News:

• May 12, 2024, 11:47:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tee Dee, or not Tee Dee, that's the question  (Read 891 times)

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
Tee Dee, or not Tee Dee, that's the question
« on: May 12, 2020, 09:21:38 PM »

Just wondering here. Relating to design, what are the specific performance differences between the Cox Medallion and Tee Dee .09 engines?  D>K
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
Re: Tee Dee, or not Tee Dee, that's the question
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:10:53 PM »
I'm no expert, but - unless you're running it for 6 seconds on a free flight model - I'd take the Cox Medallion any day for "everyday" use.

They are so much more forgiving and convenient, whereas the venturi and needle assembly on the Tee Dee can be a pain in the &#!@.

Some years back we used to practice combat with Top Flite Combat Kittens powered by Medallion .049s on bladders and short lines.  We could fly over and over again without doing anything but refueling and restarting.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 09:55:30 AM »
The TeeDee is very different (factory) from the Medallion in three significant ways (four if you consider power)

1. TD crank front induction....very large square port vs Medallion much smaller round port (significantly limits free flo ((less power))but dramatically increases ability to draw fuel / air from a hard tank)

2. TD cylinder vs Medallion cylinders..The (factory) TD has 2 by pass x 2 boost ports ...Medallion 2 by pass x 0 boost ports

3. Glow plug heads...TD typically has a high(er) compression trumpet shaped head vs Medallion standard bowl shaped (no such thing as Low compression glow head)

Both front induction engines can achieve significantly higher RPM vs reed valve same displacement COX engines

In standard factory configuration the TeeDee is a pain to start with hard tank...but very reliable with a pressure fuel system...Also to get more power many FF or combat or racers would deliberately open the venturie...certifying the need for pressure fuel system...dooh!

Conversely a factory Medallion was deliberately configured to be very easy to start on hard tank by the weekend hobby pilot

Today with Matt and Bernie supplying a lot of original or costume parts (but zero .051 stuff) we can mix n match a lot of combinations

I have built from new old stock many TeeDee engines for light combat foam wings....not on par with (now unobtainable) $50ish Aero NV .049s....but very fun engines....that said, a full TD build is about same cost of a NIB Cox .049 around $109~$125

I still have a couple NIB  .049  TDs and a hand full of costume builds ready for new homes...pm for details

"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline Wayne Collier

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 12:25:15 PM »

In standard factory configuration the TeeDee is a pain to start with hard tank...but very reliable with a pressure fuel system...Also to get more power many FF or combat or racers would deliberately open the venturie...certifying the need for pressure fuel system...dooh!

Did I just get an oddball TD?  I've only ever owned one TD .049.  I bought it new at two states hobbies in Texarkana TX around 1980.  Not sure if late 70s or early 80s?  I only used it with metal hard tanks.  Usually a 6x3 prop.  Only on a couple of planes.  I never thought of it as hard to start or hard to needle.  In fact it seemed way easier to start than the reedies with the "postage stamp" back plates.  Once I learned how to needle and prime, it usually started on 5 or 6 flips at the first of the day and 1 or 2 flips after a refuel.   I sold it because I told myself that I liked the bees with integral fuel tanks and at the time decided not to use beam mount engines for 1/2a.  At any rate, it never seemed like a problem engine to me.  Kinda confuses me when I hear people calling them hard to start?
Wayne Collier     Northeast Texas
<><

never confuse patience with slowness never confuse motion with progress

Offline Dennis Leonhardi

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • AirClassix on eBay
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 08:09:28 PM »
I've not found them hard to start either, but the venturis and needle assemblies on the several I've owned had a bad habit of coming loose ...

Dennis
Think for yourself !  XXX might win the Nats, be an expert on designing, building, finishing, flying, tuning engines - but you might not wanna take tax advice from him.  Or consider his views on the climate to be fact ...

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 09:20:17 PM »
 Just the type of details and info I was looking for Fred, thanks.

This helps with the final engine decision for my current Zero project. So, if anyone has a new (or like new) Medallion .09 out there I'd like to work a trade for the Tee Dee that I just listed in the Classifieds.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2020, 12:03:29 PM »
Just wondering here. Relating to design, what are the specific performance differences between the Cox Medallion and Tee Dee .09 engines?  D>K

Wayne's question was about the differences between the Cox Medallion and TD .09 engines.

What seems to be the response above is that all or at least most of the comments are about Cox Medallion and TD .049 engines.  I would also like to know the differences from those who have experience, physically and operationally, between the Cox .09 engines. 

Keith

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 01:32:27 PM »
Oops!  Perfectly true Keith.
I'll delete it.

-K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 09:55:40 AM »
I've always been a TeeDee man, with the exception of a couple Medallions got in a sell-off and didn't much like them.  Maybe the first owner abused them.  I'm never know.

True, the TeeDee venturi is a big large for suction, but I solved that by gluing it shut with JB, then redrilling it to usable size.  This was accomplished with the venturi unscrewed from the engine. This setup works fine for stunt and scale and the loss of power is minimal.

Another problem in 1/2A Combat was breaking the carb housing when checking the turf.  While carrying a good supply of spares was one approach, I came up with better root cause solution.

I put a Medallion carb body on the TeeDee and fashioned homemade dump tube, which was connected to rear remote NVA. 

Paul Smith

Offline Fredvon4

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Central Texas
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 07:48:12 AM »
Hey Keith...the ONLY difference with  Medallion or TeeDee .049 / / .051 //.09// .15 is bore n stroke all else is the same

for all who claim "I never had any problem starting a TeeDee" ...you might just ponder why on earth Cox developed and produced the Medallion...an obviously inferior engine....hummmm???
"A good scare teaches more than good advice"

Fred von Gortler IV

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 02:49:46 PM »

True, the TeeDee venturi is a big large for suction, but I solved that by gluing it shut with JB, then redrilling it to usable size.  This was accomplished with the venturi unscrewed from the engine. This setup works fine for stunt and scale and the loss of power is minimal.

Hey Paul, The post I deleted ( because Keith T. took exception to it ),
talked about all the TD / Medallion testing I did and I linked to
the video of it flying.
C'est la vie.

I took your advice and sleeved the TD .049 down using J&B
aluminum tube. The TD runs very decently with the sleeved
venturi and sucks the tank dry every flight.
Thanks for your spot on help.

FWIW my .049 Medallions also run fine but aren't as easy to
start. I guess everyone's experiences come down to the
individual engines.
- K.
Keith Morgan

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 03:50:54 PM »
Hey Paul, The post I deleted ( because Keith T. took exception to it ),
talked about all the TD / Medallion testing I did and I linked to
the video of it flying.
C'est la vie.

- K.

Hi Keith,

I was not taking exception to all of the responses in the language of Cox .049's, just that they were all about Cox .049's, not about the original question about Cox .09 engines. 

Keith

Offline goozgog

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 03:58:44 AM »
Hello Keith T,

Hope I didn't offend you. It was my oversight
about the .09 topic. You were correct.
  My only excuse is that this is a 1/2A forum and
the issues being discussed were about TD's being
difficult to run as stunt engines.