News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:55:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AP Wasp .061  (Read 5992 times)

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
AP Wasp .061
« on: February 07, 2012, 10:36:07 PM »
Got an email today from Hobby People, and they say they will no longer carry the AP Wasp engines.

Hate to see this, but perhaps Randy Smith will pick them up (like he did Enya).

Bill
Not a flyer (age related), but still love the hobby!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: AP Wasp .061
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 04:22:58 PM »
          I've been searching for a crankcase and a crankshaft. They have the shaft but no cases. Mine wore out in less than 50 flights. This isn't something new. I've read that this happened to several on the R/C forum. I'm quite impressed by the power. Mine just started to wobble so bad it was shaking the element out of the plugs. I was lucky to get two flights from a plug. The case is currently undergoing a new bearing.  I have a new one in the box so I hoped that one does better. One thing I did note was that a Norvel crank would fit and was .002" in diameter wider. This would just require the Norvel drive washer. I hope that someone does carry them. These engines have a lot of useable power for the money. Ken

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 06:16:04 PM »
Ken,

I'm surprised your case bearings wore out so soon. AP uses bronze bushings in their cases, and those are supposed to be superior to cast aluminum bearings.

So may I ask what fuel you were using, and was this an r/c, or c/l application?

Bill

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 06:28:47 PM »
Ken,

Have you looked here for parts?

http://globalservices.globalhobby.com/part/211280.asp

Bill

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:20:51 PM »
              Bill, I did go to the Global distributor initially. The shopping cart wasn't working correctly when I tried to make purchases. It would double my order actually and when I would try to return to the shopping menu it would kick me off the site. I haven't tried it lately. I was specifically using two fuels. I use Sig 25%-35% Champion exclusively for my 1/2A use. I then switched to GMA Powermaster 10-22 due to the high cost of higher nitro fuels. I know this may sound frugal, but I'm using almost 2 gallons of 25% nitro fuel a season on 1/2A's. My son and I fly them very frequently. I wasn't able to purchase the 25% on my last order as Sig was out so I purchased 35%. I use that amount all the time with no lubrication or engine problems. We switched to the 10-22 due to cost which required some mild engine changes. We were using the hot Nelson plugs which I don't think are even made anymore. We also adjusted the amount of head shims. I took the new engine apart and measured some of the parts to draw a comparison to the one that just wore out. I have a difference of .002" between the two cranks. I contemplated installing the Norvel crank that I have which is already .002 larger than the stock crank. The problem is the case is almost .004" over in the bushing. Now I was pushing this engine pretty hard up to 27K. This may or may not have played a part in it. I'm not complaining about it. I like these engines and it surely fits the bill from a monetary and useage standpoint. Ken

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 12:19:38 PM »
Hello all,
Googling AP Wasp brought up quite a few vendors in the US, some even had some spares! However the prices made me wince. I reckon that a NV Big Mig 0.61 now looks a better bet.
I can buy the AP Wasp much more cheaply from Germany, works at at around $36 delivered, if you buy two. Makes a pleasant change, usually the European price is "convert the US $ price to the same number of £s"

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:12:50 AM »
Hello Kenneth,
I took a look at the German stockist that I use for the AP Wasp. The engine is listed at £27.99 , the crankcase is a whopping great £20.99. They didn't list the crankshaft. Doesn't seem worth buying the crankcase at that price.

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:53:21 PM »
                  My friend and fellow club member put a new bushing in the case this past weekend. The fit is very nice. The old bearing didn't have a oil groove which actually surprised me. He installed the bushing with a groove within it. I'm truly happy with the job he did for me although machine work like this is probably not cost effective unless you can do it yourself. I recall two suppliers which were on Ebay that sold parts for the AP.061. I can't seem to locate them now. Now I'm reading the engine isn't going to be handled by Hobby People any longer. I only purchased them when they offered the sales. What I find most surprising is the fact that this engine is ported like the Big Mig Norvel. It runs like my AME ported Norvel .049's. I'm sure the larger displacement is the reasoning but one thing for sure is that it works in the application I'm using it for. I hope this resolves my plug blowing problems which I'm quite certain it will. My engine had severe wobble going on to the point the engine made a funny noise. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 10:03:06 PM »
I asked my local Hobby People manager about the engine, and he said that the headquaters required him to send back all his engines! That does NOT sound good.  I am set for life, as I sort of thought that this might happen!  It just was too good an engine at the price!  And then they had all these sales.  Grab 'em where you can get 'em!  HB~>
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Bill Adair

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
  • AMA 182626
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »
Larry,

That does sound bad.  ::)

I'm disappointed that they didn't keep any parts in stock, to support all of us who bought AP engines from them. I don't think I'll be buying anything from them again.

I've been meaning to ask where you got those Kavan style modeling pins that you show in your building photos from time to time? I've looked high and low, and even emailed Sig to see if they were going to stock them. Sig said it would be a while before they get them, and to keep watching their web site. Many months have gone by, and I've yet to see them.

Bill

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 11:35:18 AM »
I think that Control Line Central sells them.

I checked the Micro-Mark catalog, and they don't have any pins listed.  :'(

I wouldn't mind geting another batch myself.

DesignMan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 01:53:44 PM »
            This past weekend I was able to put the AP to the test once again. I was very anxious to see how this engine was going to run with the new bushing installed. I reassembled with a lot of oil so it was a bit troublesome initially getting it running. I gave it a good ground run and everything seemed fine with no funny business. I launched the plane and it made a fairly good flight. I would've preferred a bit richer run but nonetheless all good. I went for second flight and couldn't get the engine running. I took out the plug and it was literally shredded. I can't keep a plug in the !@#$$% engine. It has destroyed every plug I install in it. I have .021" of head shims . The shims I installed were .003-.004 in thickness. This is about 6 head shims. The crank was checked for runout when the bushing was installed. All was good. I balance the APC props, I find this a bit harder to do with the Cox rubber ducky's. That plastic would rather be scraped then sanded. I was running the APC. The only thing I can figure is that it doesn't want to run in the high rpm range I'm subjecting it to. It must hit that vibration that just scrambles the plug. I'm thinking that the majority that runs the AP only has it in the 20k-23k rpm range. I know the engine is getting into the 27K range. I guess the only thing to do is to keep adding more gaskets until it stops blowing plugs. I will try that one more time. If this doesn't solve the problem, it certainly is time to look for another option. Ken

Offline Steve Hines

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 09:10:53 PM »
Hobby Partz has the ASP .61 The same thing $32.00

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:10:28 AM »
Thanks for the tip Steve, I might order one of the .12's from them too. T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Samuel Bolton

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 09:40:22 AM »
Hey Guys;                                                                                                                                                                                                                Nitroplanes.com is still selling the AP .061 for $32.55 ea. with free shipping over $50.00, thats a total of $65.10 for 2 engines.                    I like that no matter what!  I just ordered 2.                                                                                      Sam Bolton                                                                     

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
  Mr Bolton, I sent ya' a P M ...Thanks, Gil
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Samuel Bolton

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »
Sorry Gil;               That would be Item # 72P-AP061A for AP .061 engine                     Sam Bolton

Offline Bootlegger

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »
Sam, Do you have a phone number that I might call?  No luck at the site...
8th Air Force Veteran
Gil Causey
AMA# 6964

Offline Samuel Bolton

• 23 supporter
  • New Pilot
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 01:12:18 PM »
Gil; sorry for the confusion, the order goes to Hobbypartz .com,. I paid by Paypal and the money went to Nitroplanes.com who is maybe their supplier, This is as I see it, been wrong before!  Also Steve Hines gave the site Hobbypartz 2 days ago   Hope this helps. Sam Bolton      P.S. I also sent you an Email

Offline john vlna

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 10:34:39 AM »
Here is the link to the Nitroplanes/Hobbypartz site. I think they are really the same place Anyway they have the AP .061 for $32.55

http://www.nitroplanes.com/72p-ap061a.html

Lots of other ASP engines on the same site

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »
I think that Control Line Central sells them.

I checked the Micro-Mark catalog, and they don't have any pins listed.  :'(

I wouldn't mind geting another batch myself.

CLC or Tom Morris both have them for sale.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 07:19:17 PM »
And CLC is usually at VSC!  Here I come!  y1

DesignMan

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2012, 09:39:05 AM »
Only couple more days to VSC. Maybe some AP Wasp's for sale there.
Dan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 06:32:11 PM »
Not mine! VD~

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here