News:

• April 23, 2024, 03:59:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My two latest 1/2A planes  (Read 1378 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
My two latest 1/2A planes
« on: September 06, 2020, 08:21:34 PM »
My latest Baby RM.  I wanted a new plane for our club’s Labor Day fly-in, so I decided to slap this together in a couple of evenings.  Nothing fancy, just a quick build with a quick cover using some left over covering from my F4F build. I wanted to get some video of this flying, but I forgot to put the memory card in my Mobius camera.  I’m not much of a flyer, so I had the club hotshot put a flight on it.  He asked what I wanted him to do, so I said, “Do whatever you think it’s capable of.”  So he did pretty much everything in the Beginner’s pattern.  The plane flies wings level both upright and inverted with a nickel for tip weight.  Plenty of line tension in the overheads.  I didn’t have to add any nose or tail weight with the 8cc tanked Bee engine.  Flew great right off the board on 30 foot lines.  Doug at WillieNillies done good with this kit.  As you can see, I saved time by using a Brodak engine mount.  I like them for my 1/2A planes.

After flying the BRM, the club hotshot showed me his old Flip that had about a thousand flights on it.  He recommended I build one, so I slapped this together in a couple of evenings also.  It’s a Dick Sarpolus design.  A TD .051 on bladder will power this.  I’ll try 35’ lines, and have a set of 40’ on standby if the TD tries to screw me into the ground.

Mark

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: My two latest 1/2A planes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »
Nice!  I like 'em both. Surprised you are running such short lines. Spectra? What size?

I'm betting that you're going to want some 42' lines for the TD job, unless your lines are really draggy.

Divot

PS--The Brodak plastic engine mount was designed by Larry Renger. Seems to work pretty good for me....

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2020, 02:44:16 AM »
Dave, it's been pretty windy lately so I'm running shorter lines.  I had a twin on 35' lines that got caught upwind and crashed from a wind gust two weeks ago, so I'll live with fast laps for now.  The 35' lines are 10# Spectra, and the 40' lines are 20#.

I remember reading a while back that Larry was the mind behind the mounts.  Some people don't care for them that much, saying the two fuse mounting bolt holes pull out after a while.  I've never had that problem.  I always have a few on hand for my spur of the moment projects.

Mark

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2020, 09:22:33 AM »
Yup, I plead guilty to the mount. I also gave him a design for a bellcrank and control horn design he never used.😪
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 11:35:37 AM »
Both planes look great. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
Took the Flip out today and put three flights on it before it got too windy.  It was just windy enough.  The plane literally jumps out of my hand on launch.   Yes, I know.  The word “literally” is literally overused, but weighing only 6.45 ounces and running a TD.051 on bladder, swinging an APC 6x3, this literally jumps out of my hand.  It’s just a tad tail heavy, so I’ll either try a heavy Cox prop nut, or just put a nickel on the nose.  Probably go the nickel route since I don’t like the idea of loading up the crankshaft with needless weight.

Here’s a brief video of the Flip flying.  I keep forgetting to turn on the camera before I start the plane, so this picks up a little after half way through the flight.  You can see how easily it goes through the maneuvers.  Sorry about the camera angles.  this is my first time trying to video someone else using my hatcam.

The Literate Mark

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2020, 06:20:26 PM »

I like the clean look of the Flip, even with the wing appearing like it's in backwards.  :)
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 04:24:05 AM »
I like the clean look of the Flip, even with the wing appearing like it's in backwards.  :)

Yeah, I was tempted to turn the wing and stab around so it looks more normal, especially since turning it around would make the stab area larger than the elevator area, but decided to build it per the plans in the end.  Who knows, I may build a second one since it only took a couple of evening to build this one. 

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2020, 07:50:49 PM »
Yeah, I was tempted to turn the wing and stab around so it looks more normal, especially since turning it around would make the stab area larger than the elevator area, but decided to build it per the plans in the end.  Who knows, I may build a second one since it only took a couple of evening to build this one.

I like it the way it is, it's a neat little plane.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here