News:

• April 18, 2024, 03:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: White Lighting  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Airacobra

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
White Lighting
« on: September 24, 2018, 01:46:16 PM »
I know its probably been posted here plenty of times before, but I have worked to throw this together for some fun, White Lighting, .061 for power.
Keith Bryant

Offline James Holford

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: White Lighting
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 05:04:24 PM »
I know its probably been posted here plenty of times before, but I have worked to throw this together for some fun, White Lighting, .061 for power.
Let us know how it does. I have drawings for this plane with a Wasp .061

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Jamie Holford
Baton Rouge Bi-Liners
Lafayette, La
AMA #1126767

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 06:24:17 PM »
               I found mine to be extremely tail heavy and abandoned it. It took a TD .09 to balance mine. It was built per the drawings and I even questioned the designer through some e-mails in regards to it. I wasn't fond of the flex I was also receiving in the sheet wing. I split the wing down the middle and glued a piece of spruce to resolve it. I'm looking forward to hear about the flight. This plane captured my attention due to the sheet wing and it's size. I considered a giant leap over the Sig Skyray. I just never flew mine. I might need to explore that avenue again. Ken

Offline Airacobra

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 07:23:15 AM »
Mine seems like it will be nose heavy but for what it is I am going to give a try as soon as I can get a bit of color on it.  Should be fun!
Keith Bryant

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 11:09:33 PM »
I built a White Lightning a while back.  It was a fun and quick build.

I first built it with a Cox Medallion.  Tail heavy and underpowered.
Then I electrified it with a motor I had on hand.  Able to balance it with the battery, but still anemic.
Then I switched to a Norvel .061.  Plenty of power, but tail heavy again and not park friendly.
Now I think I’ll electrify it again with a Brodak power package I have on hand.

Mark

Offline Target

• C/L Addict
  • 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:11:58 PM »
Sounds like a built up horizontal or longer nose is what's needed,  maybe both.
Regards,
Chris
AMA 5956

Offline Chancey Chorney

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 05:39:15 PM »
Nice plane. I have one built up and doped, ready for color. I have had mine built up since who knows when, as I bought the plans immediately after they were released to the public, as the designer is local to me. However, I am a very slooooooooow builder sometimes, and this is one of them. Ok. I looked at the plan, and it is dated 2005, so sometime in 2005 I will assume I started mine....

And add to Ken's comment on the spruce. I too added a spruce stringer to mine as well to stiffen it ip a good bit. It is something I actually do on 99% of my all sheet 1/2a planes for strength. If I have to laminate 2 pieces for the correct chord, I put the stringer in the middle. If I use just a single sheet, I add it to the front.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here