News:

• May 09, 2024, 06:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1/2 A flite box  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
1/2 A flite box
« on: May 04, 2012, 08:35:34 PM »
Having decided to not build big models again, I got rid of my old fliteline box with the 7 Ah gell cell battery and built a new one using a 1.3 mAh 3s pack for power and a mini power panel.  Here it is!

The starter is a Miller RC, and it is still available.  You can lift the new box with your little finger with no strain.
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: 1/2 A flite box
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 07:04:03 AM »
          Now if I only had the incentive to shift my rear into gear and do something like that myself. I've been flying speed limit combat and have been in extreme need of a pitbox for that as well. Nothing like running for a downed plane holding batteries while props are stuffed in your pockets and leaving a trail of syringes behind you. I'm envious of your box. We tend to not realize how useful and more enjoying something as simple as that box can make the hobby. Nice work Larry, Ken

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:41:56 AM »
Good idea of mini flightbox. I might made a couple for different types flying. Combat/ 1/2A etc.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:25:37 PM »
I especially like the adjustable glow heat and LED continuity features.

One flaw in the system was that one of the leads on the circuit board fried.  A jumper cable was installed across the break, and all has been well since.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »
Not pleased so far!  The circuit for the starter burned out, and Andy Borgogna soldered a couple of shunts to take the main power as a bypass for the starter.

Now, however, the plug circuitry has feebed out.  I note that the plastic housing on top is distorted (melted), so it is clear that the heat generated is not being allowed to escape.  I have another copy of the board, and have cut circulation holes for the air to flow through. 

I am only running 1/2A stuff with this panel, so it is really pitiful that it should fail.  Again.

I have contacted Tower Hobbies.  We will see what they will do about the situation.  All things considered, I would like to have a backup to the backup I am now using.

DesignMan

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 08:13:26 AM »
Since I had proof of the purchase date, Tower is sending me a new unit! 

Looking carefully at the old one, I noted that the plastic cover was heat warped in one area.  That turns out to be right next to a component mounted on a heat sink.  But there is no path for air to flow.  My guess is that whatever it is fried in its own heat.

The next one will have openings cut in the plastic to allow air to enter at the bottom and flow out the top.

DesignMan

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 09:03:50 AM »
                       Larry , you lit a fire under me and I was able to build a pitbox. I wanted to build a box that was obviously lightweight and well balanced. I'm using a 12v gel cell. Although the box is light, the battery weighs in just a touch over 4 lbs. This just told me to put the battery in the center. Seeing this is my first attempt at building a box, I know several add ons will be required as I discover what will be needed. This is also the first time I've even used a power panel. I received the panel from a friend new in the box. I put an inline fuse on the power line and a rocker switch as well. The majority of these panels allow for the power to be to the panel at all times. I can't wait to try it out actually. The box is still being finished with poly. It certainly is nice to know I shouldn't have to worry about underpowered batteries or depleted nicads. Running for a downed plane in combat should certainly be much easier as I also made a small fuel container to hold and dispense fuel. Carrying the gallon was getting real old. Ken

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2012, 08:23:18 PM »
RSM has a field box in Laser Cut Kit form.  It uses a standard Power Panel and 12V, 7Ah battery.  I designed it and used it for years with my big plane.  Several other local modelers have one and are quite happy with it.

But I decided to stick to the small stuff, so the new unit is all I need.  I have not done CAD drawings of it, but could if there was demand, and Eric is interested.

DesignMan

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 05:09:09 AM »
I've had several failures with Tower Hobbies power panels.  Some infant mortality in the first week and others after a minor rain incident.

Those that failed early replaced by Tower after just a phone call or E mail.  They didn't demand return of the defective units.

On the other hand, the good ones last for decades.  At the first sign of rain, the power panel is my top priority.
Paul Smith

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 06:19:12 AM »
        Shortly after Larry's initial post, I did indeed complete a flite box. The box uses a 12V emergency light battery which is a sealed unit. I'm using a Tower Hobbies power panel. I like the amp meter giving me an indication that I have a plug. Problem with the panel is, when using Nelson HD plugs and other colder plugs such as Enya's, it's not adequate. I have the panel dialed all the way up and it's just not lighting the plug. You can hear the hum when the clip is connected and I'm sure this is taxiing the panel pretty hard. Rain is certainly an issue. I noted how some of the guys had their panel inside a fabric covered pouch in the event of rain. These were the insulated pouches like you would use for lunches. Ken
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 06:38:32 AM by kenneth cook »

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:14:24 AM »
Rain? What's that?  I live in So CA.  LL~

DesignMan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here