News:

• April 30, 2024, 05:41:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Update: "Droopy Diamond" airfoil  (Read 2494 times)

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
Update: "Droopy Diamond" airfoil
« on: July 31, 2008, 04:21:37 PM »
Thought I'd post an update on this thing. I've been continuing to mess with it, more and more pleased all the time.

Pics:  1st, original traditional airfoiled Rumbler, viewed from LE--just for comparison.
         2nd, "Droopy Diamond" (tall diamond-shaped ribs, interior spar, covering allowed to sag into round airfoil shape between)--Coverite "Microlite" film, very light.
         3rd, I had to see what thicker film would do--so, this is Monokote, much heavier than the yellow Microlite.  Sags just as well.
         4th, ditto silkspan/dope.  I thought it probably wouldn't sag; I was wrong.  It's a sorry covering job, I about forgotten how to do it, but good enough to prove my point: Any kind of covering will work.
         5th, all of them stacked for direct comparison.
         6th, plan view just for reminders.
         7th, profile of the D.D., again for reminders.

I believe the droopy diamond airfoil outflies the traditional...I plan to take both iterations out and fly them back-to-back for immediate impressions.

--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
Re: Update: "Droopy Diamond" airfoil
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »
You aught to try Doculam! I don't think it would sag as much. If you are interested I can send you some to try.

Robert
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 06:38:15 PM »
Sure, send it on...the sag, though, is the desired trait; I would hope it would sag as much.  But it would be good to know if it won't.

I'd just need about a 12" x 12" piece.

I'll PM you my snailmail address.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 07:20:09 PM »
Thanks friend. I will get some to you.

Robert

Offline George

• Admiral
  • Love people, Use things.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 09:20:48 PM »
...4th, ditto silkspan/dope.  I thought it probably wouldn't sag; I was wrong.  It's a sorry covering job, I about forgotten how to do it, but good enough to prove my point: Any kind of covering will work.

Careful with light silkspan. It sags best if applied chordwise but is not NEARLY as strong and will snag easily in weeds. Apply the silkspan spanwise and although less sag, you will be much happier.

With your experimentation, I'm sure you will determine the appropriate rib height to get the effect you want.

Your planes look really nice.

George
George Bain
AMA 23454

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:34 AM »
Thank you George,  rib height I'm currently using is 1.5" on a nominal 6.5" chord, that's 23%, sags to about 1", 15%...it's working really really well--the planes are very fast, track well, snap through turns with minimal speed loss, turn tight consecutive loops with no bogging, upwind maneuvers no problem, etc.  An all-around good combat plane. A thorough experimenter would try taller ribs (shorter as well) to find the optimal.  I'll probably get around to it eventually.  Don't know how a guy could get much better performance than I already have though.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 04:32:03 PM »
OK, 1 more material type tried, to see how its "droop" measures up: 1.5 mil "Docu-Lam", donated by my good friend Robert McHam for my experimenting pleasure.  As you can see, the droop of this stuff is again very much in the ballpark with all the others.  Covering type doesn't seem to matter. 

This Docu-Lam, by the way, is pretty good stuff.  It requires higher temperature to seal, also to shrink, than the more typical plastic films, but it is much tougher.  Shrinks up more, too, at temps I'd be burning holes in monokote, etc.  And clear!  It practically disappears, see second pic.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2008, 02:23:01 AM by minnesotamodeler »
--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline Robert McHam

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 05:00:38 PM »
Quote by minnesotamodeler:
"And clear!  It practically disappears"

I know! Nearly like glass.

Robert

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2008, 11:53:29 AM »
Where do you get Docu-lam, and how is its weight?  Also, is it paintable?
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »
Where do you get Docu-lam, and how is its weight?  Also, is it paintable?

Hi Larry,

I got mine from Robert!  I think it's the stuff used in laminating machines, for laminating documents...so should be available through any office supply house (Officemax, etc.).  However, if that's the stuff, it comes in, like, 500' rolls or something, for big $$$.  Somebody oughtta buy a roll and piecemeal it out to modelers in manageable quantities--somebody probably already does. Somebody oughtta research this (hint, hint).

It is extremely light, about like Coverite Microlite, but much stronger.  Robert tells me it is paintable, on the outer surface if sanded lightly to get some "tooth", or on the under surface with no prep necessary--I don't know how that would affect the adhesion however. I'll probably be trying some of these things since Robert sent me a bunch of the stuff.

--Ray 
AMA902472

Offline ray copeland

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2008, 06:52:16 PM »
Does this resemble the covering from Phil Cartier? I have not tried it yet , but seems the qualities may be the same.
Ray from Greensboro, North Carolina , six laps inverted so far with my hand held vertically!!! (forgot to mention, none level!) AMA# 902150

Offline Tom Perry

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2008, 07:32:16 PM »
Ray,

I've been using this stuff since the late sixties, mainly on combat models back when.  The stuff I use is called SEAL - LAMIN and you can google it and find it at a number of places.  Here's a few:

http://www.teamphoto.com/products_lamsupplies.html

http://www.schooloutfitters.com/catalog/product_info/pfam_id/PFAM3911/products_id/PRO11777?sc_cid=shopping.com_GBC-3000004

http://www2.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/stock/AudioVisual.rtf

You're right about the high temp.  You can actually scorch the balsa underneath the film and it doesn't melt.

Be careful if you sand prior to painting.  I tried it a couple of times and let go  when I lightly passed over a rib.  I painted my wing tips on the old combat cats about 30 years ago and it hasn't cracked or peeled after all that time.  Still tight as a drum too.  For all of you that want to paint it I would suggest just wiping it off with a solvent to make sure its grease free and paint it as is.  I used dope and like I said 30 years later and still looks fine.  Build a test frame to try other paint.  I think it will work well with Rustolium.

The laminates come in either matte or gloss.  Both types look the same until applied.  When heated the glue on the gloss melts and becomes clear.

Here's an example of wings covered using this stuff a couple of years ago.  This was off the same 200' x 11-1/4" roll purchased in 1972 or thereabout.   <=
Tight lines,

Tom Perry
 Norfolk, Virginia

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2008, 11:57:25 PM »
Thanks, Tom--looks like the same stuff.

Ray, I don't know if it's the same as Phil Cartier's stuff, it may well be.
--Ray 
AMA902472

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here