News:

• April 17, 2024, 10:33:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dusted off the old White Lightning today...  (Read 2288 times)

Offline John Castle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • The Bent Pin
Dusted off the old White Lightning today...
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:20:24 PM »
With the help of a meticulously cleaned fuel system and a new fuel filter the Norvel .061 was humming like a sewing machine. The plane really is a joy to fly. It seems to be able to do all the things that my bigger planes can do with the added advantage of having less invested in it so I can push my personal envelope a little harder. I fly it on 50" Spider wire lines and a home made Coroplast handle. At this point in it's life it is getting pretty fuel soaked and messy. I rarely build 2 of the same plane but this one will be replaced for sure.

John
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Dusted off the old White Lightning today...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:03:18 PM »
            John, I've yet to get mine in the air. Almost two years now and its very upsetting to see it sit. I had a lot of problems with the paint. I had put silkspan on the entire model and started finishing in the usual sequence. I went to white as a base and was going to use Brodak candy blue. This is where the problem started. I don't know if the paint was thinned to much but it caused blistering in several places. Thinking initially it was some form of contamination, I sanded down smooth cleared and shot again. The same thing happend once again. I know for sure its the paint as I tried it on another model and same thing. I need to do some more sanding and at this point I'm ready to fly it with just clear on it. I should've used the old rule of keeping it simple. This is always were the problems arise. I was admiring your tank from the picture and I'm assuming its a clunk tank. Would this be correct? Mine certainly feels tail heavy so I have to see what to do there as well. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:52:50 PM »
Or is there a balloon in there?  What kind of flight duration do you get?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline John Castle

• Commander
  • The Bent Pin
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »
The original configuration as pictured did have a balloon tank that only gave me a few minutes of run time. I have since replaced that tank with a  1.5? oz traditional metal tank that today was giving me about 7-8 minutes of run time; that is a big improvement. I have also added a single wheel to allow take off with a stooge.
This is what the current version looks like:
John Castle
McMinnville, Oregon 
AMA# 589650

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

Looks like I am going to have to dig my set of plans and get one going.  Will a TeeDee .049 work? H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 01:01:45 AM »
It should, if you use light wood and clear finish.  Tee Dees run best on pressure for stunting.  I like the little side nipple for providing the pressure.  Much more docile than backplate pressure.  I make a nipple by turning down a "T" nut that just screws onto the existing plastic nipple.  A bit of epoxy guarantees a seal.  The Medallions and Tee Dees have different size nipples, so you will have to experiment.

Running side pressure and a uniflo tank give incredibly steady runs.  AND you can drill out the venturi a bit for more power.

DesignMan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 03:40:09 AM »
         Larry, do you use the stock needle when using the crankcase nipple? I have a .051 on a Combat Kitten using the nipple on the venturi and I'm struggling with it. I haven't played with it much but I'm having problems with it anyhow. I can't seem to keep plugs in this engine. I have 3 shims in there now which is what came with this 1980's version. I want to put this engine on my White Lightning. If the tank set up doesn't pan out I was going to make a bladder compartment out of flourescent light protectors and glue a 4 inch piece to the side of the fuse. I know the majority if not all of the Sarpolus designs used Tee Dee's. When I saw this initially I thought it was a Sarpolus plane. These large flat wing planes fly better than most would believe. I have several of the Tee Dee's collecting dust and these models would benefit. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:34:40 AM »
I do prefer the Kirn-Kraft style needle for smoother setting.  I think Texas Timers still makes them.  What nitro are you using ?  For stunt, 15% is plenty. If you are burning plugs, perhaps you are over-propped or over nitro for your weather conditions.  Also, be sure you are'nt getting fuel foaming

DesignMan

Offline Bruce Feaver

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 04:25:48 PM »
Hi all, I am the designer of the White Lightning and I am glad to see that the WL is still popular and going well. I am glad that the design is holding up well and you are all having fun with it. Any time anyone has questions about it please feel free to PM me.

Cheers

Bruce Feaver
Hip Pocket Aeronautics.

Online 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 03:56:19 PM »
Bump for Motorman!

PS the plane lives here:
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/cl_sp_white_lightning.htm

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here