News:

• May 02, 2024, 11:21:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day  (Read 7791 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day
« on: August 08, 2014, 03:40:16 AM »
Over on the CEF, a few of us were talking about the old Cox PT-19 trainers, and someone said, “Like the immortal Ringmaster, these little guys are EVERYWHERE across the globe!”, and thought we should have a marathon day kind of like the Ringmaster Fly-A-Thon.  

So, in that vein, we’ve decided that September 20th would be the first annual “International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day”.  It’s informal, and the rules are simple.  If you got one, fly it.  It doesn’t matter if it’s shiny and new, or a Franken-PT.  Just go out and have some Cox fun.  Taking pictures or video would be nice, but just telling everyone that you got to fly is definitely in the spirit of the holiday.  I’ve written my Congressman to have a bill introduced to make it a national holiday, but we can start it as a grass roots movement for now.  

Mark McRiley - Cox Addict
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 06:18:19 PM by Mark Mc »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:33:31 AM »
Our club hosted a CL demo years ago.  Cox donated a BIG crate of PT-19's for beginners' learn to fly.  They must have destroyed 50 of 'em.  I was on the repair crew to put 'em back together.  By the end of the day there wasn't enough left to fly a single one.
Paul Smith

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »
I'll have my balsa nosed Killer Bee powered PT-19 ready to fly. I gotta see if mine can do as many consecutive loops as Kim's.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Dane Martin

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • heli pilot BHOR
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
ok, i don't have the cox version, but I'm almost done with a blackhawk models pt-19. it will have a cox golden bee. would this be acceptable??

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 02:30:08 PM »
ok, i don't have the cox version, but I'm almost done with a blackhawk models pt-19. it will have a cox golden bee. would this be acceptable??
It's a PT-19! ;D
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Kim Stricker

• Dedicated Castor-Slinger !!!
  • New Pilot
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »
I'll have my balsa nosed Killer Bee powered PT-19 ready to fly. I gotta see if mine can do as many consecutive loops as Kim's.
Rusty

"BWRAAAHAA!!!!!  And LOOPS there shall be !!!!!" 

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 08:59:38 AM »
"BWRAAAHAA!!!!!  And LOOPS there shall be !!!!!" 
Haha, I wondered if you'd find that. Welcome to SH.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 08:02:43 AM »
I don't remember what's left of mine It made about a lap and a half before an unscheduled landing I think the student in the front seat and the rudder bought the farm that sad sad day.T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline Kim Stricker

• Dedicated Castor-Slinger !!!
  • New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 03:39:11 PM »
Yeah...mine took a terrible pounding before I started getting a clue on how to miss the ground.  It seems so simple now: just two dimensions-up and down---how hard could that be?!  But it was a different matter when I was holding the handle while the PT was turned loose!

It DID survive though, and where a lot of them were left behind when their owners moved on to the higher performance planes, mine still soldiered on...often packing lights and other gadgets into the air.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
  Count me in! That is the first day of our two day Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale contest put on by the Laffayett Esquadrille at Buder Park, and I'll pass the word around. I'm thinking putting up PT-19 flights after the competition is finished just for giggles and grins! We'll show the Ringmaster guys!
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »
I'm looking forward to it. My son is going to come to town for the day too. It was actually his plane originally. Maybe on this day he can finally fly out a full tank of fuel. I think I'll try first. Lol.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 01:28:04 AM »
  I'm running late on this but I hope not too late! I got the official Okie Dokie from our contest CD to announce that we will be a site for the International Cox PT-19 Fly-A Thon at the Laffayette Esquadrille Broken Arrow Stunt and Scale Contest! I will be bringing one or two  of mine, and flights will take place Saturday afternoon following the completion of contest flying for the day. Saturday's events will include Old Tyme Stunt, Classic/Nos-30, Profile Stunt and the Scale classes we have scheduled. Check out the full schedule in the Events section. The way we usually proceed is to fly the smallest class on the center square pad so as to finish there as early as possible. While that event is flying on that circle, the scale guys are doing their static judging. Once we have the center circle cleared, then the scale guys take over for their official flights. Once the official flying is finished, then the Plastic Fantastics take over. There is another modeling event at the park that day, The GSLMA Modeling Extravaganza will be going on all day until 4PM or so. This is mostly R/C flying. The park does get busy that day, so if you decide to come out and attend the contest to fly, or to attend the PT-19 assembly, or to catch the rest of the Extravaganza, there will be something in the way of modeling to see. And even if I am the only one, there WILL BE PT-19 flights!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 01:49:47 AM »
Thanks for the support, Dan. That reminds me, I better alert the whole Carolina Gang. I don't know if we have any forgotten PT-19ers in the group or not, but I wouldn't want anyone to miss out. Surely there has to be a couple of dusty old PTs in the gang.

I got mine off the hook last night and started cleaning it up. Found a nice new red anodized crankcase and a brand new crankshaft. A #1 or #4 cylinder should wake it up. Just a couple of cracks in the nose need attention and it'll feel good to get the old bird back in action.
Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 03:43:49 PM »
Okay, People.  Here's the link to the official "International Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day" thread on the CEF.  It's where we're going to keep track of who flew what and when.  

http://www.coxengineforum.com/t7189-the-official-international-cox-pt-19-fly-it-if-you-got-it-day-thread

The Rules are simple.

1) If you got it, fly it.
2) See Rule 1.

This thread is to post your Cox PT-19 flight reports.  Just let us know who you are, where you are, and how many flights you made.  It’s called the “Fly It If You Got It Day”, but flying will be targeted for both days of the weekend of Sept. 20th and 21st.  Since we’re really strict about reporting and documentation, you must promptly report your flights, promptly I say, between Sept. 20th and whenever you remember to tell us about it.  Pictures would be nice, and videos even nicer, but are not required.  The only requirement is that you have fun dusting off your old Cox PT-19 and flying it.  Extra points if you introduce the Cox PT-19 to someone who’s never seen or flown one before.

We’ll take all the reports and keep a running tally.  If this gets enough response, we can do it again next year with flyers, and a facebook page, and even a cool logo.

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2014, 09:35:54 PM »
The Knights of the Round Circle will be flying a vintage PT-19 tomorow at Whittier Narrows in SO CA. Come and join the fun! Due to the rarity of the model, we will be limiting who flies it to at least beginner class pilots. If you can't guarantee getting it back in one piece, dont attempt it, please.

In addition we will have the squadron of. ET-1s avaliable for newbies and beginers to learn on. Come ahead, they can take a beating and are easily replaced.

The PT-19was our go-to trainer for a decade, but parts became unavalible and maintainance during training was grueling!

So, enter the ET-1 electric trainer. Built out of old Coroplast political signs and with a pusher, twin boom configuration, we generally can train twice the numbaer of kids that we could with "wet" trainers. And end up with all the models intact.

The Et-1 is essentiaily bulletproof and actually handles wind better.

One of the secrets is that we use RC to run the throttle. 10 laps max, instant starts, full control if you come accross a kid who thinks crashing your model is the point of the exercise. ( yes, I run accross them now and then, but I have a VERY strong grip!)

We are working on an ET-2 trainer to sell. Currently it looks like it can be sold for $75 with charger and battery fully ready to fly.  S?P
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2014, 08:13:49 PM »
I posted my PT-19 official flight report over at CEF, but figured I'd post a copy here too.

My Official Tally of Flights for Cox PT-19 Fly It If You Got It Day:   

Rusty Knowlton            Columbia, SC, USA             1 Flight
Al Knowlton                 Columbia, SC, USA             1 Flight
And Holley flew the camera

I spent last week tinkering with the old PT, patching cracks with fiber packing tape, sealed with fingernail clear. Bent new stronger LG and added some light bigger Dubro tires for the grass field. The new engine ran okay but had a minor problem of drinking its own exhaust oil dribbling down the choke snorkel. I think that's what caused it to sag on and off. We had some tricky turbulence through the trees and off the roof of the church, but nothing a little 1/2A ballet couldn't handle. I took the first flight and even managed a rolling landing... sort of. It didn't flip. Al took the handle next for an exciting roller coaster, cut a few weeds and kept it in the air. Until he got bored with circles and pulled a Yank n' Hope loop. I thought he was going to pull it out at the last nanosecond, but noooooot quite! That unfortunately limited our official flights to two, as the little half-barrel hinge guide molded onto the rudder broke and was too greasy to glue at the field. We took it home and fixed it, but never made it back to the field.

We did, however get a video of each of our flights. Here they are:

DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
while you're doing it!

www.coxengineforum.com

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:41 AM »
My flight report is in the main forum. We did nine different pilots with no incidents.  :D
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline Mike Greb

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »
I won 2 PT-19s at the Tulsa Glue Dobbers contest raffle, a bit to late.  Oh well.  Next year if they are nod destroyed by them ? 

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here