News:

• April 23, 2024, 02:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TESTORS 1/2a engine no mount  (Read 974 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
TESTORS 1/2a engine no mount
« on: September 24, 2020, 09:33:28 PM »
Today I found what looks like an old testors engine. But  it has no apparent motor mounts and the needle valve comes out the back of the crankcase.

Offline Dave Hull

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: TESTORS 1/2a engine no mount
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 12:34:15 AM »
Does it have the black plastic crankcase? Those were used, for example, in the silver P-51s RTF's.

An amazingly gutless engine--at least the one I found. However, even with virtually zero compression, I was able to start it using 30% nitro and a healthy dose of castor.

The engine case slides into a cavity in the plastic fuselage. No other mounting provisions needed.

The Divot

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 02:22:13 AM »
I personnaly love the Testors pipe bomb engines.  Yeah, I know, it's really only a pipe bomb engine if it has the pot metal case.  I call all the Fly Em' engines pipe bomb engines.  A stock pipe bomb will give performance on par with a Cox Babe Bee engine.  With a Cox rubber ducky 5x3 prop, I find I get between about 13,900 and 14,700 RPM using the standard Testors plug and 25% nitro.  I've never run these with the Testors props, so I can't tell you how they perform with those.  Also, I wouldn't prop these above about 16,000 RPM.  I've heard from a member on another forum that he broke his crank running it up that high.  Again, I don't know this for sure, as the props I've used in the past haven't broke the 15K barrier.

There are no commercial engine mounts, nor any convenient way to modify a commercial mount.  I have made several mounts of my own for these.  Some complicated, a couple very simple.  Depends on what you want to mount these to.  Here's a quick motor mound I slapped together in about a half hour.  Just needed something to test a pipe bomb engine that I had just cleaned up and cut the tank back off of.  I forgot to recharge the battery on my camera, so you don't get to see em lean the engine out.  I think this is the one I was getting 13,900 out of:

You need to keep the plane weight below seven ounces to get any real pep out of them.  They will fly a plane of up to around 10 ounces.  That's the largest plane I've flown, but it only did roundy-roundy:

And for all you guys who think these engines are gutless wonders, I'll gladly take them off your hands.

Mark

Offline Mark Mc

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 02:48:59 AM »
Hmmm...  It just occurs to me.  In all the years that I've been playing with these engines, I've never tried increasing the compression.  I've always just used the standard Testors glow plug gasket.  The Testors gasket is aluminum and one Testors gasket is the same thickness as five Cox copper gaskets.  I think I should try running an engine with Cox gaskets, and remove them one at a time to see what happens.

Mark

Offline GallopingGhostler

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:19 AM »
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Testors%208000.html
http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Testor%208000%20%282%29.html

Photos are from above articles, Peter Chinn said the following in Aeromodeller (not in the links although links state similar, I downloaded article from another source 7 years ago but not sure where): On test, the 8000 was found to be considerably more peppy than the Testor McCoy 049 engine that it replaced and our particular example (which came direct from the factory in the U.S.) reached a peak output of approximately .094 bhp at 18,000 rpm when running on 15 percent nitromethane fuel and with the silencer removed. This is outstandingly good.

Rest of engine test articles can be found at http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Index.html

in 1974, Peter tested the Cox .049 Black Widow, it achieved .78 bhp at 15,500 rpm on 15 percent nitro (sub-port inducted (SPI) version.)

http://sceptreflight.com/Model%20Engine%20Tests/Cox%20Black%20Widow.html

So, in spite of its humble appearance, we have a reed valve engine that seems to approach performance levels IMO nearing the stock Cox .049 Killer Bee class. This is at least with the separately marketed complete engine. I don't know, perhaps Testors streamlined costs in production RTF's that resulted in detuning some of the "pipe bomb" engines. The only example I have is one 8000, rest the earlier front rotary valve engines.

In Cox Engine Forums https://www.coxengineforum.com/ there are threads where some have posted their various ways of implementing mounting the "pipe bomb" engine on an aircraft, videos and such that may be of interest.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 02:38:22 PM »
I hope to have a photo up by tomorrow and the back on it seems to just be a round plastic plug that fits into the back of the crankcase with a reed in it that does not stay in very well. Unsure if something is missing has a smallish black prop and and round white spinner.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 06:37:55 PM »
Here is a photo of the engine I found...

Offline Oldenginerod

• Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2020, 05:07:40 AM »
Here is a photo of the engine I found...
The rear housing is supposed to have a small ridge around it that simply clips home into a groove in the crankcase.  If it's loose there's not much more you can do with it apart from some sealant, glue or maybe teflon plumber's tape.  If you mean that the reed is loose in the rear housing, they are retained by a clip-on plastic collar much like some later Cox reed retainers.

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2020, 01:30:55 PM »
Any idea what the model the engines were used on since I see no motor mount for screws. So i figure it was helt in place in the model it might have been made for.. ?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2020, 09:59:57 AM »
Any idea what the model the engines were used on since I see no motor mount for screws. So i figure it was helt in place in the model it might have been made for.. ?

Testors was competing with Cox for a while in the early 70's, for the $12 RTF models sold at department stores. There were a bunch of various models of typical airplanes (Mustang, Zero, etc) that used these type engines. As noted, they just slipped into molded pockets in the fuselage with no screws, etc. - as long at the fuse halves stayed together it was captured. The airplanes flew about as well as any of that type, it would get off the ground and fly around level.   

I find it inexplicable how a few people call them "pipe bomb" engines, they don't look like "pipes" and they are not prone to failures.

The engines usually worked fine and put out adequate power, about like any of these McCoy/Wen-Mac based engines, and they started and ran OK, at least straight out of the box. Many times, after the first flying session, they would sit for a few weeks/months/year, and the castor would gum it up, and then it was hard or impossible to get running again. The fuel adjustment on at least some of them was not a needle, it was just a nylon rod with an "L"-shaped groove, and the adjustment was more-or -less fixed with 1/4 turn from one end to the other for a slight tweak. I think that the extremely shallow groove would get gummy castor in it, and then you couldn't get enough fuel through it. Since it wouldn't run that way, it was difficult to get enough fuel through it to wash out the gummed up castor, so most of them were one-shot wonders.

Brett

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here