News:

• April 24, 2024, 07:25:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tips for a first time builder with a Sig 1/2a Skyray kit  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Axle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Tips for a first time builder with a Sig 1/2a Skyray kit
« on: September 02, 2022, 10:46:05 PM »
Hello All.  I would like to build a Sig 1/2a Skyray kit and I'm looking for some tips.  It doesn't seem super complicated.  There are only three sheets of balsa in the entire kit.  But it did not go well when I tried to build a Sig Buster when I was 14.  I'm hoping for better results this time.

I was inspired by spectating at the Brodak Fly-In this year.  That was really amazing.  I had a Cox RTF P-51 when I was a kid, and I have a box of old Cox engines that I'm exited to get running.

I've been looking through many of these 1/2a building threads (there are so many) and I haven't found the specific answers I'm looking for so I figured I'd start my own thread.

1) The kit instructions (copyright 1977) recommend sig-ment for glue.  Is this still the preferred option?  It seems like most RC planes use CA and epoxy these days.  If sig-ment is still preferred, is there a hardware store equivalent?

2) The instructions also recommend dope for paint. What is dope?  What's the preferred finishing method these days?  I've used heat-shrink covering for RC models (eg Monokote), but maybe that's too heavy for the little Skyray?

3) The leadouts are plain wire twisted at the ends and sealed with epoxy.  Is this still the best way to make the end loops?

4) Fabric hinges?  Anything better?

5) Any areas where the kit could use improvement or modifications?  I've found references to the fuselage easily snapping ahead of the wing.  Also complaints about the bell crank and control horn.

6) How about lines and line length?  I have leftover Cox dacron line, but it seems like maybe steel lines are preferred?

7) How about trim and setup?  Here is the area where I truly have no idea what I'm doing.  I've seen many references to lead out angle, weight distribution, thrust angle, rudder position, etc and it all seems very complicated.  I figure I'll just follow the plans and hope for the best, but any tips would be appreciated.

8) And other advice for a beginner?

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
Re: Tips for a first time builder with a Sig 1/2a Skyray kit
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 11:19:18 PM »
I like to use 30 minute epoxy on something like that. Just make everything straight and square with no engine offset or rudder offset. Use the epoxy sparingly to keep the weight down.

For a finish I like Zap Zpoxy finishing resin thinned out with acetone and applied with an acid brush, 2-3 coats. Looks like crap but it's fast, cheap, easy and very fuel proof. Of course the best would be Klasskote  2 part epoxy paint.

Small planes are kind'a hard to fly. If I was learning I'd want the big Skyray 35.

Motorman 8)

Online Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2022, 12:49:45 AM »
Axle,

Hope you have a good time with your 1/2A Skyray. I have one I use for a beginner's trainer and it works great. Set up right, you shouldn't have any problem.

1. You can use Titebond or Elmers for most everything. Epoxy would be fine, too, especially around the firewall. But, in general the nose pieces have plenty of gluing area. Personally, I wouldn't mess with SigMent for this application.

2. You can always use dope, which is a traditional aircraft lacquer paint, but it isn't particularly fuel proof with glow fuel, and especially 1/2A glow fuel with 25-35% nitromethane. Some quick and easy--but not as long-lasting methods include painting with Rustoleum automotive primer and then a solid color. These are fairly fuel-proof for a while. But refueling a 1/2A is generally pretty sloppy, so....   An epoxy finish such as KlassKote is very fuel-proof, but unless you already have it on hand, it's not going to be worth it. You will only need a tiny amount and it won't be inexpensive.  Go read the many reports on Rustoleum and it will help you decide. On my current Skyray, I used MonoKote on the wings and KlassKote on the fuselage and tail.

3. The pull on a 1/2A plane is miniscule. The pull test is only five pounds, meaning that each leadout has to withstand without yielding a whopping 2-1/2 pounds. Twisting works. A cleaner method that works for larger planes is to form a teardrop loop in the end and then wrap with very fine copper wire and then solder it. You can go quick and easy, or you can use the Skyray to practice for building larger planes. See the attached picture of one of my 1/2A leadout terminations.

4. Fabric hinges are traditional, and work, but are part of a system. Typically a paint system to get them fuel-proofed. If you use them, do not use cotton fabric. Use dacron or some type of synthetic. You can also use sewn Spectra hinges if you put a spruce or basswood strip along the hinge joint. You can look up some prior threads that had pictures posted. I use these on 1/2As all the time. The Skyray trainer I am using now has a clear adhesive tape hinge. Works fine. The Blenderm tape is probably the best overall, but others work well enough. And if you MonoKote the surfaces, then a MonoKote hinge is easy.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/open-forum/thread-hinge-variations/msg638289/#msg638289

5. Everyone has mods for everything. I've even seen pictures of a Lamborgini that was "modified" into a rat rod. I guess you'll have to wade thru the "improvements" and use your best judgment. On my trainers, I put in a balsa triangle fillet under the stabilizer and beside the wing joints to increase the gluing area and to spread out the stresses from mishaps. I have not snapped the fuselage in front of the wing (yet). As long as you get some decently firm wood for the fuselage, you shouldn't have trouble. That said, you can keep "beefing up" areas that people have found broke in a crash. Pretty soon, though, you will have a very heavy plane that is good at crashing but not flying. I added a landing gear using a 1/16" plywood spacer to capture it. There should be pictures of that here as well. I fly from asphalt, so it helps keep things from grinding away, and lets pilots practice real takeoffs and landings. I haven't had any issues with the standard bellcrank or horn. These are very well proven parts, used on a lot of different 1/2A airplanes.
https://stunthanger.com/smf/12-a-building/sig-12-a-skyray/msg635133/#msg635133

6. Don't use the old Dacron lines. They are way too draggy and stretchy. I'd use 20 or 30 lb test Spectra at 42'. You can use the .008 stranded cable lines but most guys complain that they are too hard to handle without damaging them. And you need a handle for a 1/2A. That means no Hot Rocks or similar. You want the spacing at the handle to be around 1-1/2". The RSM-Renger handle is good.

7. Build it like the plan and it will work. I like to use packing tape to attach a big fender washer under the outboard wingtip on the fore/aft CG. This is great for training and for windy weather. It limits maneuvers, but if you are not doing loops, then it helps a lot. This is especially good for first flights.

8. Hopefully, you will be able to get a good, reliable (ie. clean, and not previously mangled or worn out) engine. Be sure to screw it to a block of wood and test it out before you ever put it on the plane. Get used to starting it. Two keys are using clean fuel with at least 25% nitro (that makes them easier to start) and a good battery system to light the plug. Expect to prime the engine before each flip. A spring started saves you from engines that want to run backwards. If you have trouble with the engines, send more questions. The most important tip of all: have fun!

One thing you will find:  there are a lot of guys who don't like 1/2A planes. They will tell you that they don't fly well, that they won't fly in a breeze, that the Cox motors won't start and are a PITA, and on and on. That bellcranks don't work because they aren't five-inchers. Etc. The fact is that if you can work on smaller parts and don't expect to get a $1,000 dollar plane that will "get you thru Advanced," a 1/2A plane can do a lot of initial training with low investment and low intimidation factor. If you have cubic dollars and only the best will do, then hire some guys to rebuild the larger ones for you....and you can still have a ball.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2022, 01:15:33 AM by Dave Hull »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2022, 09:51:57 AM »
Just a couple of notes on the excellent advice you've been given:

• You can use lots of different glues.  I prefer to use yellow wood glue on nearly everything (Titebond II at the hardware store), with epoxy for the heavily-stressed areas and CA when I'm impatient.  You could choose any one of these three and build the whole plane with it -- my recommendation is yellow glue for everything but the firewall, and epoxy for that one bit.
  • I'm going to double-down on the sewn hinges -- do a search for a how-to.  Typical kit wood for the tail feathers is pretty hard; if that's what you get you won't need to back it up with hardwood -- just sew through it.  Spectra thread (see below) will work, or plain old cotton carpet thread.
  • Get a three-pack of those teeny Crazy Glue tubes and shove it into your flight kit.  If a flight ends up with the plane in just a few pieces, you may be able to get back into the air with a field repair -- if you have glue
  • The "Spectra" that Dave mentions is brand of modern plastic braided fishing line (NOT MONOFILAMENT!).  Any brand will do.  You want 10 or 15 pound test, and you really want white or yellow -- the moss green stuff works just as well in the air, but you won't be able to see it against grass.
  • 0.008" metal lines are great when the model is in the air.  Before and after, they'll kink up if you look at them crosseyed.  I'd suggest not using it unless you're competing and want just a bit more edge.
  • Get some Sig 1/2-A handles -- if you want, you can get them from Sig, who may or may not have clear Lite-Coat dope in stock.  The key to buying from Sig is to browse their website, then call them on the phone -- their web site doesn't track what's in stock, but the nice farm ladies in the back office do, and they have Iowa farm-country manners, so you'll enjoy the experience
  • Have fun.  Make sure those old engines are clean -- specks of dirt that go right through a 35 look like boulders to a 1/2-A engine
  • Check back if you run into trouble -- we'll help you out, whether you want us to or not
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 11:54:41 AM »
Here we go again a newbie with no reference of where he is located.   You may have people close to you that could give a lot of personal help.  I was at Brodaks spectating also as the family won't let me drive and physical I'm still on the mens from problems.  As you can see at the end of this post is where I live.  Been flying and building planes since the 50's.   Ahy way a lot of good advice has been given already.  I too had to learn control line way back then by reading books, magazines and any other lirutature I could get until I found the Flying Eagles of Kansas City Ks.   Also after all these years I am still learning.  Remember to have fun. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 12:17:00 PM »
     For your first model, and one like the 1/2A Skyray, you can use pretty much any good wood glue. Use epoxy for the engine mounts and bell crank mount. For a finish, some guys are using polyurethane products because there is no hobby shop near them. If you are near Brodaks , just use their clear dope to make things simple. It will look nice enough and you can always build more, this  one is for learning how to fly! As far as the engine mount goes, if the current version of the Skyray doe not have the rubber band mounted engine, by all means add that. It's basically just two firewall pieces, one gets epoxied to the fuselage and the other gets the engine screwed to it like normal. there are ears at the four corners of it and when mating the engine to the plane, you just weave rubber bands around the ears. On impact in a crash, the engine gives with the rubber band and absorbs a lot of the forces and may even pop off. Then just rubber band it back on again and away you go. If that doesn't make sense, PM me with an email address and I'll send you some photos. You will love the 1/2A Skyray. Once you are comfortable with it, it is capable of most of the maneuvers we do flying aerobatics. Before building your kit, you can make patterns of all the parts for easy repairs and more models can be scratch built. I have a 1/2A Skyray that is built from coreplast political signs and yard stick that has the rubber banded engine mount , wing is held on by rubber bands also, and it more or less indestructible. it is just a bit heavier than an all balsa model but the weight comes in handy in a breeze.
   Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2022, 03:42:00 PM »
I’ve used lots of kinds of glue over the years and am back to simple wood glue like tight bond for most wood to wood connections. I agree with Dan on epoxy for the engine and bell crank mounts.

What Dan said about rubber band mount for engine is spot on if flying over pavement or short grass. I did a lot of 1/2a flying in a hay meadow were it was less important.

I also agree with braided spectra flying lines. Not monofilament. Not braided nylon. (I don’t know if braided nylon fishing line is even available anymore but just in case some is still laying around somewhere, it is springy like a rubber band.)

I also recommend sewn hinges. I’ve used the same kind of fishing line for hinges that I use for the flying lines.

I’ve had good success with rustoleum paint if I let it dry a couple of weeks before getting fuel on it. It may not hold up as well as some other finishes but it’s easy to use and readily available.

Go have fun.
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Axle

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2022, 10:27:41 PM »
Thank you all for the very helpful replies.  There is a lot to go over.  I've been researching all of the things mentioned so far for several hours.

1) Glue.  I have some titebond II and III.  I also have some Weldbond PVA glue.  It looks like the titebond II is also PVA so I'll probably go with that.  I wasn't sure if the PVA glues were fuel and finish safe.

2) For the paint, I'm definitely interested in "quick and easy".  KlassKote is a bit pricy, $50 for parts A&B.  I'll look into Rustoleum.  I'd definitely like whatever I use to be fuel proof.  That stuff gets everywhere.
If I were to use monokote on the wings, or maybe ultracote which looks to be a bit lighter, would I need to seal the wood first?  I've seen some comments about the thin sheet wing warping, and that sealing the wood might help?? 

3) Those wrapped and soldered leadouts look very nice.  I'm very comfortable with electronics soldering, but in this case are you wrapping copper wire around a steel wire?  Did you get the solder to stick to the steel?  I'm guessing that requires a lot of flux.

4) The sewn hinges look really very nice.  But how to you secure the ends of the line?  Epoxy, CA, a fancy knot?  Alternately, I think I already have some Blenderm tape.  Do you glue the Blenderm tape down, or is it sticky enough to stay put?

5) Thank you for the link showing the added reinforcements.  But the mention of reinforcement fillets for wing and fuse and hinge joint strips and such brings up another question.  Where would I find thin plywood, spruce or basswood strips, and other wood to add, assuming I can't find it locally?

6) For a handle, I have a Sig 1/2a handle.  I'm sure I have a Cox handle around somewhere.  But the Renger handle does look nice. 
For lines, I like the idea of the Spectra.  That looks like serious stuff.  Is there a consensus on the line weight?  Given that it looks like 30lb Spectra braid is only 0.011" diameter, why not go with 30lb?
For the line length, you mention 42' but the Skyray operating instructions say the maximum length is 30'.  What would be the best length for the first flight?

8) While I know nothing about building wooden planes, and my only experience with balsa is Estes rockets, I'm not worried about the Cox engines.  I have quite a few engines, not sure where I got them all, and I've rebuilt several of them and some are new (although late production).  I have some reasonably fresh Sig 25% fuel.  I made a test stand with a 2x4 and cinder block to test an engine for a Cox flying saucer I picked up.  I flew one like it with my dad, and I thought it would be fun to take my son out and see if we can loose it somewhere.  :)  But that hasn't happened yet.

As the drawbacks of 1/2a planes, I figured this simple kit was a good place to start.  I have a Sig Buster that I also picked up.  I'd like to give that kit a second try after I butchered the first when I was 14.  But mostly this is an exercise in trying to figure out all of details around flying.  Can I find a park that I won't get kicked out of?  Do people complain?  Can I convince someone to go out with me and help me launch it?  Will I get really dizzy? 

With that in mind I was trying to fix up an old Cox RTF F-15 that I gave my brother some 30 years ago, well enough to make at least one flight.  I tried to glue and patch the various cracks, but the fuel has softened the plastic so much that the cracks just pull open again.  So I gave up on that and moved on to the Skyray.

I also recently discovered that my FIL built CL planes as a kid, and he turned up a box of late 50s/early 60s engines.  I had no idea.  Seven engines!  All glued stuck as solid as can be.  I figure we should both go to the Fly-in next year.

As for where I'm located, I'm on the east side of Pittsburgh.  Brodak is about a 1.5 hour drive south, so not too far but not around the corner.  If anyone has recommendations for where to fly in Pittsburgh, I'd be happy to know.  I've scouted a few parks with a baseball diamond in a back field out of the way.  But I haven't turned up anything official, like a club or RC field that's convenient.

Offline 944_Jim

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2022, 11:42:46 AM »
Axle,
I'm painfully cheap. I discovered that Deft Clear Sanding Sealer smells.and behaves like Nitrate dope. It is a great balsa filler,.and topcoats with just about anything just fine. Deal with Deft, then spary with a (barely) colorcoat with just about anything, and then a quick, light spray of clear poly-utethane for fuel proofing.

Don't make a mistake and call this one your "forever" plane. That is, regard this one is a trainer, and don't spend too much time making it perfect. Trace all your parts so you can replicate at will (or crash). The idea is to be able to build/fly often as you settle into Roundie-Roundie flying.

Sewn hinges: I love them. Regarding the option to strengthen the hinge line...it isn't needed on these puny planes. I do "Frankenstein" hinges with the penetrations about 3/16" from the hinge line. I do drop a drop of CA at the start hole with a knot that gets clipped short just after the glue sets. I also try to use a non-conflicting color so I don't feel the need to paint the hinge. If the line feels a bit loose, then I CA each hole, and then the last hole (hardest to get a know tied right at the hole). Between the "far-from-hinge" holes and the CA, I haven't had hinges tear out in crashes. My favorite hinge alternative (though harder to implement) is floppy disk mylar cut into narrow strips that get CAd into hinge slots. Making the slots is a bit of work.

I like old butyrate dope...but I do mist the nose of the plane with poly-u spray just to make the finish last long enough to survive a few crashes. Once crash and fix has happened, the plane starts to look pretty rough...remember those templates and build another!

I prefer side tanks rather than Cox Babe Bees...just easier to troubleshoot if the engine fails to draw fuel.

Most importantly, don't get too hung up on your first few planes. Remember this IS supposed to be fun.

1/2A profile planes are a hoot! Jump over to CoxEngineForum for the comraderie of like-minded fellows enjoying their childhood again.

If you really want to do built-up wings and things, there are several 1/2A kitters in the cottage industry with kits that will you your building game. No financial interest, but I'm fond of Dave Cowell kits aka DPCModels/Aerowerkes. He has reproductions of Scientific and Sterling (and more) kits, and they are quite remarkable in that he reverse engineers the original issues/concerns out of the kit. There are others...Stan Fronenberger (Vintage Performance), and really good looking kits from one of the SH guys, Pat King (PDK LLC).

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2022, 08:16:01 PM »
Okay you Pittsburgh guys why don't you get in touch with this gentleman and help him out.  It is a little far for me to help.  I would say if you have a ball diamond not used much try it until someone complains.   I know there are guys in the area because of Brodaks.  The family went to the zoo while I sat at Brodaks. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here