News:

• April 19, 2024, 07:28:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thrust angle for a power pod?  (Read 602 times)

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Thrust angle for a power pod?
« on: March 28, 2023, 02:01:30 AM »
I had a project I started working on a couple of years ago, but had to put on hold when we moved.  A post in a thread over on the CEF reminded me that I needed to finish it up real quick so I can fly it at S.M.A.L.L. in a couple of months.  I was originally going to put it in my Q-Tee, but decided that a motor glider would be better to test the system out first.  I don’t have one at the moment, but the post had a foam glider with a 1/2A engine grafted to the nose.  Actually looked pretty good.  We’ve all seen them.  But, I don’t want to do a graft on the nose.  I do have a power pod that’s been sitting in a box for a few years and thought that that would be a fun afternoon project.  It is one of these Cox beam mount pods:

Now, I know the rules for down and right thrust for tractor engines, but I don’t remember ever reading about thrust lines with a power pod.  So, I went to OZ and did a search by putting “power” and “pod” in the search fields.  I downloaded 24 sets of plans for gliders with power pods, figuring I could just look at the average thrust lines and get an idea of how to set the pod.  Wow! Wide range.  Most were somewhere between +3 and -3 degrees.  One as low as -6 degrees and one at +16(!) degrees.  One design wasn’t even going to commit to a thrust line, so the pod had a pivot bolt and slot that would swing the thrust line between -15 and +15.  I guess that’s smart in that you can set your optimal thrust line for the finished plane/engine.  But the plans did not give a suggested starting position.  I know that with elevator control it's not critical, but I'm wanting to set this up for  rudder only control, so the thrust line has to give the glider a gentle climb under power with the plane trimmed for a shallow glide engine off.  Going old school here.

So, is there any good thumb rule for power pod thrust lines?

Mark

Offline Chuck Matheny

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Re: Thrust angle for a power pod?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2023, 11:09:54 AM »
I had a project I started working on a couple of years ago, but had to put on hold when we moved.  A post in a thread over on the CEF reminded me that I needed to finish it up real quick so I can fly it at S.M.A.L.L. in a couple of months.  I was originally going to put it in my Q-Tee, but decided that a motor glider would be better to test the system out first.  I don’t have one at the moment, but the post had a foam glider with a 1/2A engine grafted to the nose.  Actually looked pretty good.  We’ve all seen them.  But, I don’t want to do a graft on the nose.  I do have a power pod that’s been sitting in a box for a few years and thought that that would be a fun afternoon project.  It is one of these Cox beam mount pods:

Now, I know the rules for down and right thrust for tractor engines, but I don’t remember ever reading about thrust lines with a power pod.  So, I went to OZ and did a search by putting “power” and “pod” in the search fields.  I downloaded 24 sets of plans for gliders with power pods, figuring I could just look at the average thrust lines and get an idea of how to set the pod.  Wow! Wide range.  Most were somewhere between +3 and -3 degrees.  One as low as -6 degrees and one at +16(!) degrees.  One design wasn’t even going to commit to a thrust line, so the pod had a pivot bolt and slot that would swing the thrust line between -15 and +15.  I guess that’s smart in that you can set your optimal thrust line for the finished plane/engine.  But the plans did not give a suggested starting position.  I know that with elevator control it's not critical, but I'm wanting to set this up for  rudder only control, so the thrust line has to give the glider a gentle climb under power with the plane trimmed for a shallow glide engine off.  Going old school here.

So, is there any good thumb rule for power pod thrust lines?

Mark

Mark I tried this with a Q-Tee  and it worked great.
It was many years ago....but if I remember correctly the engine was rubberbanded to the Q-Tee wing and so it had  a considerable amount of UP thrust the way it sat.
I don't recall having any pitch control issues..just strap the pod to some place near the wing spar and have fun...!
The easiest "twin" powered model you'll ever build.
Set the model up with an elevator servo until you get the model trimmed for big loops....then fly it like it's "rudder only".
Back in the day when mini servos always broke I had my first chance to fly "rudder only" [because the elevator died with just enough "UP"]
« Last Edit: March 28, 2023, 03:27:08 PM by Chuck Matheny »

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here