News:

• May 12, 2024, 01:24:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What the heck is "Hypereutectic Alminal"?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline GGeezer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Gizmogeezer Products
What the heck is "Hypereutectic Alminal"?
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
This is what the sticky label covering the "True Chrome ABC" on my AP Wasp box says.
AP must have changed the way they make either the piston or the cylinder.
Googling Hypereutectic Alminal comes up with Hypereutectic Aluminum which is an alloy with a high percentage of silicon dissolved in it, making for a glass hard surface.
Googling Alminal results in not much info but there is an alloy of Aluminum (Aluminum, copper & Cadmium) Alminal 500 made by Almin Ltd. in England.
Does anyone have any details as to what is going on here? Is Alminal a Chinglish misprint or are they using the Al,Cu,Cd alloy in some way?

On another topic and in response to Dan who wanted to know what plane I plan on putting my new Wasp on, I don't rightly know. I usually like to build all the old 1/2 A planes that I couldn't afford as a youth and power them with period engines. This is a modern engine and needs a plane of modern design. Any suggestions? Otherwise, I may be forced to design my own... I could call it the "Hypereutectic Alminal" or "Hyper Al" for short, now how's that for a handle! n~

Orv.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: What the heck is "Hypereutectic Alminal"?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 03:15:05 PM »
I was assuming that it was a typo of "aluminum", until you said you found a trade name for "Alminal".

The "eutectic" mix is the one with the lowest melting temperature, and it's the one where the two constituents stay dissolved in each other when things freeze.  "Hypereutectic" silicon-aluminum means that there's more silicon in the mix than can stay in solution when the thing solidifies, so the aluminum has little grains of silicon (or aluminum silicate) embedded in it.  Not only do the silicon grains make the stuff wear resistant, hypereutectic aluminum also has a lower coefficient of thermal expansion than regular aluminum, which gives an ABC engine it's "loosen when hot" characteristic.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 04:53:58 PM »
Typo, I think. Hypereutectic aluminium is the usual choice for ABC engines and I suspect the Wasp is no different.

I've been trying to sell my Wasp, but no takers here. I might just have to put it to use instead!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 05:09:11 AM by ash »
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »

On another topic and in response to Dan who wanted to know what plane I plan on putting my new Wasp on, I don't rightly know. I usually like to build all the old 1/2 A planes that I couldn't afford as a youth and power them with period engines. This is a modern engine and needs a plane of modern design. Any suggestions? Otherwise, I may be forced to design my own... I could call it the "Hypereutectic Alminal" or "Hyper Al" for short, now how's that for a handle! n~

Orv.

Here ya go...SkyWriter, 200 sq. in. profile 1/2A stunt plane.  An .049 will fly it fine, with your Wasp you could use 45-50' lines.
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Dan Bregar

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Field Marshall
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
Orv--I'm putting mine on a Brodak Baby Flite Streak.  That SkyWriter looks good also ! :)
AMA 33676

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:12:39 PM »
The Skywriter is definitely a great flying plane , both of mine sport .061's and fly on 48 foot lines!  My Baby Flite Streak sports a Medallion .049 on 42 foot lines. The AP wasp .061 i just bought on sale seems a little slack on pinch at the top , but it still turns a 5.5x2 apc over 19,000 rpm on the bench. Will know more when i mount it on a plane and get some flights on it.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 03:49:00 PM »
Check the crank fit.  If you are "lucky" it is tight.  I have found 2 tight compared to 1 loose.  Tight can be fixed!  And they took back the loose one and replaced it no problem!  I LOVE this engine!!! (own 15 of them! Have only run 9 so far, but generally, the fits work just fine)

Tight - lower rpm, burned plugs, hot running.  When you disassemble the engine and clean it totally dry, the crank is still not free in the crankcase.

Loose - wobble in the shaft, blowing fuel out the nose of the engine

Just right -  totally clean and dry, spinning the crankshaft in the case will produce a couple or more rotations, and there is no noticeable fuel blowing out the front end when running.

On ONLY the AP Wasp, you can do a conventional lapping procedure on the crankshaft.  No other small engine I know of has a bronze bushed shaft bearing!  I still polish in my cranks, rather than lapping them.

Lapping an aluminum crankcase will leave grit embedded in the case material, and induce premature wear!  Oil-wet sand, polish and then clean the crank outside the case, and then recheck the fit.

I have detailed this procedure elsewhere, and you can find it with a search.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here