News:

• April 19, 2024, 08:02:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What a crime!  (Read 1032 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
What a crime!
« on: March 11, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
I found this while doing more unpacking and sorting.  I think I got this in the same box that my Testors P-39 and Cox .15 Comanche were in, but I can’t say for sure.  What I can say for sure is that this is a crime.  Apparently, back in the days of the Space Bug (’52-’58), people who didn’t want to buy a Thermal Hopper would butcher their Space Bug to use an external tank.

Hopefully, the norm was to do a better job than this.  I guess I’ll have to do some work with some jeweler’s files to see if I can correct this hack job and make it presentable.

Mark
« Last Edit: March 11, 2023, 06:58:34 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
Re: What a crime!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »
I've never taken a close look at one of these engines....but I have seen the "necked down" cylinder somewhere before..maybe as a carry over to the next generation...?
Did the Space Bug / Thermal Hopper perform as well as the Baby Bee or Black Widow...?

I'm guilty of drilling into the side of a few Baby Bee tanks to run a line back to a 2 oz tank...... H^^

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 03:49:30 PM »
Chuck,

From what I've read in old articles, the Spacebug has a little more performance than a Black Widow.  There was a racing carb and head that you could buy that would add about a 5-10% speed increase, depending on prop used.  I assume the head was just a high compression head like you would use on a later TeeDee.  Not sure how a different carb would work, other than just screwing a larger inlet to the venturi tube. 

These stepped cylinders are the early style.  I'm not sure exactly when Cox went away from them, but I like them.  Interestingly, since this is an early engine, the glow head of the later engines will not work on a Spacebug.  The bottom of the glow head is narrower than the later glow plugs.  Hopefully this glow head is good, as I only have one spare head with the narrower bottom.

This is an abomination in my mind.  Drilling holes in a Babe Bee tank is alright.  It only takes a couple of minutes to replace the drilled out tank with a new/used one, and old Babe Bee tanks are everywhere since people often swapped them out for the 8cc tanks.

Mark

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 04:36:03 PM »
Chuck,

From what I've read in old articles, the Spacebug has a little more performance than a Black Widow.  There was a racing carb and head that you could buy that would add about a 5-10% speed increase, depending on prop used.  I assume the head was just a high compression head like you would use on a later TeeDee.  Not sure how a different carb would work, other than just screwing a larger inlet to the venturi tube. 

These stepped cylinders are the early style.  I'm not sure exactly when Cox went away from them, but I like them.  Interestingly, since this is an early engine, the glow head of the later engines will not work on a Spacebug.  The bottom of the glow head is narrower than the later glow plugs.  Hopefully this glow head is good, as I only have one spare head with the narrower bottom.

This is an abomination in my mind.  Drilling holes in a Babe Bee tank is alright.  It only takes a couple of minutes to replace the drilled out tank with a new/used one, and old Babe Bee tanks are everywhere since people often swapped them out for the 8cc tanks.

Mark
Mark..there's one guy I know of who used to take a burned out Cox head and do the mods for a Nelson plug. IIRC the threads are 11/32..but the sketchy part of his work... is that he used the point of a phillips screwdriver to mill the tapered seat. To complicate matters..he is a New Zealander who was living in Japan..so who knows where his screwdriver "milling bit" came from with the perfectly matched seat angle.
He was a regular at the RCU 1/2A forum who went by JAPANMAN..a very talented and resourceful machinist who always seemed to prove that IF THERE IS A WILL...THERE IS A WAY.
At any rate the Nelson plugs were the best value when I bought them from Larry Driskill at his  "KITTING IT TOGETHER" web site and every bit as power as original Cox...but it's been many years since I priced Nelson plugs.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here