News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:15:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The Traveling .010 Engine  (Read 796 times)

Offline Jim Carter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
The Traveling .010 Engine
« on: April 06, 2020, 02:44:57 PM »
On Tuesday, March 24, 2020, I received the Cox Traveling .010 Engine. Some of you might have heard of the Cox Engine Forum where the Traveling Engines are hosted. For me, it was quite a thrill to receive it and the decide to see what I could build for it. The rules allow the recipient to either fly it with a video or just do an engine run with a video. Personally, I’d prefer to build something and fly it but I am only supposed to hold on to it for 2 weeks. I suppose there is some leeway but I’d rather not press the “test” button”. Anyway, I spent a bit of time searching various plans, thanks to Aerofred and Outerzone, for something that would be quick, cute and relatively simple to complete. I settled on both the FLYING LICENSE PLATE designed by Berkley McCollum and the Tethered Terror TEE-NEE DELTA. Man, this has been fun!!  Now to get them in the air!

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: The Traveling .010 Engine
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 10:47:21 PM »
Nice!  That pink job is almost big enough to fit your new FAA license numbers and manufacturer's registration (VIN) numbers. That's tough to do on a 1/8A airplane. Let us know how they fly....

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 11:12:37 PM »

I don't see any sort of elevator control or anything on the Delta?
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2020, 09:05:07 AM »
Motor man
Jacob the creator of CoxEngineForum....CEF has a monthly Cox Engine Of the month with polling for a prise.

years ago the Traveling Engine, a Cox 049 went to dozens of states and a goodly number of other countries. Archived are photos of its travels and a lot of history of the areas it visited

Currently we are mailing a TeeDee .010 around the Globe...above Jim Carter currently has the lil jewel

CEF is without debate the nicest forum on the interweb...members are courteous and kind and giving...in all the years I have been member less than 5 have been shown the door

CEFis so much more than just dinky Cox Engines, cars, boats, RC, trains, generators, cars, motorcycles, tape decks, music videos, a very wide variety of people and interests but in general COX engines in common....Rusty Knowlton here doing the weekly Stunt Hanger Video call in is a founding member of CEF

we used to have a tach race,,,wish we still did...three or four categories of Cox engines mailed to one official who used same prop and fuel....highest RPM per category won a prise

we have an annual PT 19 fly in like Ringmaster round up

there is so much more....even our off topic or more adult redneck zone is mostly very civil ...yes some few hurt feelings but usually we work it out

can you tell I like CEF a lot?

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 09:47:30 AM »
Nice!  That pink job is almost big enough to fit your new FAA license numbers and manufacturer's registration (VIN) numbers. That's tough to do on a 1/8A airplane. Let us know how they fly....

;D ;D  You ain't kiddin'!!  "FA3X44P9TT" all present or accounted for!!  Thanks for the kind words and I will share the results ... assuming they are successful  :o !! LL~ LL~

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 09:53:05 AM »
I've never heard of the traveling engine. Are there other engines out there traveling? How does it come to travel to you?

Motorman 8)
Yeah man!!  You will have to join the forum and be an earnest participant.  Then request to be put in the mailing list.  The specific requirements are posted on the site.  Good luck!!   https://www.coxengineforum.com/h37-traveling-engines

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 09:59:11 AM »
I don't see any sort of elevator control or anything on the Delta?
You're correct!  It's called a tethered plane.  Honestly, until this event and my subsequent search for projects to build, I don't believe I'd ever heard of one other than as a kid in reading one of the old magazines.  I know, I've never seen or set one up!!  I guess it's one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to do it ... I don't want to risk damaging the engine so I'm trying to come up with a viable workaround before my time runs out.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 10:05:54 AM »
Motor man
Jacob the creator of CoxEngineForum....CEF has a monthly Cox Engine Of the month with polling for a prise.

years ago the Traveling Engine, a Cox 049 went to dozens of states and a goodly number of other countries. Archived are photos of its travels and a lot of history of the areas it visited

Currently we are mailing a TeeDee .010 around the Globe...above Jim Carter currently has the lil jewel

CEF is without debate the nicest forum on the interweb...members are courteous and kind and giving...in all the years I have been member less than 5 have been shown the door

CEFis so much more than just dinky Cox Engines, cars, boats, RC, trains, generators, cars, motorcycles, tape decks, music videos, a very wide variety of people and interests but in general COX engines in common....Rusty Knowlton here doing the weekly Stunt Hanger Video call in is a founding member of CEF

we used to have a tach race,,,wish we still did...three or four categories of Cox engines mailed to one official who used same prop and fuel....highest RPM per category won a prise

we have an annual PT 19 fly in like Ringmaster round up

there is so much more....even our off topic or more adult redneck zone is mostly very civil ...yes some few hurt feelings but usually we work it out

can you tell I like CEF a lot?
Fred, I believe you have amazingly summarized one of the best sites I have had opportunity to be a part of.  It is such a pleasure and relaxing forum and the guys/gals are truly courteous and most helpful!!  Thanks for encouraging and promoting it!

Jim 

Online Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 11:48:16 AM »
You're correct!  It's called a tethered plane.  Honestly, until this event and my subsequent search for projects to build, I don't believe I'd ever heard of one other than as a kid in reading one of the old magazines.  I know, I've never seen or set one up!!  I guess it's one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to do it ... I don't want to risk damaging the engine so I'm trying to come up with a viable workaround before my time runs out.

More correctly, this is a "RTP" model, which is a British designation for "'Round The Pole" type model. Quite popular over there for years and years. A way to fly small models indoors. They would even race them.  Aeromodeler has had dozens and dozens published. It was a way to use old slot car motors, and the power source didn't have to fly in the model as the lines were so short small wires could carry the current to the motor. Te very first electric " control line" models!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Shorts,David

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 12:11:11 PM »
I wish I had a photo of it. But (if memory serves) one of Jim Aron's (Systrema 1 & 2) brothers built a Pond Racer for .010 twins. It was flown on a tether to a pylon. I saw him trying to start it, and I'm certain it did fly. But I don't recall seeing it fly. Perhaps I can find a photo of it.

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2020, 09:02:53 AM »
   More correctly, this is a "RTP" model, which is a British designation for "'Round The Pole" type model. Quite popular over there for years and years. A way to fly small models indoors. They would even race them.  Aeromodeler has had dozens and dozens published. It was a way to use old slot car motors, and the power source didn't have to fly in the model as the lines were so short small wires could carry the current to the motor. Te very first electric " control line" models!

Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee
Yes, that is correct.  There are a few videos of them (RTP)  both electric and rubber powered on You Tube that intrigued me and I enjoyed but I couldn't find anything on the category that I built (nitro engine powered) which was titled "Tethered Terror Tee-Nee Delta" published American Modeler November/December 1965, page 23.

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 02:18:30 PM »
the plans for the license plat shows a 049, the plane is pretty small.

Did you shrink it or keep it full sized? ?
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2020, 04:56:51 PM »
the plans for the license plat shows a 049, the plane is pretty small.

Did you shrink it or keep it full sized? ?
Hi Dave!  Yes, you are right, the original plan calls for an .049 but I kept it full sized thinking that it might fly for the video I'm supposed to post, albeit slow.  If it fails, no problem at least I will have tried but can print out a smaller plan at say 65 - 75% and build it for posterity  ;D ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here