News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:14:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: trying to get up to speed: the "Crazy Crate" tether conversion  (Read 1567 times)

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
I am trying to get back into the swing of things and have a couple of projects I am working on.

The first of which is a little Cox Pee Wee 020 powered tether plane I am converting to  control line.

Changes I have made:

Moved the stab back to allow elevator control without having to use a joiner for the separate elevator halves.

Added a little subfin in the back. I love subfins and just couldn't help myself. Every time I looked at the plan it just looked like it needed one.

Made a decision on where to hinge the elevator and divided the two components.

Omitted the dowel for the tether

Changes I might make or will make:

Since I have no 1/16 ply (and won't for a while) I am going to find a substitute a material to take its place. This is my biggest hold up for now.

Move the CG back some!!! Balance as shown on plan is ahead of the firewall.

Being a biplane Seems there is some sort of rule that the spacing between upper and lower needs to be greater that the wing chord?
I might need clarification on that.
The plan has the spacing to be 1 3/8" and the wing chord is 2 3/4". I guess that is fine for tether and suppose it would fly anyways but might be better to increase the distance?

Add C/L control.
Not sure where I want the bellcrank location or leadouts just yet.
Suggestions?
I might even omit the bellcrank! I know a way! Still has to have a leadout location.
Can an adustable leadout be made light and small short of drilling a bunch of holes and having to redo the leadout lines each time?

Any thoughts or comments are welcome and appreciated.

Robert
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 07:10:00 AM by Robert McHam »
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Offline Robert McHam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Re: trying to get up to speed the Crazy Crate.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 09:56:13 PM »
I really intended for this project to be my number one for now but it has slowed somewhat. Tonite I have started on the firewall substitution. It is round and I have discovered that popsicle sticks or as some may refer to them as "craft sticks might be the perfect solution. They appear to be made of white birch and exactly 1/16" thick which is the correct thickness I need. I require two of these to sandwich another 1/16" thick balsa sheet which outlines the LG.
The width of these times three is exactly the diameter of the firewall! How cool is that? Thus far I have epoxied three sticks edgewise and will wait till tomorrow to make my first one.

In the past I have used 5 min. epoxy for most of my needs. I have been less than satisfied over the long run as it often gets a little rubbery in time. I have since switched to 30 min. epoxy for better results. We shall see.

Time marches on and I progress. I have other projects I have started and need finishing. Those will wait for now.

Robert   
Crop circles are simply open invitations to fly C/L!

Advertise Here
Tags: 020 Cox biplane Pee Wee 

Advertise Here