News:

• May 20, 2024, 05:50:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WHIP POWERED CONTROL LINE  (Read 1085 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WHIP POWERED CONTROL LINE
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:56:31 AM »
    We at Black Hawk Models have been producing Whip Powered Control Line models for several years.  These were invented by "Jim" Walker during the war as a way to keep control line going while engines and fuel were not available.  No engine needed ... pull the plane through the air by the control lines running up a fishing pole.  Yes, you still control the elevator and plane by way of a control handle and bellcrank just like any other control line model.  We are about to release our Christmas Special for this year.  It contains a simple tethered plane (Polish Hawk), a hand launched glider (Zoomer) and a NEW whip powered control line model (Black Hawk Pursuit) with handle and lines included.  For Christmas we are also adding a bottle of nontoxic glue and sandpaper.  Suggest retail price $20.00 
     This is a great way to start a youngster on the road to modeling and control line flying.

Here is the BLACK HAWK PURSUIT:

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WHIP POWERED CONTROL LINE
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 12:19:35 PM »
Larry, seem's like I remember something simular when I was a youngster. I built one using #8 thread as lines with the line's going thru inverted shaped "U""s and a tooth pick as control horn going from top to bottom.
 The top line was up, and the lower was down, when whipping the model, you could make it climb or dive, but I never tried anything else with it.  "Ah, the memories"... #^ #^ #^
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »
Hummm ... Well Walkers invention was a basic 1/2A profile control line model (P-39) with weight in the nose to simulate the weight of an engine.  He used a plywood bellcrank pined in a slot in the fuselage and a plywood control horn.  19" wing span for some idea of the general size.

Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 01:00:42 PM »
This is the Polish Hawk that is included in the kit. It is based on a proto type plane that was being developed by PZL just before WW II. It was also the plane of the first Blackhawk Conics that gave them their name.  The Hawk fighter was painted black as a night fighter.  Comic book history.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here