News:

• May 10, 2024, 04:16:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Scientific Zipper  (Read 1400 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Scientific Zipper
« on: October 20, 2012, 09:28:48 AM »
I was able to buy a Scientific Zipper kit from a gentlemen who didn't want it around.  There was evidence of a bungled attempt at assembly thereby destroying its collectability, but making the price right for me.

It was, of course, designed by the great one, Walter A. Musciano.

It's not usable for any event that I know of.  It's not a hollow log, but rather a box fuselage with a built up flat-bottom wing and a vacuum formed fuselage top.  I'm proceeding with assembly as a personal challenge.  Since I don't trust the dope to stick to the plastic very well, I'm attempting to mask & paint the top from the inside.
Paul Smith

Online kenneth cook

• Admiral
Re: Scientific Zipper
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 03:51:27 AM »
                   Paul , that certainly is a neat model. As usual, I'm sure your going make it look spectacular. Please post some pics when your model is complete. Ken

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 07:09:51 PM »
I'm honing on completion.  Progress has been hindered by a week of 70 degree weather which demands flying & other outdoor activity.  I got side tracked trying to get my Perky to work for the postal event. 

The color paint phase is done.  Now it's mechanical work and final clear coating.

Finding a really small pilot is the current challenge.  Inside-painting vacuum formed top went too well.
Paul Smith

Offline Jay

• Commander
  • 1 Cross +3 Nails= 4 Given
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 09:59:29 PM »
You do nice work Paul.  great seeing you at the flying circle today.  And WOW that Perky is fast when it flies!
My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind.
Albert Einstein

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 05:41:35 PM »
really nice job!   :)
love playing with 1/2a.
Any chance of you posting the instruction sheet.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
I got done.

4.8 ounces ready to fly. This will be my first venture into Spiderwire.  I was able to buy .006" fish line which is smaller than the .008" 7 strand corecable. I'm thinking 25-foot lines for the .020.

Unfortunately, this is not an easy plane to build from plans. The vacuum-formed top is quite a barrier. Of course you could substitute a wood structure.

With it's box fuselage and flat-bottom airfoil, the plane isn't much more than a novelty. To me, it's a chance to use one of my .020's.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 07:55:01 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:53 AM »
Hey Paul,  glad you got it done and wait for flying report.   Now, I have a question, "Did you ever finish the "Shark", or did I miss the report somewhere?
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
Unfortunately, the Jetco Shark, a homebuilt Magnum, and a Musciano 35-size Howard Ike are all in the incomplete area.  I hate to leave projects incomplete, but my interest just wandered other ways.  

I got involved in indoor free flight and as able to do 60 seconds with a Phantom Flash in a small gym last Friday.  The pictures are not my stuff, just an idea of what we're up to in the winter.  This is all very old school.  No talk of 2.4 and Lipos here.

Paul Smith

Offline Bill Smith

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 06:25:43 AM »
thanks for the scan. #^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here