News:

• May 12, 2024, 01:32:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Guillow's goes Laser Cut  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
Re: Guillow's goes Laser Cut
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 09:39:38 PM »
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 01:21:47 AM »
Douglas I read the box and this is a die-cut kit.

No, it's laser cut, notice the badge under the belly of the airplane.Guillow's has been laser cutting some kits for several years now. They started with the large WW-1 models, then when the released the three new kits they came out with a couple of years ago, (the DeHavilland Beaver, Pilatus Porter, and Edge 540) they were laser cut from the beginning. They have a non-flying model of the Wright Flyer that is laser cut.In the last year or so, they have been laser cutting the large 24" wingspan WW-2 models. I think that as they run out of die crunched kit inventory, they switch to laser cutting. They just didn't do a complete re-edit of all of the box art and copy on some of the kits. I got as pretty good collection of current and vintage Guillow's kits. Definitely a big part of model airplane history.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Douglas Ames

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
LC suffix on kit # = Laser Cut
AMA 656546

If you do a little bit every day it will get done, or you can do it tomorrow.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 02:17:32 PM »
On the kits I have seen, the laser cut versions use decent lightweight wood unlike the die crunched oak of yesteryear. You can actually fly the laser cut models, unlike the die cut version!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Steve Thornton

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 03:55:40 PM »
  No, it's laser cut, notice the badge under the belly of the airplane.Guillow's has been laser cutting some kits for several years now. They started with the large WW-1 models, then when the released the three new kits they came out with a couple of years ago, (the DeHavilland Beaver, Pilatus Porter, and Edge 540) they were laser cut from the beginning. They have a non-flying model of the Wright Flyer that is laser cut.In the last year or so, they have been laser cutting the large 24" wingspan WW-2 models. I think that as they run out of die crunched kit inventory, they switch to laser cutting. They just didn't do a complete re-edit of all of the box art and copy on some of the kits. I got as pretty good collection of current and vintage Guillow's kits. Definitely a big part of model airplane history.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
Thanks Dan!  Very good to know. How do you guys cover these kits and what do you use to adhere the covering? What power?
For the past year I have been so busy at work that I have no time to fly but I can build in the late evenings, so I am building some planes for the grand kids.  The Guillow kits might really appeal to my oldest...my only one interested in building/putting things together.
Thanks fellas,
Steve
"Most of us won't make it out of this world alive."
Steve Thornton

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 04:06:48 PM »
 WOW! Did hell just freeze over?  ;D
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
                 Steve, I've only converted one of these into a control line model. It was a futile attempt. Certain models in rubber power fly exceptionally well. Those models aren't the cool looking WW II models however. Anytime I ever covered these models, I used Jap tissue. The tissue was pre shrunk and installed over the stringers with thinned down white glue applied sparingly to the sanded airframe using a artist brush. Dope would've done the job but I like using the glue method. I dope the tissue afterwards. I use thinned Sig Supercoat followed by Sig Lite Coat. I just use enough Supercoat to shrink the tissue further removing the wrinkles and go with the Lite Coat which prevents further shrinkage to some degree. This method will work for nitro power but I would brush on at least 2 -3 coats of clear over the tissue. Ken

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 11:56:42 PM »
Thanks Dan!  Very good to know. How do you guys cover these kits and what do you use to adhere the covering? What power?
For the past year I have been so busy at work that I have no time to fly but I can build in the late evenings, so I am building some planes for the grand kids.  The Guillow kits might really appeal to my oldest...my only one interested in building/putting things together.
Thanks fellas,
Steve
    Guillow's kits can be built several ways, as can most small kits. It just depends on how much work you want to put into it, and what method of power you are going to use. Years ago at a local indoor session, Tom Stark had two models of the Douglas Dauntless from the Comet kit. One was built as per plans and instructions supplied with the kit, and kit wood. Nice looking model and it flew OK. Then he had another one that was lightened considerably! Contest wood, lightened structure throughout, less detail and finish. It flew more than double the duration.
   The advantage of the Guillow's kits is the extra vacu-formed details that you can use or discard as you see fit. To build one for C/L scale requires some extra wood, engineering and effort. Chris McMillin and his son Jeremiah did the large Focke-Wulf 190 from the Guillow's large WW-2 line for Jeremiah to fly in Scale at the NATS one year. It was powered by a Fuji .09 as I recall, with a 3 line control system for throttle. They added some thin planking to the fuselage and wings where it was needed and the paint job was Tamiya acrylics with DuPont 380 clear over it. It came out quite nice and flew quite well and I think Jeremiah won or at least placed in Junior Scale at the NATS that year. I hope Chris sees this and fills in where I may have remembered things wrong.
   The Guillow's kits are just like any other kit, your result is a direct reflection of how much work you put into it.. You just have to know what you are going to do with it when you crack open the shrink wrap on one. Either make it a super detailed display model, which they do quite nicely for, or  to the other end of the spectrum, a nice, light flying model.
   Type at you later,
     Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 08:26:17 AM »
Several fellows in my club make CL models out of these kits. Typically they fully plank with 1/32 balsa and reinforce the gear and motor mounting. Great fliers with .049-.09.

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 01:51:15 PM »
Just to clarify my comments. The small WW2 kits are a real challenge to make fly on rubber. You need to relace all the wood with contest grade balsa AND you need to know what you are doing when you trim them!
The larger models are much less of a challenge, but build light and you still need some basic trimming experience. There are two non scale models in the smaller series that actually fly very well indeed on Cox O.O2reed valve engines.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 10:27:51 PM »
Yes, they do fly well as a C/L model. And Andrew has good points about flying them as rubber models. I always sanded the sheets quite a bit before I removed the parts from the sheets so they were a tad thinner than they started, but better prepped for construction. In this way I got reasonable rubber powered performance, but then as a grade schooler my requirements for success were a lot lower than guys going to the Nats. The die cut process needs a sturdy piece of wood, lighter and cleaner wood can be used with laser cut operations. Good for all!
Thanks guys for bringing this subject up, I like the smaller models to help kids get their feet wet. Dan is right about the Focke Wulf Jeremiah built for Scale. He flew it to victory twice at the Nats when he was 12 and 12 years old and was 10th overall out of 24 entered In Sport Scale at the '93 Nats so a well built and trimmed Guillows model flown well can be competitive. Or; They are just fun to fly. I think a 2.4 receiver and two lines on one nowadays would allow retracts and flaps as well as throttle control!
Chris...
P.S. I'll cannot find any electronic photos of Jer's FW 190 so I'll try to take some pics and post for those interested.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here