced. One is the Vitamin (yours), and a P-40F (picture of kit contents below).

I do love your choice of colors! I always have had a thing about cream and just about any dark color. Yours is really nice. Is that a hollowed log fuselage like Scientific or Enterprise? Sort of looks like it might be split, top and bottom half like a Jim Walker Fireball?

Since hardly anyone mentions these even though somewhat rarer than many others they might not be worth a whole lot on the open market. I think they might best be built and enjoyed!
I'll have to keep a closer eye on the ones I see for sale... when they come up!

I hope you do get to fly yours one day, Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 03:05:41 PM »
Hot dog! I found another picture of one of these guys. I don't remember if it went for cheap or a lot but this is one that sold a little while back.

This one is a cool Spitfire.
Shows the two piece carved fuselage quite well. A clamshell like the Jim Walker Fireball. Kit looks pretty much complete but can't see all parts. This was the only picture. Looks like they may have included a spinner but again, not visible in box.

I still don't know where these were made. Due to the few around I'm thinking these may be European but no other info has come in.

Robert

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 12:07:05 AM »
Monarch was definitely an American company. On the East coast I think, as a lot of the manufacturers were in Jersey, or new York. Really can't remember. At any rate I had one that I don't remember the name but it looked like a 1/2 a team race with an upright engine. Neat little plane but could have used more power to live up to it's potential.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:29:28 PM »
A quick note, I just got my first Monarch kit today. It is not complete but nearly so.
 Box is marked  "Made in U.S.A. MONARCH MODEL AIRCRAFT CO. INC. BROOKLYN 33 N.Y."

Some broken parts and missing rudder, fin, elevator, bell crank mounting hardware. Instructions are in very poor condition and missing a good deal of important text.

More later, Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
OK here is some more.
Missing tail wheel and tail gear. Not present in the kit but not clearly shown on plan are the exhaust stacks, something that I thought should be included but may just have to be made up.

The top fuse block is broken into 3 pieces as shown in first photo. This should easily be repaired.
The bottom fuse block is also broken. Just 2 pieces. Not bad and also will be easy to repair.
Contents of smaller pieces shown in third photo. Note nice card stock wing fairings, Decals and windscreen in great condition. Note also the green color of the bell crank. Appears to be zinc oxide primer as found on many original WWII warbirds.

Next picture shows all of the carves parts including the wings and chin/belly block which thankfully is not broken.

Robert

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 02:44:34 PM »
Not much to report new today except that I did rejoin the broken block pieces. Looks a lot better now.

I think that if I went to buy a slab of ribs to grill, I would want them to be like this kit. Meaty. I think that is the best way to describe it. A hollow log it is but there sure is a lot of meat on dem bones. Box says .045-.99 engines. I am sure this was intentionally designed this way because the box also includes a length of 1\4" hardwood for engine bearers.
The wing panels are half inch thick at the roots and taper to 1/4" at the tips. Did I say this was meaty? Yeah I think I did. The wings were meant to have dihedral as the roots have the intended angles done for you and slots to accept the ply dihedral brace. I have seen some early C/L plans that had wing dihedral and the Jim Walker Fire Baby (third pic) also had dihedral. In this case the dihedral, may have been there for a more scale appearance although many scale items are not shown or discussed in the text.

I really have been digging and have only been able to come up with a couple of notes regarding this company (see pics below). These are dated to 1936 so these models may be a little older than we think they are. Still I see no mention of ignition placement, so who knows for sure when this kit was first offered.

Robert

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 09:06:56 AM »
"The wings were meant to have dihedral as the roots have the intended angles done for you and slots to accept the ply dihedral brace. I have seen some early C/L plans that had wing dihedral and the Jim Walker Fire Baby (third pic) also had dihedral. In this case the dihedral, may have been there for a more scale appearance although many scale items are not shown or discussed in the text."

Understand the roots of control line, they started off as Free Flight models. Early Gas powered Free Flight models were test flown on a string before they were launched into the wild blue yonder. From the first control liners had dihedral, it wasn't until after the war that wings were made flat. It was this dihedral that helped "Jim" Walker perform his many of his stunts. Here is an example of a 1944 model (now produced by Black Hawk Models - ad) note the dihedral.
Larry

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2009, 10:48:30 AM »
Thanks for your input Larry. That makes good sense to me.

Actually I did consider the transformation from free flight to be a possibility but didn't grasp tightly to this is because most free flight planes had a good deal more dihedral than a scale plane may have in comparison so I was not sure.

I failed to mention in my last post that the tail feathers are also meaty! While I only have the stabilizer on hand the instruction drawings show the fin, rudder and elevator to be the same thickness. And the thickness is...(drum roll please) Quarter inch thick! For myself it is hard to imagine these pieces to be so substantial for a model this small.

I think this is a good time to talk about quality in the kit.
The wood is nice straight blemish free medium weight balsa stock. I expected heavier.
The die cutting is clean as I have ever seen. The blades sure were sharp! This could partly be true because of low production numbers.
I only have the main gear to talk about here but it is pre bent and in perfect condition with not a speck of visible rust.

I am trying to do my best here to provide whatever documentation for these planes. Apparently they are pretty rare again possibly from low production numbers.  Because it was a company that was incorporated, it has the airs of being something larger and with wide distribution, not a mom N pop  cottage industry. Still, so few are there examples that I have seen.
The limited amount of feedback from others also leads me to think that these are actually quite rare. In spite of the possible rarity of these, I feel that there might not be a lot of interest for these. This is an opinion that could change  of course.

Again I invite any and all comments regarding these kits in the hope to gain any information for these kits.

Robert

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:25:15 PM »
Hi Robert,
I found someone else who is looking for info on Monarch Models on another site I frequent. Here is the link:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9206993/tm.htm

Orv.

Offline GGeezer

• Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:30:59 PM »
Hi Robert,
Oops, I just realized that the Robert on the other site just might be you, am I correct in this assumption?

Orv.

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 10:46:47 AM »
Yes Orv, that would be me trying to expand my search!

Here is a great ad for Monarch for those here to see provided by the other search. Not sure which magazine but was from June of 1953.

Robert

Offline 50+AirYears

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Whoops, didn't mean to take so long to get back to this site.  ( I forgot to check the notify me block, I guess.)  In response to a question about my Monarch Vitamin, the fuse is in fact a 2-piece hollow log.  I did not install the piece of fiber type material they gave for a cowl.  My guess is that it is a piece of an asbestos gasket material.

Also, as in the pics of the P-40F, the upper block was broken throught the cockpit.
Tony

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here